Revo start up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiflett104

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
ok, i got a traxxas revo 2.5r monster truck from my brother, it was only started like 2 times and was not all the way through the break in period. I'm not even sure it was done right. how can i find out? i bought new glow plugs, fuel, and a heater in hopes that it will run and not be locked up on me. Anyone have any advise?:\

I'd say, if you can't find out for sure then it probably won't hurt to air on the side of caution and run it through a break in again, or for the first time. Set it to factory settings on the needles get some after run oil in there and go through a break in cycle.

Have you taken the cooling head off to look at the piston and sleeve? How does it look? Good shape, no pitting anywhere that's visible?

I'd be safe and do the break in again. It can't hurt...

well what kind of starter does it have on it?. . .basicly i would take out the glow plug and spray a little WD-40 down in the Glow plug hole just to penetrate anything that may be in there, then pull the starter/hit the starter button on your wand and see if it spins the motor over and if it does, check your settings on the carb, HSN and LSN, and put them back to factory settings (www.traxxas.com) and start it up from there and personally this is just me, i would just "start" the break in process over again just so you know it was done properly you can get the process instructions from traxxas.com and after that you "should be good to go, and if not, by all means ask and anyone here will be more than happy to help you out,
welcome to the brotherhood
:bowtothercnt:

i took out the glow plug and sprayed liquid wrench down in the hole and put the EZ start wand in the hole and the starter clicks but the motor wont turn. does that mean that the motor is locked up? Thanks for all the info:)

9 times out of 10 thats what it means

I would try turning it over by hand. Put some WD-40 in it again let it soak. Then turn the flywheel over by hand clockwise, since you feel it has not been broke in.
The 2.5s and the 3.3s are very known to stick at TDC (top dead center). You can even heat it up and try it again.
Let us know.

sweet guys thanks ima try the wd again and try to turn it by hand if not ill heat it up, i just dont have the money to get a new engine;)

sweet guys thanks ima try the wd again and try to turn it by hand if not ill heat it up, i just dont have the money to get a new engine;)

No problem. If it was only runn 2 times. And you are sure of it. Even if the engine won't move when heated, We can try something else..

hey this might sound stupid but i can't find the flywheel on this revo. do i have to take it apart to get to the flywheel? all i did since I've had it was take the glow plug out, sprayed w/d 40 in it and then tried to start it by pushing the ez start controler in the back and hit the button. alls that happened was the starter clicked. it hasnt been touched in like 3-4 years so I'm thinking that the old gas prolly dried up in it. i took off the fuel tank and cleaned it and the old fuel was like a gel. i have no idea about this stuff but id like to see it run again.:)

well on a revo, flip it over and look under the engine, you should see a large, round silver thing which is your flywheel, and if the fuel was lie gel, then i would recommend taking off the carb, and cleaning that out and the hole in which it attaches to on the crankcase so you get as much of the gel-like junk out of there! peace and good luck dude! i love my revo, just not all the time! hahaha

If there was fuel left in it, it needs to be tore down and cleaned completely. At least get the engine spinning good, clean the carb, tank, get new fuel line and glow plugs. Once it starts, keep it running and blow that old crap out of it. Keep it running as long as it's not going wild.

If there was fuel left in it, it needs to be tore down and cleaned completely. At least get the engine spinning good, clean the carb, tank, get new fuel line and glow plugs. Once it starts, keep it running and blow that old crap out of it. Keep it running as long as it's not going wild.

That was my something else :)

yea i thought that was the flywheel, it wont budge. ima take off the carb and as much as i can and clean it, hopefully this will be somewhat bearable for me cuz I've never done this stuff before but id really like to get into it. illl keep everyone posted thanks for all the info!:)

If you get stuck let us know we can walk you thru it. It is not that difficult.:)

Pay attention and take your time. Grab your camera if that helps. Don't worry if you get stuck; we'll be more than happy to help. I'm not workin' at the moment, so I'm on more than I would like to be...:)

Well, i tore down the engine and found out the piston locked up. i took it to a hobby shop and they said that he prolly tried to get crazy while breaking it in and locked up on him. that sounds like my brother. I found a new engine for $94 so i got that and am waiting to put it in. is there anyway to take the piston sleeve and piston out? that would be cool cuz then i could have another engine. i will keep everyone posted thanks for all the info. I'm laied off too so i got plenty of time to do this stuff.

sweet man thanks that thread walks you right through it. i just got the fuel and the new glow plugs in the mail today, waiting for the new engine. I am doing everything by the book with the break in. do you go through alot of glow plugs? cuz right now i only have a quart of traxxas 20% and two glow plugs. i just hope its enough to atleast break it in. i just got a nice camera phone so i will post pics of the new engine going in.

I used to go through alot of glowplugs until i figured out that my tune was way out of wack, now that i have my tune "perfect" (notice the quotations) i have been using the same glow plug for about 3 months now and it still lights up just fine, but its never a bad idea to have some extra ones laying around, and if you are using Traxxas glow plugs, get some OS#8'S you will notice a huge difference

Last edited: