RC truck identification

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcnwv

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok so i bought this RC car off someone a few years back and it has sat in my closet i never fooled with it at all i don't even know what kind it is or anything about these things so maybe u guys can identify it tell me what its worth and what i should do with it thanks in advance

DSCN0458.jpg

DSCN0459.jpg

Thats a traxxas s-maxx, good car, basically a tmaxx without the 4wd. Id say keep it because you wont get the value of it if you try to sell it.

s maxx huh? well looks like it could be 4x4 if it had the front drive shaft in it but then again i don't know. Well i don't have much money in it at all and i mean i doubt ill ever fool with it so its either let it sit in my closet or give it to my 3 year old to beat on lol... What would a good price to ask for it i don't want to rip anyone off in case its like totally shot. And if i was to fix it what would i have to do to get it runnin. is there any good books out there for beginners?

Last edited:
If you wanted to get running id say try youtube to see how its done or what you need like fuel and stuff, or you could bring it to a model shop nearby and theyll help you with it there.
If you wanted to sell it as is you would probably get around £100 for it but if it was running properly you could get around £140 for it. Thats why id say keep it, new it could be around 3 times that price, id say if you do drive it youll want to keep it because they are a lot of fun.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Oh yeah it can be turned in to a tmaxx you just need front driveshafts and a differential, dont bother with the reverse it only adds weight and causes problems

to get it running you would need fuel, a glow plug, glow igniter, radio set, small flathead screwdriver for tuning, an air filter and air filter oil.

Definately a Tmaxx because you can just see the front drivecup on the front of the tranny.
But it is the old one because that looks like the 2.5 motor.
Even here in australia it's worth next to nothing so it might pay to just spent $50 on it and run it into the ground.
Could be a lot of cheap fun.

If you want to get rid of it I will take it off your hands at no charge. :)

The sportmaxx and the smaxx did originally come with that drive cup on the brake disc, because it made it easier and more tempting($$$ for traxxas) to do a 4wd conversion and it was cheaper to make the one part interchangeable between all the maxx models(more $$$ for traxxas).
I remember when I was buying my tmaxx in the hobby, I had the choice of an smaxx and I asked the dealer were they both 4wd and he said no but its easy to put a conversion on the smaxx because it just links in to the transmission. ahh the good ole days, he did rip me off though because knew nothing of the hobby and charged me €630 at the time.