pc question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CntCtchMe

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
as of right now i have a copy of xp pro on here that i was fortunate to have or i would not be on here right now, i have lost my serial keys for my original dell reinstallation of windows for mine and my gf dell systems, so i was wondering is there a way to get the original serial keys for the disks i have, and i need to redo my computer, have tried to several times acually with no sucess, i have tried to format my c drive but cannot for sumk reason I'm thinkin becuase its it ntfs format, not sure but I've never had to format a drive with this type system , all my others have been fat32, i have my pro installed on my e(media drive) right now and its runnin really slow becuase i installed it without formatting it prior to instalation because it was an emergency instal or i would have lost everything on it becuase the operating systm on c drive was screwed up somhow and wouldnt boot, my quastion is how cannot i format the c drive, i have tried to and when there is a startup disk in the floppy and i type format c: it says "not a valid command name" nor could i do it when i was trying to from my computer and righting clicking on it and selcting format, this was obviously being done after i installed pro onto e drive, but thats what i have typed everytme i have formatted from dos before i switched to ntfs format now it will not format, i know this was in too detail but I'm stuck here with this slow system

Last edited by a moderator:
CntCtchMe,

What you need to do is contact Dell for your system restore CD's. The CD-Key's are located on your Dell machines usually on the side of the computer. From there you'll use the system restore CD's to re-format your hard drive, re-install windows and usually re-install and preloaded program that came with your computer.

You can also contact Microsoft about getting a new CD-Key as well however you'll have to show proof that you indeed have purchased a copy of Windows XP.

-Michael

thank you woodyi didnt even think to look there i have seen the key before on the side of the pc and i didnt even think about it til i read that, like i said i have all of the disks dell gave me with the pc i now jsut need to get sum time to redo it, again thanks

No problem - glad I could help.

-Michael

Back