ring and pinion gears, to grease or not?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ring and pinions on buggy's
Do you grease yours or not?

I always have, & I always silicon my gearboxes to the chassis as well.
Just thinking that if the clutch & spur arn't greased, then why the ring & pinion.

Tim.

i would say yes because there covered.. if you grease the cb / spur you will attract dirt to it because there is no cover on it which will make it wear down faster

I hit mine w/ dry graphite lube when I rebuild em....I also seal my gearboxes too but dirt still gets in.....

I use grease where ever the parts are reasonably protected, like inside the diff cases. On the spurr, I use graphite or Tri - Flow, but it doesn't last long and I'm not convinced it does much.

I use the black diff lube and seal em up as good as possible. I then take one set of the Cerezni Racing Tranny guards and cut em to fit. Seems to keep just about everything out.

I use white lithium grease. Personally, I think it's a bit thin for that particular use but that's just what I have on hand. Black grease would probably be better.

i use Phil Wood waterproof grease. supposed to be for bearings on bikes, but works great for rc stuff too, its nice and thick.

I've been using white lightning bicycle chain lube. It's a wax based lube that goes on wet, then dries. Even though I use RTV on my savage, dirt still gets in there, so I figured I'd give it a shot. 2 gallons later and they still look new.

I've been using Prizm Teflon based spray lube, it flows like water and sets up like grease when it dries. I also spray a bit on my CB and spur gear once a month. That stuff is some slick $hit. We use it to lube cams with bearing rollers on the cam followers on machines at work and I have seen the rollers start sliding on the cams rather than turn when the lube was applied :LoL: also good for hi temps so it will hold up on the CB.