Small connector vendor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainman2

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking for small two and three pin electrical connectors to be used on a model train.
The locomotive is a live steam engine that has a three phase steam driven alternator for lights etc. I am trying to add a rectifier and voltage regulator so that I can use LED bulbs. I need small connectors so that the components can be easily installed or removed. Any suggestions on where to get these I often see them being used on RC planes for servos etc.?

IMG_1470.jpg

I am looking for small two and three pin electrical connectors to be used on a model train.
The locomotive is a live steam engine that has a three phase steam driven alternator for lights etc. I am trying to add a rectifier and voltage regulator so that I can use LED bulbs. I need small connectors so that the components can be easily installed or removed. Any suggestions on where to get these I often see them being used on RC planes for servos etc.?

View attachment 168010
Absolutely beautiful.

Welcome to the site. Any more pics of that beast, maybe dimensions? 😁

there is a vast variety of connector we use . a vendor will have to be of your choosing.not sure any of the gear we use will take the heat of a steam engine.gl
1687889196452.png

Welcome to the site. Any more pics of that beast, maybe dimensions? 😁
The engine and tender are 8ft long and weight ~500lbs. It has a steel boiler which runs 120psi and burns coal.
The suggested connector are just what I am looking for, thanks. I will poke around Amazon to find a kit that will work for me.

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

For 3 wires connections Id use Futaba connectors. For 2 wire connections Id use JST-RCY connectors. Or you can get THIS set that has both.
It is difficult to see how these connectors work from the pictures. What I am trying to do is connect three wires from the alternator output to the rectifier (polarity does not matter). Two wires from the rectifier output to the voltage regulator and last two wire output where polarity will matter.
I need a kit that will satisfy these requirements the will include connectors, wire and crimping tool. This is a one-off job I will probably not be using it again, so I don't want to by more than I need.

Will the same crimping tool work on both the Futaba and JST-RCY connectors?

The crimping pliers I linked above are compatible, that's what I use on my Futaba compatible connectors for my cars.

Be sure to watch the video on the product page to see a demo on how to use the crimpers, very easy once you see how they work!

I suspect the included connectors in the kit will be more than sufficient for your project needs.

They will work on both. The pins in both connectors are nearly identical. That being said, the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to buy the crimper and connector set that Bill linked and then only use two wires and two pins in the connectors instead of three where you only need two. Thats what i would do anyway.

Back