Savage XL is it worth it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwthomas75

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am just starting out in the nitro world. I all ready have a EVO Warhead, which I broke it a couple of times. This time it is costing me $100 to fix. I am looking for another nitro 1/8 truck and I came across the Savage XL. It caught my eye with it's size and hp. My question is this. Is the Savage XL a good deal for the price they want? I think it is, but I would like an opinion from someone that knows more than me about nitro trucks and the HPI brand. Thanks ffor your time.

I have to say the savage that is on the market now is a far superior savage to the original. Better pipe, engine, steering, diffs, trans, the list goes on.

If I were in the market for an out of the box basher, I would more than likely end up with the XL.

I've had quite a few rigs over the years, so far my favorites are the LST* and the savage. The LST* is a bit fragile comparatively, but it can be pretty easily upgraded to take some serious abuse as well.

the savage XL is a great durable truck
it's worth getting it
you wouldn't be disappointed

HPI Savage XL all the way

The hpi savage Xl is the truck to buy in my opinion if you are looking for the most durable basher on the market. i have had several monster trucks, the traxxas t-maxx, losi lst, traxxas revo, xtm mammoth.. and i have definately done my homework, and savage XL runs circles around them all!! no joke... THE EVER LASTING SAVAGE! TOUGH...TOUGH... i have ran two and a half gallons through my XL and i havnt broke any thing, i even landed flat on its top fom about 8 feet in the air... landed soo hard the engine actually slide away from the spurr as far as it could go.. but anyway my money is on the savage.. wont let you down!

Re: reply

The xl is a great truck bought it for my first nitro Broke mine alot but I'm a little extra hard on mine than most people I have done 20 foot drops and i only broke one rear axel carryer you will love it

The truck is worth it but the engine isn't....The 5.9K is the biggest pain in the butt engine i have ever seen...Its slow,overheats (sometimes) and is hard to tune and is a pain to break in.

I would get one...but i would sell the engine and get something else....

But if you want to avoid that i would just get the X 4.6 RTR for $400.

The engine needs some patients and a new tuned pipe, but it's a powerhouse. The CEN 7.7, Dynamite 068 and Ofna 086 pipes will give the K5.9 room to breath and shead some heat while running. I've got mine on order and will give a brief review once I have it installed.

That CEN pipe, I heard, is the best for it. I run the 086 pipe and I can't wait to see how it does on my STS. Will let you know on that too.

in my personal opinion, the k5.9 is an awsome engine, the one in my truck is so consitant never overheats, and man does it produce some power, you jsut need to have a little patience in gettting it dialed in correctly, my high speed needle is 2.5 turns out from closed and my low speed is maybe a half turn in from flush or maybe a little more, runs great, oh and also i run Blue thunder 20%. Nothing wrong with the 5.9 At all, i have 2.5 Gallons through my engine and i have not touched the needle settings, i do want to go with the 7.7 pipe to help it breathe, also if cut out your windshield and put some mesh in there like i did this will help cool the 3.75 hp monster off!! Definately worth the maney all the way! this truck gets ten stars!

I agree with Xl driver all the way. My 5.9 absolutly rips, I can't imagine anymore power than this thing has. Had it out at the local BMX dirt jumps today and had a blast launching everything. I was running the low setup which seemed to handle better and still jumped great, never really bottomed out either. Need some different tires for that hard packed dirt, maybe some bowties or something so it hadles a little better. Going to adjust my second gear shift point so that it shifts a little quicker. I would think either way you go XL or X you can't go wrong. I also cut a square out of the front windshield and also made a scoop out of the side window to catch air and throw it on the head. Three cuts on the side window bend it out and your done.

Last edited:
I agree with Xl driver all the way. My 5.9 absolutly rips, I can't imagine anymore power than this thing has. Had it out at the local BMX dirt jumps today and had a blast launching everything. I was running the low setup which seemed to handle better and still jumped great, never really bottomed out either. Need some different tires for that hard packed dirt, maybe some bowties or something so it hadles a little better. Going to adjust my second gear shift point so that it shifts a little quicker. I would think either way you go XL or X you can't go wrong. I also cut a square out of the front windshield and also made a scoop out of the side window to catch air and throw it on the head. Three cuts on the side window bend it out and your done.

I would like to see some pictures of your XL and that side window mod, seems like that would look pretty sweet as well as serve a good purpose!! i am glad to hear someone else is loving their savvy as much as i love mine, and come on guys dont let those LST drivers intimidate your the XL can stick right along with the LST just need to be aggresive at the controls.... ITS all about driving style baby. i have no problem keeping up with the losi. hook a line up between them and the XL will drag the losi all over the track:D... 5.9 has got balls!!!!
check it out

Last edited by a moderator:
P1010053.gif

Very nice JessF! I may have a stupid question here but how did you get that motor roll cage to mount up? I got one with my XL but I think they sent me the one for the X as it is not long enough and there is nothing in the manual says squat about it.

I'm wondering the very same thing how do we mount that bad chicken???

XL Driver! I wish I knew how to post pics on here but I'm not very good with these things. Just imagine you are going to cut out the extended cab window. You would make your top cut then the vertical front cut and last the bottom cut then just fold or crease it so it sticks out like a little scoop. Best I can do without Pics

ok i see, good enough explaination for me i got it thanx..
heres my windshield!

Attachments

• savage XL 015.JPG
    savage XL 015.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 152

what this video doesn't show is how to mount the body with the cage on there. I cut the portion of the posts that weren't being used. I had to cut the body as well.

P1010076.gif

P1010077.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Man thanx for that, all along i kind of figured that tower had to come into play somehow, it just didnt ckick! And again thanks alot, very helpful, mine is done already.

thanks again!!

Attachments

• Savage XL (3).JPG
    Savage XL (3).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Savage XL (7).JPG
    Savage XL (7).JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 140
Back