Problem with new revo 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRATH22

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi everyone I'm new to this site and so far i like it very much tones of info. Well my problem is that i bought a revo 3.3 and have been nothing but problems with this thing since day one. I followed the break in process just like the book after that i cleaned the filter changed glow plug i used 20% nitro fule and have not changed. Every tank I've ran so far the truck stalls under excell doesn't shift to 2nd gear at all never did actually. i havent ran it int water or mud no jumping it either. i set needles to factory settings and still running like crap its very frustrating. any advice would bve greatly appreciated. also i was told that stock revos wont do wheelies is that accurate? what casn i do for this to run right as well as the wheelies.??????
PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE TUNE!! Thank you for your time!:)

Factory Settings are purposely rich to allow break in without smoking the motor. You need to tune it from there. If you don't have a temp gauge, go buy one. It will be your BEST friend when tuning. My Revo runs great at @ 250-265 degreeds when I'm running in grass. Cooler than that on the track...and I still have some tuning to do. Just do a search for tuning guides here on the forums. It's been talked about in length MANY MANY times. Your Revo will be fine....just needs to be leaned out (tuned) I'm sure.

motogod thank u very much man i really appreciate it how do i do a search on this problem that I'm having? I'm new in case u couldnt tell lol. its very fruatraing this revo to get tuned in i know i never touched the low speed only high. so i close it all the way and opened to 3 1/2 I'm buy a temp gauge this weekend and the guy at the store said he can tune it for 25 bucks so it runs great. maybe ill do that. what bout the wheelies? do revos do them i was told no

Yeah most likely your are still to rich, hence why its not shifting.

motogod thank u very much man i really appreciate it how do i do a search on this problem that I'm having? I'm new in case u couldnt tell lol. its very fruatraing this revo to get tuned in i know i never touched the low speed only high. so i close it all the way and opened to 3 1/2 I'm buy a temp gauge this weekend and the guy at the store said he can tune it for 25 bucks so it runs great. maybe ill do that. what bout the wheelies? do revos do them i was told no

It is very frustrating not being able to get the thing to run right but when it does finally run right its awesome, and if you let someone else tune it for ya it takes half the fun out of it, all you gotta do is tune your high speed needle and then your low speed needle, to tune the high speed needle start to drive the revo and gradually start to lean it out, 1/16 or 1/8 turns counterclockwise to tune it for performance but make sure you check your temps often cuz there is a "sweet spot" on the 3.3 for the optimum performance and you don't wanna get out of that "sweet spot" because you run the risk of smokin the motor, but after you are happy with the tune on the high speed needle, move to the low speed and the easiest way to do that is to stop the truck in front of you and pinch off the fuel if it revs up and stalls out within 2 seconds your pretty good but if it runs longer than that you need to do some adjustments, if it runs too long you need to lean out the LSN if it just stalls out as soon as you pinch the fuel you need to richen it up, i hope this helps you. Also the 3.3 will stand up with the right tune, just mess with it and you should be fine, also you could adjust ur slipper clutch a little bit but not too much, just some friendly advice as i said before i hope this helps you. And since your a newbie i will say this one last thing, Welcome to RCNT :bowtothercnt:

i don't know but i been going clockwise to lean it out. i'll go check the manual again. lol

i don't know but i been going clockwise to lean it out. i'll go check the manual again. lol

Yes it is clock-wise to lean. And i would only do 1/16th turns just starting out learning to tune. And yes as stated above, You are running a bit rich they will not shift if it is to rich.And as a new truck i would not mess with the slipper clutch. Keep asking those questions. Trust us once you learn The "How To's" From everyone here you will enjoy yourself and be hooked on the hobby.
Remember have fun and be patient! You'll be fine man.

Oh and if you ever get messed up on what your settings are the stock settings are...
4 turns out on the high speed needle
1 1/2 turns out on the low speed needle
And about 1mm open on the slide (idle)

Last edited:
oops my mistake, it is clockwise

GUYS, remember CLOCKWISE to lean, ANTI CLOCKWISE to richen lets not confuse the poor devil :hehe:

Or another way to remember it is, it takes MORE TIME lean it right, and to richen it is like going backwards in time.

BTW, 25 seems a little much just to tune an engine, i've done it for nothing for friends in the past a great many times, but they still gave me a fiver for doing it, mainly because i showed them how to do it while i was doing the tuning.

Sadly, i never tuned an engine under .21 size until now.

LOL

WOW Thanks guys for all the info and advice I've recieved here this is my first day on here and I'm already feeling better bout my revo 3.3 lol. I'm still getting the summit in a few month though as well. i will try this advice i was givin asap i also want to get a temp gauge as well seems to be highly recommended by most. Also once this revo is tuned how often do i have to make adjustments based apon the weather? i live boston mass. the weather here is constantly changing one day 85 high humidity the nest 60 and cool so with that bn said how often does the tune change and how do i figure out how to tune based on the weather is it just trial and error?:whhooo:

its a good idea to adjust your tune every day that you run for optimum running but its not gonna be a huge difference. .and yeah it really is just trial and error. . .at least it was for me
:)

You will have to tune your truck every day to the weather.My truck runs great at 185 to 190 degrees.But you don't want to go over 270 degrees.

You will have to tune your truck every day to the weather.My truck runs great at 185 to 190 degrees.But you don't want to go over 270 degrees.

if you are running that cold. . .you have alot more potential in that engine

I, too, am in a similar situation. When I was doing break in the truck ran great until I hit a tree at about 35mph still breaking in on the fifth tank, destroying the front left suspension. I bought and installed RPM upper and lower arms and traxxas steel CV shafts on all four corners. I also installed a venom failsafe with temp monitoring/fail safe.

I took it out into a grassy field today and it fired right up but it seemed low on power and wouldn't shift into second. I romped it around for a few minutes trying to get it to shift. There was a faint blue trail of smoke and the engine sounded fine. When I drove it back around to me and stopped it, it would not accelerate from a stop in the grass like the clutch was just slipping. I then looked at the peak temp on the venom and holy crap, it read a max of 400 degrees F!! I dont see how this could be right tho....

Anyways you guys say to lean but I'm worried about temps, although it didn't sound lean....

Why would a rich condition cause it to seem like the clutch is slipping? Lack of torque?

Well I'm buying a temp gauge asap than I'm goin to start all over factory settings ne wplug and hopefully a new set of nerves cause my last ones were shot lol. again thanks to all for your advice and info. keep it coming please! QUESTION BOUT SHIFTING:within how many feet should the revo shift??

it all depends on where you have it set to shift. . .you can set it to really spool up that motor or you can set it to shift alot sooner. .generally you should hear it run through first for about 5-6 seconds and then shift. . .thats how mines set and i haven' t had any problems with it

mine was set to shift about 3/4 of the way up the RPM range when i got it used, then i set it to shift at around the 6/7 second mark, that is, before it started sporadic shifting.

I've heard it said that it should shift around the middle of the RPM range, but between 5 and 6 seconds is a good starting point.

I, too, am in a similar situation. When I was doing break in the truck ran great until I hit a tree at about 35mph still breaking in on the fifth tank, destroying the front left suspension. I bought and installed RPM upper and lower arms and traxxas steel CV shafts on all four corners. I also installed a venom failsafe with temp monitoring/fail safe.

I took it out into a grassy field today and it fired right up but it seemed low on power and wouldn't shift into second. I romped it around for a few minutes trying to get it to shift. There was a faint blue trail of smoke and the engine sounded fine. When I drove it back around to me and stopped it, it would not accelerate from a stop in the grass like the clutch was just slipping. I then looked at the peak temp on the venom and holy crap, it read a max of 400 degrees F!! I dont see how this could be right tho....

Anyways you guys say to lean but I'm worried about temps, although it didn't sound lean....

Why would a rich condition cause it to seem like the clutch is slipping? Lack of torque?

Running in grass can cause your motor to run warmer than normal....certainly not 400 degrees though.
If you hit a tree doing 35mph you might want to check for air leak somewhere, that's a pretty hard jolt for the truck. Every Revo is different, but after a nasty wreck I usually had to reset my needles to factory and retune it. Your slipper clutch may be getting glazed over also and could use some tightening.

Back