RC cars and trucks without receivers and transmitters

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstinson41

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
The rc trucks I have already have a transmitter and receiver with the truck. I see a lot of used rc cars and trucks for sale that don't include a transmitter and receiver. Would I need one transmitter for to use with all the vehicles and a separate receiver for each vehicle? Would I just transfer a receiver to each different vehicle when i want to use it? Could I use one transmitter with the different cars and trucks I have now? Are there any recommendations on transmitters and receivers? Thanks for any help.

Most used RC don't come with RX/TX everyone uses diffirent transmitters and not all of them are compatable. I am using spectrum DX5 i'm only doing bashing so i don't need a high end radio. My radio i can use up to 20 cars. I just need to buy a new receiver any time i get a new RC and for me that's about $30

Yes you can use a Rx/TX from any other car aslong as they are the same brand so they can bind up.

Or you can get a multi model transmitter and you can buy multiple receivers and use all your cars off of 1 transmitter. That's what I personally do. I have 5 cars. 1 transmitter, 5 receivers. Just don't use 2 cars at the same time. Little short story. Was checking in for a race with my car. My other car that I accidentally left on, on the table, flew off.

If your like using your cars with your kids or friends at the same time, multiple radios would be best.

Good multi model radios:
RadioLink RC4GS/ RC6GS V3
FlySky GT3 / GT5 / GP7

Mid range radios:
FlySky NB4/NB4 Plus
Futaba 4PM Plus

If you.like using multiple cars at the same time with friends, RTR radios would be best such as Traxxas TQ/TQi and Spektrum SLT3 radios (Jenny's RC sells them for cheap)

You can use 1 receiver and one radio. but you might have to do fine adjustments on each model thru radio ..its a easy thing to do.but most of use will get receivers for each model you have. 3 m dual lock is good to swap rxs around.

generally, electronics that come with RTR's are lower quality and are frequently replaced forcing consumers to "buy twice", however upgraded radio systems tend to be very expensive making it impractical to include an upgraded radio with a deal on a worn out chassis.

Often this is referred as "Rx Ready"
Other terms are:
* "Slider" just a chassis with no electronics and no wheels and sometimes no body
* "Roller" may be missing some/all electronics but may include wheels/body

Key questions I like to ask when buying used:

* When was the last time the car was re-built with fresh fluid in diffs/shocks and bearings inspected?
* Are there any stripped threads with loose screws that don't properly fasten?
* Are there any bent/cracked/damaged parts that need to be replaced?

All these should be taken into account with pricing for the car.

My rule of thumb on value is 50% retail for a perfectly working car in good condition with no worn parts, after that I deduct actual cost to replace parts from that price point.

I personally do a complete rebuild of any car before I sell it and make sure it's worth the 50% value at a minimum and will often sweeten the deal by including extra spares/wheels, etc..

I'd get a receiver for each vehicle. Swapping it back and forth would be a pain. Each time you swap the receiver you would need to recalibrate the ESC at the very least.
1 transmitter for multiple receivers would be what most of us do.

Back