Resever transmitter problem?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabajn

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, all, totally new, but this second hand and it's not working. Hope you guys can help me out!

It's a HSP XSTR pro.

When I turn on the car the light of the resever is off, when I turn on the transmitter they are both red at the same time. It seems that the are connected. However, the car does not react to anything. If I put the transmitter on and then the car it's the same.

Added some photos.

Do you have any idea what I can do?

IMG_20230601_114559.jpg

IMG_20230601_114605.jpg

IMG_20230601_114659.jpg

IMG_20230601_114707.jpg

IMG_20230601_115038.jpg

Wow, that motor wiring is a crime. Please solder that up or get better connectors. These are fine for low currents (16A or so max?) but not for RC.

Anyway, looks like the ESC is not armed (ready). That can happen if it doesn't see neutral input from the receiver.

Check if you have a TH TRIM potentiometer on your remote and set it to zero (middle).

If that doesn't help, you can try and calibrate the esc. Is there a button on the switch under the zip tie? You'll need it.

In fact, maybe it's in programming mode the whole time if the button under there is pressed all the time...

Wow, that motor wiring is a crime. Please solder that up or get better connectors. These are fine for low currents (16A or so max?) but not for RC.

Anyway, looks like the ESC is not armed (ready). That can happen if it doesn't see neutral input from the receiver.

Check if you have a TH TRIM potentiometer on your remote and set it to zero (middle).

If that doesn't help, you can try and calibrate the esc. Is there a button on the switch under the zip tie? You'll need it.

In fact, maybe it's in programming mode the whole time if the button under there is pressed all the time...
I would do this. ^

Please verify that you're not getting any steering response, if that's that case then chances are you may need to "Re-bind" the Rx back to the Tx.

If you can't find any instructions for your radio system on the steps to re-bind the Rx, then I would consider replacing the radio system. It appears to have seen a lot of use and may have gone bad, all electronics go bad over time and need to be replaced :(

Hi, all, totally new, but this second hand and it's not working. Hope you guys can help me out!

It's a HSP XSTR pro.

When I turn on the car the light of the resever is off, when I turn on the transmitter they are both red at the same time. It seems that the are connected. However, the car does not react to anything. If I put the transmitter on and then the car it's the same.

Added some photos.

Do you have any idea what I can do?
If that is the ESC i think it is (actually been awhile since i seen that HSP blue one), the set button is on the ESC itself (circled in black). More than likely, as already stated, the radio and receiver need to be bound together again. That is the TSD radio and receiver, and the manual for it is not anywhere online, but, if you want to search for it, the correct name is: TSD 2CH 2.4G T3918C Transmitter + R3862 Receiver As for the receiver, the connectors are in the wrong spots. Starting at the bottom, it should be servo, then ESC (since your ESC has the yellow and brown wires on the connector, the yellow wire is signal, and goes in the spot where the white wire goes) and the top one is for binding. The receiver in the pic is pretty much the same as the one you have, and shows how everything should be connected.

IMG_20230601_114605.jpg
00031808-flysky-31083r-000-383x383.jpeg

@biggman100 nice catch!

It appears that the servo wire is reversed but the ESC wire may be correct... really a hot mess altogether without any labeling on the Rx, ha!

View attachment 166670
I have had that radio and receiver on a few HSP cars i bought used, so as soon as i saw the radio, it clicked. I currently have basically the same car he does, set up for on road, with a Porsche body, and an old HSP FM radio setup.

IMG_20230415_181807849_HDR~2-2.jpg

Last edited:
If that is the ESC i think it is (actually been awhile since i seen that HSP blue one), the set button is on the ESC itself (circled in black). More than likely, as already stated, the radio and receiver need to be bound together again. That is the TSD radio and receiver, and the manual for it is not anywhere online, but, if you want to search for it, the correct name is: TSD 2CH 2.4G T3918C Transmitter + R3862 Receiver As for the receiver, the connectors are in the wrong spots. Starting at the bottom, it should be servo, then ESC (since your ESC has the yellow and brown wires on the connector, the yellow wire is signal, and goes in the spot where the white wire goes) and the top one is for binding. The receiver in the pic is pretty much the same as the one you have, and shows how everything should be connected.

View attachment 166668View attachment 166669
Thank you!

This fixed the problem and it's working again!!

Thank you!

This fixed the problem and it's working again!!
You're welcome. Just a suggestion, but i would look into replacing the radio and receiver. Those are known for having issues, and for losing signal and causing the car to take off. I'm not sure where you are located, but, i would look for a DumboRC with the X6FG receiver: https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-X6-Transmitter-Receiver-Protections-Controller/dp/B07Q112TQF, or, at the very least, one of the more updated HSP radio and receiver sets. This is another one that is fairly decent: https://www.amazon.com/FS-GT2-Channel-Digital-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B00KHLDCX4 Of the two, i woulld try to get the DumboRC one, and, if that isnt available, then look for the other one.

Another thing to be on the watch for. That ESC dies fairly easily, so, when it does, i would look for something like the Hobby Wing 10BL60. They work very well with that motor, and unless they are abused, are pretty durable, as well as waterproof, which, the one in your car now isnt.

One other thing. Pretty much anything you want to know about that car is probably covered in this post i did on the HSP based cars awhile back: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/my-hsp-based-collection.133625/

Last edited:
Back