Pros and cons of ELECTRIC vs. NITRO

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to embellish on a topic but I noticed the slash modified seems to be pretty good. But, I was wondering is the slash pretty good off road and bashable? I have seen the slash doing some off road stuff but it seems to have a low clearance as appose to most off road types.

brushless motors are extremely powerful and have litterally no maintence.. lipo batteries are litium polarides and are very dengerous to charge if you do not have the correct equipment...

and brushlesss boy...i was told that you had to like maintain lipos once a week if they wernt being used??

I thought Lipo was Lithium Polymer batteries.

Nitro Pros: Fast, Noisy, Smell, and Air Time off the right jump.

Nitro Cons: your screwed if you overheat it.

Electirc Pros: Cheaper (depending on what you get), Quieter, good for beginners.

Electric Cons: you get like 5 minutes of run time on a 5 hour charge (depending on the battery)

Nitro Pros: Fast, Noisy, Smell, and Air Time off the right jump.

Nitro Cons: your screwed if you overheat it.

Electirc Pros: Cheaper (depending on what you get), Quieter, good for beginners.

Electric Cons: you get like 5 minutes of run time on a 5 hour charge (depending on the battery)

You have obviously never tried running any of the new technology. Like it has been posted many times. I get almost 2 hours in my crawler out of a battery that is about 2 inches long, an inch wide, and 1/4 inch thick. I know, crawlers dont go that fast, but the torque and power out of these motor is easily 5x that of a regular electric vehicle and draws the same if not more current.
Now you wana talk about speed, I have a 1/18 scale electric that will run at over 55mph. It will go from stopped to over 55 mph in about 2 seconds. It outruns any traxxas 3.3 nitro out there. And jumps...... I have never seen any vehicle take more abuse than a Traxxas slash. I was able to perform a double backflip off of a speedbump with the RC18. The high torque from these tiny motors enables instant response on the trigger.

I am personaly getting sick of having to:
Fill up truck with fuel, insert glow ignitor,crank truck, begin tune, truck dies, insert glow ignitor, crank truck again, check temp, run for a little bit to warm up engine, check temps again, bash for a little while, bring it in, check temps, refuel, bash a lil more, kill truck, (ouch, damn burned the piss outa my finger on hot ass exhaust pipe), let cool, drain old fuel, put in after run oil, crank truck, clean all the crap off the truck, put it on the shelf to wait till the next run.

I love having to:
Put battery in truck, plug it in, drive, 30 min later, change battery, drive, 30 min later, take out battery, blow truck off with air, plug batteries into charger, push button, put truck on shelf.

I love having to:
Put battery in truck, plug it in, drive, 30 min later, change battery, drive, 30 min later, take out battery, blow truck off with air, plug batteries into charger, push button, put truck on shelf.

I do not know about Nitro's YET, but I have to agree with this part up to the 30 minute run and then change battery, drive another 30 mintues then take out the battery and blow off the truck and put on a shelf.

After the first battery depletes, I put it back on the charger and charge it up while I am running the second battery. LOL But other then that yeah, I really do like only having to blow off the dust and planning to go back out with it the next day and the next day and the next day...LOL:D

i think nitro is better. because i like working on my car and because i like the sound. but i also like electric because they r fast and quite. so i don't mind either of them.

What kind of batteries give you the longest run time and how long is that run time?

LiPo are the current favorite.

The higher the mah the longer the run time, Max Amps has all the way up to 12000 mah packs, If you could fit in your RC it would probably last longer then you would care to drive in one continous run, unless you had a good lawn chair to relax in while you drove it. I am with alpinehyperlite and Gundragon on this one, I have both electric and nitro, and by far much prefer to drive my brushless electric...

Does anyone make a truggy that could accept d cells as some are 10,000 mah? Would this be too much for racing? Maybe 1/8 scale?

Sorry to be late on asking this but what does mah and esc stand for?

I have no experience with electric. I like the nitro because I am a grease monkey at heart and nothing is more satisfying then getting your engine in that sweet spot and knowing you did it all on your own.

Last edited:
if you use a petrol engine you can run up to 1 hr thats long

Sorry to be late on asking this but what does mah and esc stand for?

ESC means Electronic speed control. Its like the carborator for electrics.

mAh (Milliamp Hour) - A measure of a battery's total capacity. The higher the number (ex. 600 mAh, 1,500 mAh) the more charge a battery can hold and usually, the longer a battery will last under a certain load. Typical R/C batteries are in the 1,900 - 4,300 mAh range.

Back