Cameras, Digital or Film

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Cameras

Lessen said:
Do you have an SLR? or a point and shoot?

.................................................. .................................................. ..
Rolex said:
Lessen, it's the Olympus SP-510UZ. 7.1 mp. I love this thing.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?fl=2&id=1268

.........................................................................................................

Rolex what did you give for that camera ? I just got the Evolt 510 and did not even know about that one you got.
.....................................................................................
Rolex said:
Check out the link above for the info.
I've seen them as high as $378, but I got it at Circuit City for 250 about 4 or 5 months ago.
I'm seriously impressed with both the features it has and the quality of the shots. Even the video is quality.
If it fell out of the car tomorrow at 60 MPH I'd go get the exact same one.
..........................................................................................................................
Our Circuit City sucks, I never get to see any of the good new stuff like I did when I live in San Antonio. I just paid $700 for the Evolt 510 with 2 lenses.
.........................................................................................................
Rolex said:
I was expecting to pay that much or more till I came across this one. I think it's worth 3 times what I paid for it. Like most technical gadgetry these days, it took a while to get used to all its' features, but soon enough you can whiz through the menus and settings without carrying the booklet any more.
I had 2 HP digitals, that I gave away because they ate batteries something unbelievable. This one has now taken over 600 shots on it's first set of Alkalines, and I don't turn off the LCD screen when I'm using it. The Olympus program also allows me to work with the photos in RAW format.
...........................................................................................................
Can you attach a good flash to it? We have a Rebel XT with a Speedlite flash.. that flash is amazing! I mean amazing. Everytime I take an r/c pic for a thread it turns into a photography project. I enjoy being self taught so I just fiddle around with it untill I get the effect I need. A good flash does WONDERS when it comes to showing true colors.
............................................................................................
Lessen, I would like to see some of your pics. Do you have any on here ? I am just learnig, I have always had Olympus cameras. I guess you can't teach an old dog. My daughter has the Nikon D40 and it takes sweet pictures, I hope my Olympus dose to, I just have not had the time to play with it yet.
............................................................................................
Ofna1 said:
Lessen, I would like to see some of your pics. Do you have any on here ? I am just learnig, I have always had Olympus cameras. I guess you can't teach an old dog. My daughter has the Nikon D40 and it takes sweet pictures, I hope my Olympus dose to, I just have not had the time to play with it yet.
.............................................................................................
Lessen said:
Well, I don't want to clutter up this thread with pics but if you want to check out my photobucket album, my username is Lessen_photos. Most of the photos there were taken with the Rebel XT with a Speedlite 430EX

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we got started on cameras in another thread I thought it was a topic that could use some discussion. I'll move the other posts here.
Tell us what you have, and what features you like or dislike.

Well, I screwed it up. I merged them instead of moved them, and now it's everyone's comment in one post. I'll try to ID the ones I remember.
If you don't see your user ID listed above, it's because I forgot who posted it. I did my best to organize it.

Last edited:
i have the nikon d80 with a tamron 18-200 lens. i love my camera. so far its yielded some amazing pics.

Canon 30D with 17-40 wide and a 75-300. Had that camera for just over a year and prolly have taken over 25K photos with it. There isn't a damn thing it won't do except work with the little Canon remote, not sure why Canon did this. Also have Canon IS850 that works pretty well for a point and shoot when we don't want to or can't lug the big one with us.

I've been looking into adding a telephoto lens to mine, even though it has a 10x OPTICAL zoom. I think the digital zoom is 50 or something, but I never cared for them. You give up too much actual pixal quality.
Optical zoom was one of the main features I wanted when I shopped around.

I have a little Nikon coolpix 5600. It takes awesome huge photos, great resolution and quality, except under bad lighting since the flash kinda sucks.

Overall great little camera that doesn't weigh much. Sucks the crap outta batteries though.

I have a little Nikon coolpix 5600. It takes awesome huge photos, great resolution and quality, except under bad lighting since the flash kinda sucks.

Overall great little camera that doesn't weigh much. Sucks the crap outta batteries though.
I've got the 4100. It takes good pics. If ya just want something to fart around with.

Got the same problem with the flash. I took a lot of pictures at the Air Force museum last year. They sucked. Dark as hell.
Had a 20 year old Yashica when I went in 1998, the pics were great.
Not liking the zoom either.

I'd like to ge a good all around camera.

We have a Canon 18-55mm lens on our XT. We also have a Tamron 25-300 which is super cool.. especially at a Nascar race. I got some shots of cars on pit road and you'd think I was standing on the outside of the track when I'm actually all the way in my seat. Nice!

I bought my wife an Olympus point and shoot for X-mas. I agree Ralph, optical zoom is what to look for. Her little Olympus is like 5x optical which was better than the competition (4x)

Without going for $700 or more, I narrowed it down to the Olympus or the Sony next to it. For 100 more, the Sony offered nothing more other than being black rather than silver. Same 10X zoom, and this one also included a special with a 512 Mb mem card off the rack. When I showed the salesman the ad that I was also supposed to get the memory card, he was pretty impressed with the deal. So was I.

I love my Canon S3. It's a couple years old and has 6 megapixels and a 12X optical (not digital) zoom. It's a great camera, it's not a DSLR but still great. It has a smaller body than a dlsr but not as small as a point and shoot.
I just looked and the new version, the Canos S5 has 8 megapixels and 12X zoom.
The greatest feature that i love is the macro and supermacro mode. The super macro mode is great for taking CLOSE up shots of objects, that's how i take the close ups of the parts on my revo. It'll take a picture as close as you can get to it, like a quarter of and inch.
It also has image stabalizization which has helped me a lot and the video mode on this camera is better than most that i've tried. It'll take a 640x480 video at 30 fps which i have found to be a great quality video that works great for editing together an making small home videos. Oh, and it gets stereo audio pick up via a left and right mic on the body of the camera. Check it out if you don't quit want a dslr but not one of those dinky cameras that girls keep in their back pocket.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp
And i just read that the new S5 can use an optional Tele-converter, wide-converter and close-up lens.

I noticed that it's also got a hot shoe, something I totally forgot about when I bought mine. So far, though, I haven't had any lighting problems without it.
If I need to, I can always add a sync flash, even though it needs a handle that threads into the tripod mount.

I have a Nikon F (F-SLR), Nikon FG (F-SLR), Nikon N90s (F-SLR), Nikon N70 (F-SLR), Nikon D50 (DSLR), Nikon Coolpix 800 (D-P&S), and a Canon A570IS (D-P&S). I also have many Nikon lenses (fast primes and zooms) and speedlights.

Back