Race Worthy Savage Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frickenjoey

Official RCNT Cyber-Bully
Supporter
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I have had one of my Savages in a state of disassemble for a couple years now and thing it is about time to start rebuilding. So I was thinking of making it a bit race worthy. Here is what I am doing so far from a basic X platform.

Powered by ERCM Picco P3 .28
Ofna JP-3 Pipe
Bullet Proof 3 speed tranny w/fiber brakes
Losi LST Shock mod using Innovative RC conversion kit
HPI BulletProof diffs
Proline 23mm Hex 1" extension shafts
Lunsford Punisher 4mm front turnbuckles
HPI Suspension conversion kit #[SIZE=-1]87245[/SIZE]
HPI Sway Bar kit #[SIZE=-1]102538[/SIZE]
HPI CVDs on all corners #[SIZE=-1]87230[/SIZE]
Savage Low CG Racing Chassis Set #87248

I will get some pictures up when I can. I am thinking about keeping it fairly low slung with some 40 series bowties or another fairly low profile tire. I figure I will keep most the parts on this one plastic to keep weight down. I want to keep it in the lower weight range if I can....unlike my last Savage built. Servos are still kinda up in the air right now, not sure what I will do for them yet. Anything I am leaving out?

Last edited:
I think if you're building it as a full race truck i would stick with the 2 speed transmission. Everything else sounds good, IMO

I don't have any two spped gear sets anymore. I have two 3 speed sets so I said heck with it and leave it a 3-speed. I wish someone made a tougher two speed gear set though. All good, regardless I think it is going to be fun.

The 3 speed will work fine. Just gear the CB/SG and adjust the shift points according to the track.

I personally have no issues with a three speed. I will gear up on the CB since I will be running lower profile tires than the truck is geared for or it will be too slow.

If you don't already have it,you need a mid-tank conversion. Also,I'll have to track down the specific parts/info,but there's a mod for getting a tighter turn out of'er too.

Don't forget to get lcg extended chassis plates. He make a world of difference.

If you don't already have it,you need a mid-tank conversion. Also,I'll have to track down the specific parts/info,but there's a mod for getting a tighter turn out of'er too.
Yup Randy that is the suspension conversion kit and just the initial look it really helps.
I though about doing the mid tank like I did on my other Savy but not sure if i am going to or not yet

Don't forget to get lcg extended chassis plates. He make a world of difference.
That is another thing I am thinking about doing. Once all the bodies I have for a standard length are trashed I might extend it. I am already two inches wider than stock so that will really help I am sure.

Is anyone else having issues with Potobucket? I was trying to post some pictures and the site just will not load! Anyway I got my diffs and Swaybar set in the mail today so i can really start putting stuff together now....FINALLY. I will try tomorrow to see if I can get you all some pictures...I know worthless without them! I think the only more metal I will put on this thing is the alloy throttle bell crank. I might pick one of those up sometime. I know they really worked nice with the heli linkages I used on the last Savy project....hopefully photobucket will be back up. Off to bed!!

Ok pictures finally worked!!

Rear axle carrier with tie link eliminated.....

IMG_0273.jpg

This new bulkhead brace was a MAJOR PITA to install. Though I was going to break the case getting it in.

IMG_0275.jpg

New front axle carriers and steering knuckles. They are a lot narrower than stock and seem to have a great turn radius.

IMG_0276.jpg

The engine mount plate that came with the new low CG TVPs is a beefcake!

IMG_0279.jpg

I really dig the chunky teeth on the BP diffs!!

IMG_0278.jpg

can't wait to see the end result !

Randy that is the HPI Suspension conversion kit #[SIZE=-1]87245. I got a great deal on it or I would have never bought it. Since I have wanted one ever since they came out I had the opportunity so I jumped at it.

So here is a couple updates....

The new Bp diff for the rear is all serviced up and the outdrive cups swapped out to the smaller X style so I can use the CVD set that I already had.
Sway bar kit is installed in the rear....I went with the heavy bars since i am running the massive LST shocks. Notice the caps that captures the upper hing pins...I thought that was a sweet idea.
IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

I really like the stealthy look of the black TVPs for the lower CG chassis. Just changes up the look a bit. I put it side by side with the X plate and these sit the gear box a good 12mm lower than the X's.

IMG_0280.jpg

[/SIZE]

Last edited:
I'm interested in buying anti roll bars or ( sway bar ) for my savage it would be nice to have. found a kit just like this one on ebay for i think 20 bucks so I'm considering it.

That is what mine cost as well. I think it will be good upgrade for sure. Pretty sure it will stop a few roll overs which would be nice from all I have heard they do help a lot.

Damn what a sexy start! I have been eyeballing this thread for awhile, nicely done thus far Joey, can't wait to see more.

I hope to get most of it done this weekend. Looks to be cold and rainy so good chance for some wrench time. I will get more pictures as I go along

Well this weekend I got the biggest part of the truck put together. I still need tires for this thing. Not really sure what I am going to go with since it seems Proline no longer makes the 40 series Bow-ties. I have a brand new in the package set of 40 Series bead locks that I am not sure what I am going to use for now. The trenchers and Moabs are just too heavy for this purpose. So back to the drawing board on those...lol. Maybe I will have a set of RoadRage in 40 for pavement and regular MT size for dirt. Just have to be swapping hexes out from 23 to 17mm when I do it. I still have a lot of work to do but this is what it will look like. What do you guys think so far?

IMG_8428.jpg
IMG_8425.jpg
IMG_8426.jpg