Running Problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyBoltz07

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just recently disassembled and then reassembled my Revo 2.5. Before I began my rebuild my Revo ran fine, even great, except for a loose slipper clutch.
Well seizing the opportunity I replaced all the broken parts and upgraded a few, here's the list so you can get an idea of what all I did:
Traxxas Stock parts:
Chassis brace (off 3.3)
Fuel tank rebuild kit
Drive shaft boots
pullstarter (replaced ez start)
Slipper Pressure Plate & Hub Alloy/ Slipped Clutch rebuil
Fuel line (replaced w/ new)
Transmission Case (replaced after stripped out mounting holes)
Front/Rear Body Mounts
Upgraded parts:
Resonator (to replace Trinity pipe)
Robinson Racing X-Hard 15T/38T combo
Integy 3-Piece Clutch

Well so after putting everything back together I got it started and have had a headache of problems, mainly with tuning/ drivetrain. The engine seems to be running extremely rich and cuts out at different throttle positions. I have leaned it a lot and done various tuning combinations. I can't seem to get it to run well, it seems to have minimal torque too.
One thought I had is that something might have gone weird when I transferred the gears from one tranny case to the other. One concern is that the set screw for the shifter is set wrong. Does anyone know what is the stock setting for that screw? Would someone be willing to turn theirs in and tell me how many turns?
Thanks for all ya'lls help.
-RustyBoltz

check the fuel line...

does it roll smooth by hand? usually if somethings binding though, it will act like it's running hot, not rich. make sure the slipper is on tight too, not too tight, but tight.

I've never overtightened mine, but i dont think that it will make the drive train tight..BUT, MY REVO IS 5 FEET FROM ME. i can check it for you, just let me know...did you set the carb back to factory setting? make sure everything is rolling smooth then we can go from there..check for the obvious. is your motor too tight against the spur.. how bought the seals on the fuel cap. if its not sealing properly it wont prime right..

check the fuel line...
does it roll smooth by hand? make sure the slipper is on tight too, not too tight, but tight.
The fuel line has all smooth turns, just like stock and the slipper is maybe a little loose, so i'll play with it.

I've never overtightened mine, but i dont think that it will make the drive train tight..BUT, MY REVO IS 5 FEET FROM ME. i can check it for you, just let me know...did you set the carb back to factory setting? make sure everything is rolling smooth then we can go from there..check for the obvious. is your motor too tight against the spur.. how bought the seals on the fuel cap. if its not sealing properly it wont prime right..

If you could check it, after taking apart the transmission, i'm prety sure that the shifter screw is set wrong and would like a starting point.
I started with factory settings and it was EXTREMELY rich, so much that i had a puddle coming out of the exhaust. And I replaced all the o rings in the tank.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a Sirio .23

do you have a fuel filter?

Well...yes and no. I have the dynamite fuel filter but i haven't put it on yet b/c I was gonna wait until I got it tuned and running.

fair enough. i had a problem with a hobbico one, one time. very restricting for some reason.

anyway... hows it roll? by hand...

anyway... hows it roll? by hand...

It rolls pretty well, It doesn't seem to bind.

One of the ideas that i had was that it might be somehow starting in second gear and that was causing some problems.
Then I had the thought that maybe the Resonator was too restrictive. And another idea was that maybe the 3 shoe clutch actually engages too quickly and is not catching the torque portion of the rpm curve....
But I don't even know where to start....
Thanks for working with me so far Mallanaga

second gear... maybe. turn the shift point all the way down. i sold mine a while back, so i can't think which way it is. clockwise, i think.

resonator... no. that pipe is a beast.

i had a 3 shoe clutch. that thing was nice! if it is engaging quickly, that would be a good thing. then you would be catching the torque band.

hmmm... maybe start at stock settings on your engine. with a new pipe, you're going to have to completely retune your engine. that pipe prolly messed with your LSN setting. tinker with is... get 'er goin'!

other than that... i got nothing man. post a pic. let's see if anything looks out of ordinary

Here's some pic's that I already took, I'll take some more detailed ones when I get a chance.

2305062366_c0a23a4345_o.jpg

2304263847_03ee166db8_o.jpg

2305062864_54cb8f72c5_o.jpg

2305063088_6d04af04eb_o.jpg

2305063316_1f5af612d4_o.jpg

2305063566_6d9b28eb10_o.jpg

Last edited:
your clutch shoes are on backwards.

that's all i can tell from those pics. that could affect your performance quite a bit, if it seems sluggish.

Dude you are right with the resigantor pipe it restricts to much use the ths pipe or trinity

no... the shoes should not trail... mine didn't and the true benefits of having a 3 shoe clutch came to be. the throttle is much more responsive. much more!

Back