Parks definition of motor vehicle help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An RC truck is a toy not a vehicle. They can still toss you for roosting the place up and being dangerous. Remember it's their definition of dangerous not yours. The safety of others and the park grounds is part of their responsibilities.

An RC truck is a toy not a vehicle.

To be fair a 10lb car going 60 mph is not really a toy it's more of a weapon in the wrong hands. But it's not a vehicle.

I would hope the cops have better things to do or at least my neighborhood they do. They run from call to call and unless you are chasing people with a spiked RC on fire they probably won't show up.

_4dd4aba6-ff84-40b1-b594-49579e00fb9d.jpg

I'll never forget the time I first got into RC planes and built a glider to fly at the local park. I'd let my puppy run around off leash before there were "leash rules" while I flew my glider for hours on end. My eyes were fixed on the plane looking up in the sky but I would always call my dog over to me before a landing to ensure a safe landing zone. Needless to say there was an irresponsible parent who decided to let their toddler run across the field toward my plane as it was coming in for a landing. Not even a single word of caution was mentioned as my plane was effectively targeting a direct head shot into the child (as he continued to run into the plane) when the kid came into focus of my peripheral vision and I instantly jerked the elevator back, nearly missing the kid's forehead by inches! No doubt the plane would've killed the kid and the parent was clueless to the level of danger of what just happened. I was really shook up over it and never flew at that park ever again. I immediately joined the AMA and started flying at a sanctioned club with restricted space to never risk that experience again.

Not saying that RC cars are nearly as dangerous as planes, but somebody can get seriously hurt and this can be avoidable, I only race my cars at RC Car Clubs to avoid the following scenarios:

Hey Bill,

Quoting you and bolding a sentence catching my attention.

Therein lies the problem for surface RCers. No umbrella organization we can go to able to locate and facilitate a safe location for RC cars.

Recall back 2011 when bashing a Losi SCB went to the local aero club that had built a MT course near their landing field. Kind of a try-out to see the response they got. Two freebies allowed so went there twice, but balked at the $125 annual club fee. In retrospect and with the dearth of locations avilable to surface RCers these days, seems like a bargain now.

Last edited:
I'll never forget the time I first got into RC planes and built a glider to fly at the local park. I'd let my puppy run around off leash before there were "leash rules" while I flew my glider for hours on end. My eyes were fixed on the plane looking up in the sky but I would always call my dog over to me before a landing to ensure a safe landing zone. Needless to say there was an irresponsible parent who decided to let their toddler run across the field toward my plane as it was coming in for a landing. Not even a single word of caution was mentioned as my plane was effectively targeting a direct head shot into the child (as he continued to run into the plane) when the kid came into focus of my peripheral vision and I instantly jerked the elevator back, nearly missing the kid's forehead by inches! No doubt the plane would've killed the kid and the parent was clueless to the level of danger of what just happened. I was really shook up over it and never flew at that park ever again. I immediately joined the AMA and started flying at a sanctioned club with restricted space to never risk that experience again.

Not saying that RC cars are nearly as dangerous as planes, but somebody can get seriously hurt and this can be avoidable, I only race my cars at RC Car Clubs to avoid the following scenarios:

I know my heaviest rc weighs in at 7# and tops out at 53mph. Granted I rarely run it flat out. No question it would snap a bone. I have my son stand on a wooden wine crate when he runs mine. Also turn it down.

Last edited:
Therein lies the problem for surface RCers. No umbrella organization we can go to able to locate and facilitate a safe location for RC cars.

This is one of the main reasons I no longer consider myself a "basher" and why I choose to race exclusively at clubs. As you know, I once built a makeshift race track at the beach while on vacation in Galveston and that was a great way to secure a dedicated space away from any crowds and this is the most important part of being a responsible basher.

1) Find a local club to play with our toys
2) If no club is available then locate a space away from people
3) If a crowd begins to form, then it's the operators responsibility to avoid others.

Here's a prime example of a video that my son captured while I was driving at a local skate park which was fairly crowded and I really had no business driving the car during these conditions, I came very close to kids far too many times... I was the nuisance and I am ashamed to admit how wrong I was and I no longer do this sort of thing anymore:

Last edited:
Back