Spam

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing you can do is inform your friends and family that have your email address is "Don't send me eGreetings from a website!". This is a slam to eGreetings and I apologize but it's an example. Disreputable domains harvest email addresses.

eGreetings' site states its privacy policy but others may not.

I always avoid any place that asks for a recipent's email address. I'm protecting myself and others.

In addition, your email address can be harvested from an email that you send to someone. (AOL users... can you forward the original message w/o all the header info?). They forward it with all headers intact to a user with a virus-infected machine and the virus can pluck your email address and spoof a virus-infected email to someone else.

Then you get angry emails from an innocent claiming that you tried to send them a virus. It's not your fault.

I run Symantec Antivirus and firewall on my local machine. My ISP runs my mail through their own spam filter. Questionable emails have the subject prefixed with {****spam****}Free C1@l1s! (or whatnot).

It's not just your habits, but the habits of your email recipients. They can always compromise you.