RC Bodies are a nightmare

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serea71

RCTalk Champion
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Scale Builder
My apologies for making a thread about this, but I need to vent a little.

I swear I have the worst luck when it comes to RC Bodies. Trying to get my 1RC looking nice and last awhile has been a total nightmare. The original body got flatten due to my cat, the 2nd body not only had a really bad orange peel effect in the lexan, it cracked to the point that I can't fix it because someone with a larger scale car wasn't paying attention and decided to completely run into me, probably due to the defective lexan that it cracked so easily, and now the 3rd body I got today has a terrible paint job due to an air bubble and I tried to fix it and it only made it worse to the point that the lexan itself got cloudy white. I take pride in making my cars look nice, so I'm frustrated of losing time and money to get it right to begin with.

Anyways, sorry to vent. I think it's time for a break. :doh:

If the paint cracked and peeled on the second body then my guess would be, you didn't use polycarbonate paint.
I also recommend you use fiber tape and shoe goo to strengthen the body.

If the paint cracked and peeled on the second body then my guess would be, you didn't use polycarbonate paint.

it wasn't the paint, it was the lexan itself that cracked

That's odd. I have no clue then other than the fiber tape and shoo goo.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'm just gonna have to buy more bodies and try again. These bodies are so small and the way they fit is so tight onto the chassis that there's literally no wiggle room for some fiber tape/shoe goo. These little 1RC cars are literally like a model kit with electronics.

1RC1132-5__12431.1650900802.jpg

First, are you getting these already painted, or are you painting them? There's a reason I'm asking.

First, are you getting these already painted, or are you painting them? There's a reason I'm asking.

They come unpainted, and I ask a friend of mine to paint them for me since I live in an apartment building with no patio, garage etc. I did send him a message about the 3rd body I got today, and he said it was his mistake because the body was still wet from washing it prior to paint. He was kind enough to grab a new body for me and I'll supply him the paint.

Intricate and cool rig :cool:
That body is kinda milky, is the protective film still on it?
If not I don't think it's Lexan- kinda looks like PETG or PVC. You may have to use a different type of paint, maybe for PVC? That sticks to anything.
I usually use some 1500 grit to matte up the inside then some plastic prep. Seems to help.

Intricate and cool rig :cool:
That body is kinda milky, is the protective film still on it?
If not I don't think it's Lexan- kinda looks like PETG or PVC. You may have to use a different type of paint, maybe for PVC? That sticks to anything.
I usually use some 1500 grit to matte up the inside then some plastic prep. Seems to help.

Yes, the protective film is still on the body in that photo. That photo is frorm 1RC themselves, not mine.

I just got hooked on mini crawlers and now I see this... will not look. No. Well, maybe a peek...
I Like Wow GIF by Sarah Squirm
They're honestly pretty fun little cars, a little bit of a pain to work on at times until you get the hang of it, but they look nice and have a decent amount of zip in them!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'm just gonna have to buy more bodies and try again. These bodies are so small and the way they fit is so tight onto the chassis that there's literally no wiggle room for some fiber tape/shoe goo. These little 1RC cars are literally like a model kit with electronics.

That car looks so nice.

That thing is killer.

Last edited:
Painting small bodies is a pain. Lexan or polycarbonate needs to be washed with soap #1, I also scotch brite it pretty well #2, then wipe down with some alcohol to remove all my fingerprint grease and scotch brite debris. A bubble in the paint would just tell me it didn’t stick to that spot, there was grease or something like a fingerprint right there. After I paint anything I put a thin layer of a shoe goo type stuff on the body. I have been using clear flex seal. Even if it’s a tight fit and especially if it’s a tight fit I do this, it keeps the paint from rubbing off. I hate when the body rubs on something and clear spots form.

They come unpainted, and I ask a friend of mine to paint them for me since I live in an apartment building with no patio, garage etc. I did send him a message about the 3rd body I got today, and he said it was his mistake because the body was still wet from washing it prior to paint. He was kind enough to grab a new body for me and I'll supply him the paint.
There's you answer. Find another person that can do it right or do it yourself. I've rattle canned many lexan bodies that are beat to hell and the paint didn't flake or come off. Proper prep is key. Your friend is doing something wrong.

There's you answer. Find another person that can do it right or do it yourself. I've rattle canned many lexan bodies that are beat to hell and the paint didn't flake or come off. Proper prep is key. Your friend is doing something wrong.

It was just an honest mistake. I'll remind him to pay a little more attention.

I’ll paint your stuff for you. I won’t charge you a dime, just pay the shipping.

I appreciate it, but since he's paying for a new body for me, I'll let him try it again. If it's alright, I'm sure i'll have more paint work needed in the future.

those 1RC cars are cool! I've never seem 'um before. All RTRed for 209$. Pretty decent price IMO.
I might get one than build a mini dirt oval in the back yard.....