Selling Sony-DSC717, wanting a new camera...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just dont shop at CC they opened my video camcorder to make sure it was ok (after returning the first one broken) and when I told them I didnt want it (I did take it home for like 12hrs) they wanted to charge me 15% restock fee even though they know they opened it up. I had to play a game to get around paying the fee. Just kinda left a bad feelings and when I called the customer care line they pretty much said "ya so?"

~Michael

Hey Woodie,

Check out this link for great reviews on digital cameras

http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm

Go to the best cameras link, you'll find more of the super zoom cameras there.

personally, I shoot with a Canon A80, 3X zoom 4MP. It is plenty of zoom and you can get a telephoto lens for it if you need more zoom. I believe the A80 has been replaced by the A85, which has a larger fixed LCD. I also just bought a Nikon D70 for my wife who is a photographer. She used to shoot film only and I finally converted her to digital with the D70. She absolutely loves the D70! It is a little bigger than what you are looking for though...

Some things to consider when getting an ultra compact camera is that the lighter and smaller the camera is, the harder it will be to keep it steady when shooting pictures. If you shoot mostly stills make sure you get a camera that has a tripod mount. That is what I like about my A80, it is small enough and has some heft to it, making it much easier to shoot. Also has a tripod mount for portraits and stills. I also considered the Nikon Coolpix 4200 (thats what was out at the time) but it just felt a bit too light for me.

Also, whatever camera you end up with, try to get one that is in the business of photography, like Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, Kodak. I'd stay away from the offerings from HP, Gateway, Samsung, etc.

Some good online retailers are def B&H as mentioned though their prices are sometimes on the high side, Calumet and abes of maine are also a couple good ones. Stay away from A&M photoworld, their sales tactics are absolutely sleazy, they try to sell you a camera for dirt cheap and then sell you the stuff that comes with it like the battery and charger later in a "call back".

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I just got a Casio Exilim Z55 for myself as xmas present + upgrade to my current Minolta. I have to say it is compact and loaded with tons of features. This will be my third digi cam. The first was Sony, I personally don't like it because the memory is too expensive. If you are getting smaller size Sony's digi cam, you gonna need duo type of memory and it is cost twice more than normal memory stick. And normal memory stick is cost twice than compact flash or sd memory.

The thing that impressed me about Z55? It will able to shot 400 photos with one charge. With 5MP, it is not a bad camera. 3 x Optical zoom & 4 x Digital zoom. Huge 2.5" screen.

The cons? Fussy indoor quality compared to the Minolta DimageX I have right now.

I bought it at Circuit City for 339. You be able to find it cheaper from online store. But, I am in hurry and need it for my vacation on 24th dec.

sweetdiesel,

Wow thanks for the info and the link - finally a site that has REVIEWS on cameras and not another site that just repeats the manufacture specs.

I have seen the D70 and have read a lot of people really liking it, however I'm not sure that would make a very good "pocket camera" ;) Once I get back from my trip I'll be ready to purchase the new camera then, I'm hoping to get more info while in NY, then come back to a local camera shop and hopfully get a lil more info then purchase from there. This way I know I'm talking to someone that actually knows something about cameras and not just some sales kid reading off the fact tag to me.

Thanks guys!

-Michael

An important thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the feel of the camera in your hand. Make sure your finger naturally migrates to the shutter button and doesn't get confused with others like the power button. This is important. My brother has a camera that is awful in this respect. Everyone is doing the cheese thing and hes always turning the camera off instead of taking a picture. Also look at the power up time. Nothing is worse then missing a photo due to power up time.

Just a few more things to throw into the mix.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/4521-6530_7-5021301-2.html?tag=subnav

Last edited:
I've found this place to have the best prices, I just got a Fuji 340A (4megapixel intro level) for 153 shipped to my place. They have just about any brand and model currently on the marked.

linkey!

Then just go through the search!

Hey woodie I think you'll find more info in some of those NY shops...they are a camera Mecca...don't go to the glitzy looking ones cause they usually sell refurb stuff at ridiculous high prices, but whatever the guy tells you the price is, they'll sell for half of whatever they tell you...W20th & W19th st between 5th and 6 th ave has all the real camera shops but they are all in office buildings so they aren't obvious....but you will get excellent knowledge and reasonable if not good prices.....remember you get what you pay for....look in the yellow pages for camera shops on those streets the adresses will be in between 1 and 100....trust me I used to film Skate videos for local companies up there and had to deal with these shops all the time they'll bargain w/ you too. Actually they'll know your from outta town if you don't and then your screwed....BTW you have PM...
have fun in NYC

Hey Woody what kinda camera did you end up going with?

What is going too be your asking price on your Sony DSC ??? MY boss is looking for something..

LMFAO wrong boss! but the wright awnswer

And ya she does and it sucks :hump:

Mike02vr6 said:
Hey Woody what kinda camera did you end up going with?

I just got back from Long Island yesterday and haven't been able to go buy one yet. Hopefully sometime this week though.

Zandor and everyone else that's interested - My plan is to put the camera up on eBay with a starting bid of $1.00, however I've noticed camera's like mine are going for about $450-500. Mine will also include the charger, USB cable, USB memory card reader, as well as (2) 128MB and (1) 64MB memory sticks. The camera is in flawless condition minus two or three VERY VERY minor spots at the bottom edge of the camera (looks like when I had the camera around me neck and the camera resting on my coats zipper, again VERY minor!).

That's the plan, unless someone wants to make an offer I can't refuse. No trades, sorry guys.

-Michael

I got 5 for mine 4-5 months ago.
At that price with the extras it will go fast.

My offer is in

WoodiE said:
I just got back from Long Island yesterday and haven't been able to go buy one yet. Hopefully sometime this week though.

Zandor and everyone else that's interested - My plan is to put the camera up on eBay with a starting bid of $1.00, however I've noticed camera's like mine are going for about $450-500. Mine will also include the charger, USB cable, USB memory card reader, as well as (2) 128MB and (1) 64MB memory sticks. The camera is in flawless condition minus two or three VERY VERY minor spots at the bottom edge of the camera (looks like when I had the camera around me neck and the camera resting on my coats zipper, again VERY minor!).

That's the plan, unless someone wants to make an offer I can't refuse. No trades, sorry guys.

-Michael

Back