scx24 4 link and stuck screw

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimh

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
Hi, I am thinking of doing the 4 link upgrade to my deadbolt using the spare parts that came with it. However I have come a cropper at the planning stage as one of the screws into the skid plate turns but doesn't come out. (A in the pic). Is this a hint to not bother trying? or any ideas as to how to remove the screw without causing major damage?

Then if that does come loose I am puzzled as to how to fit the 2 top links to the servo tray. (B in the pic) I have looked at several videos but it isnt clear to me. The current extension at the back of the tray holding the top link is presumably only theaded on one side. If so how does one fit the two new top links to it?
scx24deadbolt.jpg

If someone wants to jump in and say dont bother this isnt worth doing that's fine with me. At the moment I do not think the drive shaft is rubbing the top link so unless this upgrade improves crawling it might be best leaving well alone?

Thanks for any suggestions.

id use a soldering iron or a butane lighter and a Phillips screwdriver . put as little heat to the screw head and try and melt the screwed into area let it sit about 30 minutes see if screw will no hold so u can back them out

id use a soldering iron or a butane lighter and a Phillips screwdriver . put as little heat to the screw head and try and melt the screwed into area let it sit about 30 minutes see if screw will no hold so u can back them out
Brilliant idea - I'll give that a go - thank you.

I've been doing quite a bit of wrenching to my SCX24s and I have not come across this issue of not being able to back a screw out. TNT's suggestion is pretty clever, so hopefully it'll work for you.
For part B: the front upper link is easiest to access via removing the top 2 screws of the front shocks.

Last edited:
I've been doing quite a bit of wrenching to my SCX24s and I have not come across this issue of not being able to back a screw out. TNT's suggestion is pretty clever, so hopefully it'll work for you.
For part B: the front upper link is easiest to access via removing the top 2 screws of the front shocks.
Yes it was frustrating - may be I was too quick at turning it.

top link.jpg

The bit I am puzzled about is how to fit the 2 new links into the back of the servo tray. the protrusion on the left will be threaded but the one on the right marked in red is presumably unthreaded. So I wonder how you would attach the link on that side?

View attachment 140448
The bit I am puzzled about is how to fit the 2 new links into the back of the servo tray. the protrusion on the left will be threaded but the one on the right marked in red is presumably unthreaded. So I wonder how you would attach the link on that side?
If I understand you correctly, you seem to think that there are 2 separate front upper links. If so, then this is not the case. The front upper link is actually a single V-shaped link. So, only a single screw is needed.
0112220740.jpg

If I understand you correctly, you seem to think that there are 2 separate front upper links. If so, then this is not the case. The front upper link is actually a single V-shaped link. So, only a single screw is needed.
Sorry I haven't been clear. As I understand it converting to a 4 link suspension means removing that wishbone upper link and replacing it with the two lower arms and replacing the lower arms with the slightly longer arms that came in a packet with the deadbolt. This has the effect of extending the wheelbase a little, Improving the range of movement of the front axle and by removing the wishbone link reducing the possibility of the drive shaft rubbing against it. After this mod the front suspension has the same pattern as the rear.

Sorry I haven't been clear. As I understand it converting to a 4 link suspension means removing that wishbone upper link and replacing it with the two lower arms and replacing the lower arms with the slightly longer arms that came in a packet with the deadbolt. This has the effect of extending the wheelbase a little, Improving the range of movement of the front axle and by removing the wishbone link reducing the possibility of the drive shaft rubbing against it. After this mod the front suspension has the same pattern as the rear.
Ok, if that's the case, then what I would do is find/use one long screw( +10mm) that could cover both links, plus the servo tray bracket, and still have enough length to be able to fit a nut.

Ok, if that's the case, then what I would do is find/use one long screw( +10mm) that could cover both links, plus the servo tray bracket, and still have enough length to be able to fit a nut.
Correction: screws to be around 20mm

Back