Receiver Going Crazy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra198

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Yesterday I was driving my t maxx. All of a sudden the fail safe kicked in. I thought i must be my batteries, so changed the receiver batteries and started it up. The fail safe still kicked in and out. I know its not the area I'm driving in, because this is where i always drive. I Looked at the problem more closely and i found that when i wiggle on the receiver wire, the fail safe kicks in and out.
I'm just wondering if this has happend to anyone else before. I havent opened up the receiver yet, but if it is the receiver wire, can that be put back in place, or will i need to get a whole new one? Thanks in advance for the help.

Maybe your receiver wire got pinched somewhere that could cause this........Nick

Take it apart and check it, and yes it can be replaced.

I had some pretty severe twitching with mine recently. Thought it was the throttle servo (jr 590M), so I replaced it with a Hitec 625 (i think). Took it out last night, and it still twitched like crazy. Only with the engine running though.

I had my antenna tube ziptied to my roll bar like this:
T-Maxx-BodyOff-altrans.jpg

I did change it a bit since this pic though. I had fuel tubing on the tube where the zipties are to cushion it. So, i thought maybe this was causing some interference. I cut the zipties and stuck the tube up out of the body like it's supposed to be and the twitching appeared to go away.

Just thought I'd share my twitching experience. I didn't think the way i had it would cause problems, but it apparently did.

Glitching is what this twitching is commonly referred to. It can be caused by a number of things: loose connectors, bare wires meeting metal, loose metal to metal contact that vibrates when the engine is on, etc.

When you say the receiver wire, which wire? The one from the failsafe to the receiver? The antenna? The power cable to the receiver?

If you think you have a loose connection, checking it is always a good idea. Opening up a receiver isn't difficult and does not void anything as fas as I know. The other problem might have nothing to do with the receiver and everything to do with the Failsafe. It might be a faulty unit.

Either way, look into the wiring, the connectors, and then determine if something needs to be snugged up.

If you have further questions, there are a number of people on this site running failsafes and they can certainly hook you up with information.

The cut in the filter isn't a cut. It's an indentation from it leaning on the roll bar. I've made a filter holder wire to keep it off the roll bar. It's fine now.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm leaving for the weekend in a while, so ill take the reciever apart when i get back.
By the way, skymaxx, the wire is the antenna wire that comes out of the receiver.

Well i looked again at my t maxx today. I didnt take apart the receiver yet but i did figure this out. It glitches out even when the controller is off and just the receiver is on. Since just the receiver is on and it still glitches, doesn't that mean that it shouldnt be my receiver wire?
Also i thought of something else. I have a roll cage. Maybe it is being caused by the cage hitting the chassis (someone said metal on metal could cause it) This happens even when the engine is off. Has anyone ever had a cage cause this glitching problem? I did put a few pieces of foam tape between the gage and chassis, but it still does the same thing. I guess ill try taking off my cage later and see if that does the trick.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Glitching can occur with any metal to metal contact that is not properly grounded. It gets made worse by vibrations.

From the sounds of what you are describing, your failsafe and receiver are probably not playing well together. On top of that you might have some loose metal to metal contact. The roll cage is a very likely candidate.

Do you run your antenna through an antenna tube or is it set up in another fashion? I only ask because the position of the antenna can play a role in things. If it is just loose, you could have snagged it during one of your runs. This could have loosened it within the receiver and be causing an intermittant connection. This in turn can cause glitching.

SkyMaxx: My antenna is currently running through the tube, just like i always have.

Thanks for the information (note, I have no idea how you have always run it...thus the question).

Have you tried removing the failsafe from the equation and looked for the same behavior? If not, I suggest doing so. That would at least eliminate the failsafe to receiver incompatibility issue if the behavior continued with the failsafe removed.

duct-tape to the rescue...... lol jus get the wires in place and down snug dont let them rattle all over that should help! you may need to re-sodder or something but then again what do i kno listen to sky.:preachin:

SkyMaxx, didnt mean to sound rude there, i just meant to say that i have always ran it through the tube, and didnt change its position lately.

Also, i just went out and took off the roll cage. I took it for a quick spin, and it seemed to do the trick. I'm thinking that maybe some paint was rubbed off the cage where it came into contact with the chassis. Since it is metal on metal i think its probably my problem. How do you think i should solve this. Should i just put a strip of tape alonge the chassis or the cage where they come in contact? Do you think that will work, or should i try something else?
Thanks again for all the help!

You could try to put a strip of foam tape between the roll cage and the chassis. I use closed cell foam and glue it in place when I need to cushion something metal against the chassis.

Before you go and start padding up your entire chassis, you might want to look at where exactly the contact was being made. If you could get a picture of your roll cage up, I might be able to help localize the problem.

Sorry about the length of time before a reply. Had to deal with some clean-up on the site.

I believe the problem spot where the metals are coming in contact is right on the sides of the chassis. Looking at my cage, i can see exactly where they were hitting.
As for the padding, ill go out tomorrow and get some of this foam tape that you recommended, and hopefully it will do the trick!
Thanks again for all the help and quick replies, I appreciate it alot!!!

Great. Give that a try and let us know how it works out. Would seriously hate for you to have to ditch the roll cage in order to run your RC properly.

glitching can occur when the glow starter touches the engine head...but that is only in my dads buggy. Just something to back up the metal on metal statement.

Well, after removing the cage i decided to take it for a spin with it off. It turns out that it still does it. Instead of glitching, now the failsafe kicks in and the t maxx comes to a stop.
Looks like it is the receiver. I'm going to take it apart in a while.
I have never had problems like this before, so what should i look for when i open up the receiver. I'm guessing I'm just looking for any loose connections or wires pulled out. Anyways, thanks again for the help.

Back