Pros and cons of ELECTRIC vs. NITRO

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

251southernsmoke

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi guys, I know everyone has there opinion on ELECTRIC vs. NITRO and that’s exactly why I'm creating this forum. So I know that there is the advantages of both but I want to hear your opinion on which is overall the better choice in buying. Thanks.

Nitro Pro's: Loud and cool, gets everyone's attention. More fun to work on. High speeds, easly upgradeable.
Cons: loud, gets everyone's attention. Too much maintenance (after run oil, draining fuel, remembering to charge batteries even though it is a nitro, rebuilding engines), fuel, too much stuff to carry with you (fuel bottle, ignitor, fuel, temp gun, starter) Having to tune all the time.

Electric Pros: Quiet, just as much if not more power than nitro's, no maintenance after running. Simple to work on. no tuning, unless you want to.

Cons: Batteries.

About the only thing I'd add to the above post, electric can be fast and easy to take out and run anytime the 'itch' strikes (as long as you keep a freshly charged pack handy) without having to worry about the after-run side.

eah but inorder to get the power required to keep up with a nitro youd have to be brushless and lipo

and lipo batteries require maintence

Lipo batteries require less maintenance than NiMh. Just be sure you buy a balancing charger and it does everything for you, as it charges. Its not like NiMh where you have to cycle them every couple of charges.
It does cost more on initial set up but after that the ongoing cost is far cheaper.
Brushless is faster and more power, depending on motors, batteries etc, but you will need several spare batteries for maximum playtime.
I do have a big soft spot for my nitros though! No question

The Nitro does seem to be a bit more expensive to keep on the road and in the dirt than electrics. With the cost of fuel, after run oil, and stuff like that.

However, I do find that I enjoy the nitro's much better!

Good morning.

It's the run time that keeps me in favor of the Nitro. I like being able to pull my truck in, still running, and top off the gas tank then take off within 5 seconds. Electric, unless you spend the money to have several battery packs, tends to have shorter run times and most of the time is spent charging. I'm not too familiar with the brushless and lipo, so I can't say if they do or don't offer better quality time.

One downfall to the Nitro right now is the Nitro Fuel crisis and it being short supplied. My LHS has it, but they've jacked the price way up. I've just dipped in to my 2nd gallon and think I'm going to have to go buy a few more before they raise it even more!

I like the sound of Nitro, too. Nothing like being able to hear that engine roaring.

Can someone go into more detail about what the Brushless and Lipo system is?

brushless motors are extremely powerful and have litterally no maintence.. lipo batteries are litium polarides and are very dengerous to charge if you do not have the correct equipment...

and brushlesss boy...i was told that you had to like maintain lipos once a week if they wernt being used??

Last edited:
and brushlesss boy i was told that you had to like maintain lipos once a week if they wernt being used

Whoever told you that does not know what they are talking about.

While there are specific handling concerns which are mostly common sense, all you really need to be sure of is that you don't allow a lipo packs voltage to drop below a certain point which is usually 3 volts per cell.

Last edited:
how do you make sure of that wouldnt that require checking them constantly and re charging them??

But if you have the proper esc for a lipo battery you have nothing to worry about because it will cutoff way before that will happen.

how do you make sure of that wouldnt that require checking them constantly and re charging them??

Lipo batts do not self discharge as quickly as you clearly have been told.

Fully charge and balance your pack then store it in secure manner. You would then use a volt meter to check the voltage once a month until you notice the voltage start to drop. If it does, you simply charge it back up. Simple as that.

Here is an example. I have a 3S Maxamps pack that I fully charged 2+ months ago and stored. It read 12.6v after charging. It is still reading 12.6v as of the 15th of this month.

a charge will probably last longer in storage than an opened can of nitro.

sorry guys i had some mis. information sorry...

nitro cons: nitro prices have increased
pros: sounds cool

electric cons: batteries
pros: quiet

Okay, got to bump this one again because I have a question about the pros and cons.

I have been looking into possibly buying a Jato 3.3 some time in the future. I like the idea that it's 2 wheel drive, sick speeds and from video's I have seen, the off road performance is kind of fun. Are there any Electrics out there that perform like a Jato 3.3?

i like my nitro because fuel is so much more fun that electric.

I like the noise, smoke, and smell.

electric to me is kinda boring and batteries cost cash (couse so does fuel) and good chargers are money ect. i dunno. its prolly just cause I'm a little biased..

The Jato isn't a good off road truck. Short, low and not overly strong. They are overpowered and don't handle very well on dirt. They are great on road however, if all you want to do is go fast.
The VXL Rustler or Losi's Firestorm Flux, both with 3s Lipo will go just as fast if geared correctly, and both will handle better.

The Jato isn't a good off road truck. Short, low and not overly strong. They are overpowered and don't handle very well on dirt. They are great on road however, if all you want to do is go fast.
The VXL Rustler or Losi's Firestorm Flux, both with 3s Lipo will go just as fast if geared correctly, and both will handle better.

Or a brushless converted Jato. ;)

Back