question about glow plugs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrferly2004

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a maxx 3.3. First, does anyone know the part # of the glow plug that comes with a new truck/engine? Second, what is the differences between glow plugs? I understand the temp (med,hot, etc) but other than that are they any differences between say part # 3232 and 3232x?

Last edited:
there were orignally 4 types of traxxas plugs ,hotest to coldest it goes
3230 ,hot plug suited for the pro .15
3231,medium plug suited to the 2.5-2.5r
3232 cold plug suited to 3.3
3232x cold plug heavy duty same as 3232 it just meant to be a longer life one
so to answer your question 3232 came with the 3.3 and you can also use the 3232x without retuning it

i dont want to start an arguement but the 3230 is the hot plug ,i'm looking at one right now
so i would assume that the 3232 and 3232x are cold plugs or are better suited for higher nitro
I could also be wrong but i used a mix of plugs on my 3.3's but i think my climate is a little different than yours.......36 Celcius today and its getting hotter lol

You're right, I had the wrong info....Haven't used a trx plug in several years.
The 3232 is a medium and the 3230 is hot. 3232x is super duty medium.

---------- Post added at 5:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:11 PM ----------

You would'nt want to use any cold plug in 3.3 unless you were running it an on-road car.

The last lot of plugs I used where the os lc4 plugs , cost a bit more but they seem to last a bit longer

your correct. a "cold" plug is more suited for high nitro content fuels.

Plug "temperature" is not a relationship to ambient temp, its more of a timing thing. IE since a "hotter" fuel with a high nitro content has a quicker flash than low nitro fuel, the ignition timing can be delayed with a "cold" plug.

Right. It's also not ideal for a truck engine because of the constant starting and stopping. Hot and medium plugs hold a better idle and provide better throttle response.
Cold plugs are better for high rpm engines, and will also allow any engine to rev higher.

Back