spur gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stang

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
what will happen if i change my 72 tooth gear to a 66 tooth gear should i change anything other then the spur gear

If I'm correct going to lower teeth will produce slight more top end but drop little bottom end. And no you wouldn't have to change anything else.

yes you are correct most people use high gearing for rock crawling and low for racing. If the gear pitch is the same as the CB then you donthave to change anythingelse.

Dont go too far either way on gearing because if your gear has too many teeth than you wont have any top end and too little and your acceleration will stink.

i think with a 66 tooth spur, i dont think that ur clutch bell would be able to reach, u wouldnt get a good gear mesh.

later

i put the 66 tooth on last night and the clutch bell did reach i got a good gear mesh i just need to go out and run it

are u running a 18th or 20th clutch? i once tried to put a 66th spur on my t-maxx with a 18th clutch and i couldnt get a good enough mesh.

later

I'm running the stock clutch not sure the size but its working but it could be becouse of the chassi plate I'm useing

i ran my maxx today with the 66 in it and it did go alot faster but now its hard to keep the front wheels on the ground

its not that easy...i put a 70 tooth on from the stock 72 and thought i had a good mesh...three times up the street and back and i had chewed it up. I put the 72 tooth on and no problems.

stang, are you saying you put a 66t spur gear in place of the 72t, and now the thing wheelies all the time?? You also said it's faster. Do you mean it accelerates harder, or that it has more top speed, or possibly both?

The wheelie problem doesn't seem to make sense to me, but I would be happy if it worked, LOL. I love wheelies.

Last edited:
Originally posted by stang
i ran my maxx today with the 66 in it and it did go alot faster but now its hard to keep the front wheels on the ground

I find it highly unlikely that the front wheels come off the ground with that gearing. If you are running a stock engine, 20t clutch bell, and 66t spur, you will increase your top end and loose a lot of torque. Do you have a .21 or better in your Maxx?

Well if it's geared high and has the power, it should toss those front wheels right up from under the truck.

i tried to put a 64t spur on mine, chewed it up from the gear mesh, put on a 68, and surprizingly, it roosted wheelies without the bad mesh. what happens with the stock gear, it runs out of revs too quick, so it can't pull roost in first gear, and definitely can't in second.

what size tires do you have on it?

just regular sized tires, no 40 sieries or anything, they are really soft compound though. never slip.

If you are running (66 & 20) your gear ratio would go from 3.6 (stock 72 & 20) to a 3.3.

So if you are throwing wheelies w/ a 3.3, then you should definitely be throwing wheelies w/ the stock 3.6 setup.

A Lower Numbered Ratio is actually a "Higher Ratio" and = Higher Top End, Slower Acceleration.
Why? Because the WHEELS turn at a HIGHER rate the lower the ratio.
Higher Top Speed - Less chance of wheelies.

Check this link out

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/reviews/ratio.htm

Later....

For those of you having trouble getting the right gear mesh with the lower toothed spur gears, try using the dremmel tool to lengthen the motor mount holes on the chassis plate. This should allow you to slide the engine over further, and help solve those mesh issues.

what i meant, digital, is that with the other spur gear, it shifts too fast, and lets down the momentum that will make it go into a wheelie. with a larger spur, you will have less power, but the first gear will have a larger range of rpm. thats what i meant. i know about gear ratios. with the bigger spur, the engine runs out of revs in first too fast. that is why i can wheelie with the other spur.

Back