Roll Cage or SUV body

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthRacer

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I need some help here. I want to get some protection for my engine head but I can't decide what to do. I am thinking of two options:

1) R/C Solutions roll cage
2) New Era Roll bar and SUV body

I think the main problem is that I'm having a hard time swallowing the $100+ in the cost of the R/C Solutions cage for the amount of time I actually get to run my Savage.

It sounds like you have already answered your own question. If the investment versus the time use is not palatable, then get the SUV body and bash away.

Otherwise, the Cage is probably the best bet for long term survivability. At $35 a pop for bodies, depending on use, you may work up to the cost of a cage pretty quickly.

that's not the same as a rollcage though

could someone maybe put up some pics of the rollcage? I want to make my own, and I won't sell them, I might just make a few to give to my friends for their savvys.

Does the rollcage actually help to protect the body better too?

Actually, DR, I think hobby people distributes rollcages for the savage that are supposed to be pretty good, lemme get the part number for you, they're 60 bucks I think...

In fatct they make them for almost all

T-maxx = HBTMX-BL for blue, C for chrom, and GM for gun metal
X-Factor = HBXFT- C, or GM
Savage = HBSVG - C or GM

there's more just look em up on www.hobbypeople.net

Those Hot Bodies cages that they sell are for a good price however I would rather go for the R/C Solutions cage. There was a guy selling a bunch of look alikes of the Hot Bodies design to one of my LHS for the same cost as the Hot Bodies cage and both designs looked like a shopping cart was cut up into pieces and welded together. If you compare the Hot Bodies design to the R/C Solutions design, you will notice more protection coming from the R/C Solutions cage. The back end of the Hot Bodies cage has no protection at all for the head. You can easily land upside down on a rock and still damage the engine head and other parts surrounding the back area. By using the R/C Solutions cage, you get that full front to back protection plus a mean looking look to your truck.
You figure, you pay $35 for a new body plus $60 for a Hot Bodies cage or similar and some paint for your lid and they all add up to close the cost of a R/C Solutions cage. eHobbies was selling the R/C Solutions cage for the Savage at $114 http://www.ehobbies.com/rcsoloppar.html

????

i know its not a roll cage!!!!!!!!! hes asking for protection for hes engine head. and thats what it does. its cheap aswell.

well for a cheap way to protect the engine head and I am sure Darth has done it already is the old zip tie straps. But I am sure Darth is looking for more than that and R/C Solutions cage happens to be the one I would lean towards.
The method gunit came up with might work to an extent, but what happens when the body flys off the truck, you still can have damage done to the engine head because that little mod that was done just flew off with the body. With the R/C Solutions cage, if you mount a body over the cage and the body happens to fly off, you still got that full protection front to back with the cage on.

yup AC48......thats the one that looks like a chopped up shopping cart and welded together......mind you there is no protection for the engine head, the back end is still open to rock landings.

roll cage!!

i understand what your saying njrc! but darthracer is looking for a cheap cage/mod to save hes engine head. he dosent want to spend $$$$ on one if he dosent use it alot. i had the rc cage on my savage about 2 months ago. and it bends so easy. it does protect stuff but it gives you hassle! i bash quite hard and my body has never flew off. cracked,split but not flew off!

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/gallery/data/511/4703rc_solutions_savage_-med.JPG

gunit, don't sweat it. Your mod looks great and does provide some protection. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of the site. I apologize for those that are not open minded enough to see your innovation for the cost effective option that it is.

For those of you that have not been receptive to this idea, please pipe down. gunit has a nifty idea that is about at creative as the entire ziptie option. Prior to bashing something, you should try it.

SkyMaxx....why should you apologize for those who are not open minded? Maybe you need to pipe down and look back at the topic for the thread.
As I see it, there are 5 who posted replies and 4 out of the 5 suggested a cage.
Besides, my comment in regards to gunit's method of protection was "open minded"

And you don't need an SUV if your on a budget, it can be done with a pick up style body as well....just raise your body mounts higher and don't cut a huge hole out for the engine head, just cut a small hole big enough for a glow ignitor.

Last edited:
NJRC, I am one of those who responded to this thread. This site is about expressing ideas and giving suggestions. If every suggestion a member makes is beaten down before someone tries it, then some really good ideas would go to waste.

Your idea about the pickup truck body is also a good idea. Should we poop can it because the bed of the truck body would not provide the protection or the body posts in that elevated of a location would buckle under the slightest blow from the top? I think not.

Share the ideas, but use care when criticizing something you have not yourself tried. Since you were the primary player bantering with gunit, I guess I should have just said NJRC back off. I was trying to be polite and not point fingers at any one person, but in the future I will simply tell you to back off.

As I said, share ideas. Just use caution when you lay waste to someone's ideas. You might find yourself in need of the idea or the person's assistance in the future.

Last edited:
Wow, nice debate fellas. You did help me achieve the goal of this thread which was to determine which is best for me. I went over it a few times and came up with this.
My stock roll bar is completely trashed. The cost of a new one is $15. The New Era roll bar is $40, so then an SUV body is at least $35. The cost of a rollbar and body is about $80. My chances of trashing a body at least once are high, putting the cost to about $110. The R/C Solutions cage is $103 bucks from Horizon. If I order it from my LHS I'll get 10% off.

I've decided to order up an R/C Solutions cage.
Now the question is, purple or silver?? :D :D :D

For you, I think PURPLE.

i think that is a good choice to go with the roll cage the suv bodys are not the toughest and they last me 3 bashes so i kinda gave up on bodies at least trying to keep them nice, also the suv imo does not a adequate ventilation and usally runs hotter get a silver roll cage cause the anodizings going to scratch off and look like poop!!good luck........hb1111

this is close to what g uint done i know but it looks like he`s not the only one that thinks it will work heres the web site
http://nitrotrucks.surfmysites.com/roll-cage/economy/index-en.html

TN-sm-version-2.jpg

TN-sm-version-1.jpg

TN-sm-version-5.jpg

http://nitrotrucks.surfmysites.com/roll-cage/version-2/index.html

Last edited:
Shorty great site. Thanks for posting that. The second one looks pretty ruggid, but not to sexy. Sometimes function over looks is a good thing.

The only problem I see with either set up would be a quartering shot. If the truck does not land on its lid all the way, but more on an angle, I wonder if the thing would still do its job without sliding off to one side or the other on impact.

Still good ideas.

Back