simple exhaust question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I think the side exhaust is better for performance and you have a better selection of pipes......However, I hate the big hole hacked in the body and for simplicity I run the THS set-up on my Revo. Works good enough for my taste and it will still ride a wheelie forever if I feather the throttle correctly. So CAN you use a rear exhaust...yes but your choices of an actual tuned pipe are VERY small.

make your own this works but needs some tweeking
picture.php

Exhaust pipes for nitro engines are "tuned", this is why they are shaped the way they are. An exhaust like yours will at least kill performance, if not kill your engine.

actually goes faster and has been running fine for 2 months now the only thing is its very loud so I'm going to swap the mid section for 8mm pipe

If it goes faster then that means the pipe you had before was totally garbage. But being into this as long as I have I have a hard time beliving that can increase performance. Looks like you would get zero back pressure to the engine and to the fuel tank. Sorry if that is hard to belive I just have never seen any thing like yours that actually works. Novel yes but I am betting it is not as functional as you think it is.

There is up to 25% power to be lost going from a "good" tuned pipe to what you have there which is just a muffler. It may sound faster but with a good tuned pipe it would be faster and more powerful, up to 25% worth ;)

Hey glad to see you chime in Robin. Yes I agree there is no real way that thing on there is going to produce MORE power. If it did we all would be using plumbing hardware vs. dropping big cash on quality tuned pipes.

Yeah Joey, been there and done that, even with restrictors, fuel pumps, different lengths and sizes etc. Nothing will add more power then a properly made tuned pipe with divergent and convergent cones, proper volume, length, back pressure etc. If the pipe wasn't so important to the proper operation of a nitro engine, I would have spent the last 14 years working on other things lol.

Don't 2 sroke engine ehxaust pipes require some sort of expansion chamber for proper tuning and back pressue? Which I don't see on that rig.

The red and blue cone sections are where the pulse is manipulated to give you the power and rpm gains, without them there is no way to use the exhaust pulse to your advantage.

ImportedPhotos00005-1.jpg

The number of fittings in this pipe restricts the flow making the back pressure plus the first elbow is restricted inside with wire wool and solder halving the diameter and flow creating back pressure to push the fuel

Rd logics makes a rear facing exhaust and look badassness

Yeah they do and it does not work well either. I use a tube sock for an air filter and it works Awesome!

I don't use a filter at all...because you can never have too much power :p:

Even better!! I like that even better in a dusty environment so all the dust helps scrub off all that pesky chrome lining in the sleeve.:D

I prefer PVC pipe and fittings for my exhaust because it weighs less than copper.

I might change it to 8 mm copper to save on weight an put 15mm to 8mm reducers for tail pipes to give the same look

Does anyone have experience with the Picco 26max and the THS 146B rear pipe for big block engines?