"Noise makers" Engine sound box question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heisenburg

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Boating
Not sure this is a worthy subject, as I have been ridiculed before, and not many people ask me to install in their cars, but here goes.
With every car I build, I have to add sound to it. This was my first and favourite in the beginning https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Adjustable-Simulator-System-Memory/dp/B09VFXFBK5
Then in 2019, I tried using one in my 4x4 Rustler, and it would "idle", but not "rev up". I traced the problem to the receiver box. I traded with a buddy of mine to get a classic receiver and make it work. Every car made after 2018 seems to have this trait. Did this a few more times for other cars, but I have decided I can't keep farming up classic receivers to get engine sound.
2 ways I can proceed. 1one is if anyone knows of an engine sound system that will work with Traxxas. The other way is if anyone knows why newer Traxxi do not respond to the throttle change to "rev up".
I tried this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/386176333189 and got it to power on, but never heard any engine sound from it. Not sure if it was defective, ended up returning it.

I've never installed a sound simulator. It's not really my thing, but we do have some construction rigs with sound that is pretty cool. I would be interested to know why it's not working though, so watching.

I originally joined the Traxxas forum, and asked this question. They would not answer, comparing it to asking Toyota why a cell phone charger won't work in a Camry. So I closed my account there and joined up here instead.
I have to have engine sound, unless it is a real throw down race. I moved from nitro to electric due to allergies, and my 1st concern was that I would only hear gear clashing, tyre noise, and maybe some electric motor whir when driving. No car of mine even left my shop for the street without having sound, even my 1st electric.

The 1st receiver I borrowed that worked was from a 2016 E Maxx, without TSM.
I can't remember if I ever tried the unit I got for my Blast boat in 2018. I put in a TQi radio receiver to get rid of that ridiculous antenna, and so I could use the same remote for all my Traxxai.
Hmmmm, what about my M41 Kitty boat? Don't think I ever pulled that one out to swap. No plans to use a sound box there.......But like I said, getting sick of farming these things up just to accommodate sound.
Hmm, so does it just plug in to any open port on the receiver, or do you daisy chain it to the throttle port?
It uses a Y-cable. You plug the male into the receiver throttle channel (2), then plug the ESC into 1 of the Y female ends, and the sound box to the other Y female end.

Interesting, can't imagine how the receiver's output signal would differ at the throttle ports... unless it's a different frequency/pulse rate between TSM and non... got an O'scope handy? :happy:

I think the receiver gets a throttle signal from the radio transmitter, to which it sends to the ESC to spin the motor. I suppose the Y cable just sends that same signal to the sound box for power and throttle position, so it can "rev up" appropriately.
I had a theory that having TSM or not might have been the distinction, but I may have dismissed that theory somehow. My 1st Rustler from 2017 and my 2018 Stampede 4x4 were both VXL and have TSM. They both take the sound box just fine.

I really don't know why it wouldn't sense throttle up. I don't have much experience with these. The only thing I can tell you is when I started out, with my bare bones brushed slash 2wd, in 2015, it came with OBA (On Board Audio) and worked for me, being little (7) I liked it, a few years later I got a new body which took away my use to use the OBA. I found my stock factory body with the speakers and they were fried so couldn't here / test the OBA. No idea where I put the module and speakers or where it went. Traxxas discontinued the OBA but there looks to be a few on eBay when I last checked, but it will be more expensive, and it would probably work better too with other traxxas electronics. OMG, traxxas actually made something that worked and works better than others!?!?! Thats a first, lol 🤣 :thumbs-up:

I heard of OBA, but decided not to get it because of its single make / single model use. That might work but I hear it depends largely on the acoustics of the body shell to sound good. I have a streetable VW buggy body I would definitely want the sound for, but would probably race it without for the lighter weight. I am trying to get a stock Slash body for racing. The VW is for beauty/street use.

Last edited:
The issue you're experiencing with your sound module not functioning correctly with newer Traxxas receivers is likely due to changes in receiver technology or the communication protocol between the receiver and the sound module. Here are some potential reasons for this incompatibility:

1. Signal Protocol Changes: Modern RC receivers, including those from Traxxas, may use different signal protocols or have updated firmware that changes how they communicate with connected devices. If your sound module was designed for an older protocol, it might not interpret the signals from a new receiver correctly, leading to issues like the engine sound not revving up properly.
  2. PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) Signal Differences: RC receivers control connected devices (like servos or ESCs) using PWM signals. Changes in how these signals are generated or their frequency range in newer receivers could affect compatibility with older sound modules.
  3. Advanced Receiver Features: New Traxxas receivers may include advanced features like telemetry or specific programming that could interfere with or not support older sound modules.

There used to be one or two RC companies making these sound modules but I dont think anyone makes them now except for generic Chinesium ones like THESE from Amazon. You may have to experiment around with them and see if any of them are compatible with newer receivers. Maybe try contacting the sellers/manufacturers and ask them if they are compatible.

Last edited:
Amain has a video on the subject. He reved the throttle on the TX and it did rev, was pretty cool. I would like that on my Felony. Traxxas will not answer questions pertaining to after market questions. If it's not all Traxxas, they wont help you. I saw 1 or 2 speakers systems. Depending on what you want to spend. One system had a small sub woofer, had resonance. Keep us posted. :thumbs-up: 🏁. I saw the video on YouTube. Good luck. Mike.

I've done this to several of my crawlers, 2 of which were originally running on traxxas tqi's and had no problems with function. You do have to perform a simple calibration similar to calibrating an esc.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-associated-sense-innovations-essdual-engine-sound-simulator-system-asc29263/p723721?gclid=CjwKCAiAgeeqBhBAEiwAoDDhn7clGffg8YtXfAT5ccdlBy0vS5JTwyb6FT2QsUfgxpk18FKvYCu-hhoCpyAQAAmazon.

They're usually cheaper on amazon. Most of the kits come with mounting brackets for trx4, scx10, and ...... something else, I forget.

Last edited:
I've done this to several of my crawlers, 2 of which were originally running on traxxas tqi's and had no problems with function. You do have to perform a simple calibration similar to calibrating an esc.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-associated-sense-innovations-essdual-engine-sound-simulator-system-asc29263/p723721?gclid=CjwKCAiAgeeqBhBAEiwAoDDhn7clGffg8YtXfAT5ccdlBy0vS5JTwyb6FT2QsUfgxpk18FKvYCu-hhoCpyAQAAmazon.

They're usually cheaper on amazon. Most of the kits come with mounting brackets for trx4, scx10, and ...... something else, I forget.
Amain has a video on the subject. He reved the throttle on the TX and it did rev, was pretty cool. I would like that on my Felony. Traxxas will not answer questions pertaining to after market questions. If it's not all Traxxas, they wont help you. I saw 1 or 2 speakers systems. Depending on what you want to spend. One system had a small sub woofer, had resonance. Keep us posted. :thumbs-up: 🏁. I saw the video on YouTube. Good luck. Mike.

I inherited one of those 'boxes in a trade, currently on my Rat Rod Slagster. (See my build thread) I am using the sound of a 427 Yenko Camaro, and it has an intimidating idle, wide open pipe revving, and goes through "gears".
I tried to buy a cheap knock off version of that, and it didn't work. So if all else fails, and according to Greywolf, it probably will, I'll be getting yours. I think the hardest thing for me is deciding what engine "voice" to give it. The other thing I do like about this unit is that I can put on a platform so I can remove it quickly for racing purposes.
The issue you're experiencing with your sound module not functioning correctly with newer Traxxas receivers is likely due to changes in receiver technology or the communication protocol between the receiver and the sound module. Here are some potential reasons for this incompatibility:

1. Signal Protocol Changes: Modern RC receivers, including those from Traxxas, may use different signal protocols or have updated firmware that changes how they communicate with connected devices. If your sound module was designed for an older protocol, it might not interpret the signals from a new receiver correctly, leading to issues like the engine sound not revving up properly.
  2. PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) Signal Differences: RC receivers control connected devices (like servos or ESCs) using PWM signals. Changes in how these signals are generated or their frequency range in newer receivers could affect compatibility with older sound modules.
  3. Advanced Receiver Features: New Traxxas receivers may include advanced features like telemetry, multiple channels, or specific programming that could interfere with or not support older sound modules.

There used to be one or two RC companies making these sound modules but I dont think anyone makes them now except for generic Chinesium ones like THESE from Amazon. You may have to experiment around with them and see if any of them are compatible with newer receivers. Maybe try contacting the sellers/manufacturers and ask them if they are compatible.
Thank you. There it is, the explanation I have been waiting for for almost 5 years. I do have a couple of spare Chinese sound boxes that worked ok, They might have to remain just that, only able to repair/replace the ones on my vintage cruisers.
I must say I appreciate the responses to this question I had been afraid to ask.

Last edited:
Back