Savage XL Roto-Start FRUSTRATION

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outdoors2

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Howdy gents! I bought my new XL (which I love!), and I'm 2 tanks into the break-in with a headache caused by roto-start. The concept is brilliant, the design reasonable, but the execution incredibly frustrating. It keeps locking up, tripping the breaker, draining the battery, etc. The only thing I've found so far that consistently starts the K5.9 is my drill in the roto-start. It's as if the roto-start simply isn't powerful enough to force that motor to turn over. So, unless you guys have any other ideas, I'm going to keep using my drill to start this beast at least until the sleeve and piston mate properly. Your thoughts???

Because your engine is new, its going to be very tight. You can pre heat the engine using a hair drier or something just to loosen it abit. But I would just slacken the glow plug off a bit and then start it up. Once its started tighten the glow plug back up. Also make sure your not flooding the engine. That will also cause the roto start to struggle.

lol guy has this posted on every r/c forum you can think of.

He is desperate for help.
I solved his issues over on RCTech.
OfnaHyper and I think alike.
Hopefully this guy can figure it out.

Thanks MudWild680!!! Definitely in need of assistance, and I appreciate your input and taking the time. Looks like we surf the same forums! ha!

I use the old roto starter on my XL 5.9 the new roto start2 just doesn't seem to have as much torque as the old one. The old one spins mine over just fine

I used to use the old school(1st Gen, 7 years ago) roto start and it would always give me a headache! I finally just pulled the stem out and put it in my porter cable 18v cordless drill,, problem solved,,forever!!