Pilot shaft?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyk6

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What is a pilot shaft?

I'm looking for an engine to go into a Storm. Picked up a Storm rolling chassis and now I need an engine for it.

Thanks,
Matt

pilot shaft

1005-b.jpg

standard shaft
1700-000101.jpg

I was told to get a pilot shaft for my storm. Is that correct? What does the pilot do that the non-pilot doesn't do? And vice-versa. Why the difference in shafts? And is the threads the only difference?

Thanks,
Matt

yes u want you pilot shaft, and why they have 2 i dont know, but i dont think I've seen a standard shaft .21 before (personally)

Originally posted by mattyk6
I was told to get a pilot shaft for my storm. Is that correct? What does the pilot do that the non-pilot doesn't do? And vice-versa. Why the difference in shafts? And is the threads the only difference?

Thanks,
Matt

The only difference is the shaft itself. The threads are the same. You can use an adapter if your RC requires a pilot shaft and your engine doesn't have one. If you engine has a pilot shaft and it doesn't fit on your RC because of the unneed shaft, some people are known to cut the pilot part of the shaft off. I don't suggest that.

Typically, you want to buy the proper pilot / non-pilot engine that your RC requires.

-RobH

So, pilot just refers to the part of the shaft that has no threads?

Thanks,
Matt