Quick question regarding computer power supplies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm a total moron when it comes to computers so bear with me here. My wife's computer just went kaput after we had some rolling blackouts in our area. I think the power supply went bad. Quick question before I head out to Bestbuy to pick up a new one. Our computer is a VPR Matrix with Pentium 4 2.8ghz processor and the PS inside is an FSP Group 300 watt max. Is there any performance advantage to going with a higher rated supply? The lowest rated one at BB is 400 watts and for a few more duckets I can get one that is in the 450-600 watt range. If it makes a big difference in performance or reliability I'd rather spend a little money for a higher rated PS.

I have 2 GB of memory installed and a couple CD/DVD burner drives. 2 internal hard drives and one external hard drive. I also have 6 of the 8 USB ports used at any time. I don't know if running additional peripherals makes any difference but I figure I supply as much info as possible for you computer guys if it helps.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You can go with either one. IMO the bigger the better. Dont get a 39.00 special. I usually end up spending 80 or more on a good one.

You may want to spend the coin and get a UPS 500va or larger. It will help protect against the black and brown outs.

You need to look at the amps each rail puts out(5V,12V,etc)The higher the amps the better.Most "cheap" power supply may have alot of watts but the amp output sucks..I spent $119 on my 550 watt power supply.I had tons of trouble gaming with a 300 watt power supply.Almost bought a new video card but it ended up being the power supply.I had added more ram another hard drive and cd rom and the power supply just couldn't handle it all.Get atleast 450-500 watts.That should be fine for ya..

Thank you for the advice gentlemen. I'll get the biggest one I can afford.

Also thanks for the heads up on the UPS Eddy. :cheers: guys

Check over at NewEgg.com - they have good deals on power supplies as well. I'd recommend going with either an Antec or Enermax power supply.

-Michael

I agree with Woodie, I use Antec cases and power supplies. I would get a supply with at least 400W.

As far as amps (current) goes, Ohms law dictates the relationship between Voltage, Current, Watts, and Resistance. Watts = Current * Volts. All of these supplies are supposed to deliver the same voltage, and with that being said the Watts spec should be an indication of current flow. This of course assumes the Watts spec supplied by the manufacturer is actually honest. The following page describes Ohms law, which is a critical function of electrical engineering.

http://www.bcae1.com/ohmslaw.htm

SD,

That's a modular design and similar to the enermax I use. The cables will be in the box you just need to plug in which ever ones you need. Very nice setup and helps clean up the case!

Nice pick!

-Michael

If you have never done this before you may want to take a LOT of digi photos of the wires and where they connect. Make sure you get some close ups of the connectors Pin 1 so you know what way they go in. If you can, remove the old PS without removing the wires and replace them one by one with the new ones. They dont always look the same and the markings on the MB dont always jive.

Thanks for the confirmation. Couple more questions and I think I'll be ready to swap the units out. On the motherboard, are there special precautions I need to take when removing the long power connection? I did not see any tabs on the connector, does it simply slide out? And after many years of use the inside of the computer has accumulated quite a bit of dust on the boards and drives. What is a good way of cleaning out the dust without damaging anything? Or should I just leave it alone and not worry about the dust? I'm not certain if blowing it with compressed air will not cause a static charge.

Good call on the pics Eddy. My short term memory is crap.

Last edited:
The more fans you have the more dust you will get in the case. Your fans should all be pushing air in the same direction, across the MB. Front fans pull air in, rear fans push it out. I've used very low pressure compressed air. 15 PSI is enough. You can also remove the parts, dust them off, and blow out the case using your lungs.

I just use my compressor and have never had an issue. You do have a moisture trap, dont you? Just short little blasts till its all gone. Hold your breath and do it outside. I'm sure there are reasons not to do this but its always worked for me.

While you at it, Just yank the wires as hard as you can, they will come off. :D

SD,

For the dust you can do one of two things. Buy a can of compressed air to blow it out or use an air compressor like Eddy suggested - if you do this make sure you have a moisture trap, if not then you take a risk of moisture being sprayed on your PC...not good.

As for precautions against the cables, nope none they all just pull right out minus the motherboard. It's main power cable usually has a small tab just press it and then pull off. Easy as that.

-Michael

My compressor has a moisture trap so I'll go ahead and use that set at 15 psi.

I REALLY APPRECIATE all the help. I know my questions seem really stupid but when it comes to anything related to opening the computer case I get very nervous. I want to avoid screwing it up at all costs.

Once again thanks for all the help!! :bow:

I'm no computer guru by an stretch, but I have installed my fair share of telecommunications switches, routers, muxes, etc. that have computer components in them and wore a static strap to discharge any static electricity I had on my body before I opened it up to wire anything or flip a card out.

Not sure if it would apply here or not, but just wanted to share what little knowledge I have on the topic, my man!

I'm no computer guru by an stretch, but I have installed my fair share of telecommunications switches, routers, muxes, etc. that have computer components in them and wore a static strap to discharge any static electricity I had on my body before I opened it up to wire anything or flip a card out.

Not sure if it would apply here or not, but just wanted to share what little knowledge I have on the topic, my man!

That is a definate plus. However, if you're really careful about it, and take the usual static precautions, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I myself have a Maddog 430watt supply; it's enough for what I do, but I have a feeling it'll get obsoleted when my video card from canada arrives (probably with a ton of duties on top of it, lol).

You definately want a hefty supply; don't skimp here, the extra wattage pays for itself when you're burning discs, playing games, or anything that's power-intensive.

Thanks for the static tips. I just picked up the Antec smartpower 2.0 500 watt unit. I'll give an update tonight with how well the swap goes.

Back