Problems with receiver

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFranchise

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, just plugged in my receiver to my battery pack on my Savage 25. my transmitter and receiver are a Spectrum DX2E. I plug the batter pack into the ON/OFF switch by itself, when i turn the switch on the receiver powers up. When i plug the throttle and steering in, the receiver powers off, but when i take them both back out it powers back on. Brand new batteries are in the battery pack. I even tried plugging them both in one at a time and even then the receiver powers off. Anyone have any idea on what may be causing the problem?

Are you using alkaline batteries? Sometimes the servos can draw more current than the alkaline batteries can provide. I recommend getting a NiMH rechargeable pack for your Savage.

Is it a 2.5, and did you bind them properly?

Plug EVERYTHING in before you start giving it power.
Battery to the switch, switch to the Rx and then both servos to the Rx. THEN turn on the power to the transmitter FIRST and THEN the receiver.

I don't see your particular problem being caused by the type of batteries you're using, but you will want to upgrade to a rechargeable hump pack in the future.

Can't remember exactly what type of batteries I am using. At first I had Duracell in them but they were dead so I switch to some new ones I had laying around the house. The first time I hooked all of it up, it was all plugged in before I turned my radio on. I could hear it kick in but I couldn't get my steering to work. then I looked at the light on my receiver and it was flickering on and off so I figured it was the batteries. So I changed them and ever since I changed them, it hasn't worked.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 7:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:52 AM ----------

I'm not sure what you mean by binding them properly.......sorry guys, new too all of this.

Need more info. Is this new or used? Do you have a manual? Did you read it? It will explain how to bind the Rx to the Tx if it's a 2.4.

Do you have an AM, FM, or a 2.4 GHz radio? Binding is required for the 2.4. The light blinking on the Rx might mean it's in 'bind' mode.

Don't deal with what's "Lying around the house" but go out and buy a complete set of Alkalines for both the Rx and the Tx. When you're having an electrical problem, ALL the batteries need to be BRAND NEW.
Until we know that's done, we won't know what the problem is.

Last edited:
My tx and rx are 2.4ghz. Its a spectrum dx2e. And I bought the truck off this rc car forum. All the batteries that I've tried have all been brand new.

My tx and rx are 2.4ghz. Its a spectrum dx2e. And I bought the truck off this rc car forum. All the batteries that I've tried have all been brand new.

You bought it off THIS rc car forum?
Again, do you have the manual? Is seems the receiver has not been through the binding process since you got it.
Until that's done, nothing will work.
If you don't have a manual, go to the HPI site and download it or go to the Spektrum site for instructions on binding.

I have the manual for the rx/tx but not for the truck itself. Is the binding process hard?

---------- Post added at 6:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:34 PM ----------

Also, yes I bought it off this forum.

Look in your Spektrum manual. It will give you clear and simple instructions. No special tools or heavy lifting is involved.

Manuals are there for a reason. Don't even attempt to start and drive that rig till you are thoroughly familiar with the settings.

Download and print the truck manual from HPI's site.

Who did you buy it from? If you got the radio and truck together it should have been bound already.

Anyone have any idea on what may be causing the problem?

You won't read the manual that came with it.

I have the manual for the rx/tx but not for the truck itself. Is the binding process hard?

Is the binding process hard? Well, I'd say it's almost impossible if you don't read the manual where it explains how to bind it.

You have the manual right there. Should someone here type it out for you? Either way, you'll have to read something and do it yourself.

Better still, why try to learn something you need to know in this hobby. Just take it to a hobby shop and let someone else do it for you.
If it doesn't say Radio Shack or NewBrite on the truck you'll have to read the manuals.

I bought it from a guy by the name of traxxasfreak I think

So binding my tx/rx will make everything work then?

No, but it will let your radio control the servos that are in the truck. From there, you'll need to make adjustments, like setting the EPA, etc. Which will involve, you guessed it, reading an instruction manual.

I think that's been suggested since post #3.
Yes, binding your Rx to your Tx will make EVERYTHING work. The radio will work the receiver which in turn will work the servos, which will work the steering and the throttle. Almost a miracle, isn't it?
Rusty steam engines from the 1800s will work, standing tube radios from the 1940s will work. Even the drunks and the homeless will work, and all because YOU read a paragraph in the manual on how to do it.

I would just sell it. Or at least ask the "piss of crab" that sold it to you to come out and show you how to use it. Why would you buy a savage from a guy that calls him self a tmaxx freak...?

Look in your Spektrum manual. It will give you clear and simple instructions. No special tools or heavy lifting is involved.

Manuals are there for a reason. Don't even attempt to start and drive that rig till you are thoroughly familiar with the settings.

Download and print the truck manual from HPI's site.

Seriously? Rolex has basically made it easy for you by telling you to READ THE MANUAL! What else do you want?

Back