OS or Picco?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rak12

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a tmaxx 3.3 with some mods that ultimately made it stronger and heavier and therfore slower. I ready to upgrade mills but am torn between
Picco .26 and the OS .21. I've heard great things about both but thee Picco produces nearly 3HP for about $250 and the OS only about 2 HP for $300. Is the OS that much better of an engine?

From what i read most t-maxx guys are going with picco engines. Os is a great engine company though. I'm sure some picco guys will chime in.

Tower Hobbies has the Picco 26 Max for 200.00, the Red Dot version of the Picco 26 Max for 220.00 and the OS 21TM for 270.00.

I run the Picco Outlaw 26 - which shares the same piston/cylinder with the 26 Max.
It's a good engine with a lot of bottom end torque. In stock form it's listed as reaching 32,000 rpm's (Red Dot - 34,000).
I've not run the OS 21TM, but his specs show him getting up to 35,000 rpm's.

If you think about it, the .26 offers nearly 25% more displacement than the 21.
I'm guessing the major difference boils down to a brute torque 26 versus a higher revving smaller displacement experience. Both companies make good engines.

I just got through with the same battle your going through and I chose the os .21 for my revo. Only because I really didn't believe I needed that much more motor to step to a .26 and from my reading's the os actually has more torque but the .26 has more top end and I was looking for more torque to get off jumps better. I thinking either way you go you will be happy though plus my lhs had one in stock and they stand behind there stuff they sell vs me having to order a picco and if something was wrong with it then I'm out 250 bucks.

The OS does seem to have a tiny bit more torque....it feels a little snappier on the throttle. However, the power band of the Picco is a lot smoother and wraps a lot higher before it runs out of steam. Lets not kid ourselves that the Picco still has way more torque than I can use in a Revo with out gearing up a lot. Both are great engines....I am not sure the OS is worth the extra price tag though. If you never plan on having it on anything but a short track or small running areas it would be good though.

Joey - I'm surprised that the OS has more torque. I would expect the larger displacement to sway that in the Picco's favor.
I'm not surprised that the OS is snappier on the throttle though.
Some simple mods to the Picco can take care of that. The Picco's crankshaft is pretty crude.

RAK12 - Either engine is a good choice. I'd choose the Picco since it's essentially an engine that I already run in my Savage - and I've had good experiences with it.

Oh I know you can mod the Picco and make it a little monster. But I was suprised too...or maybe because the OS is faster on the throttle it seems to have more torque? But either way I settled on the Picco and I have to try NOT to do a wheelie. I am putting a P3 in my Savage in re-build. Really good engines.

I had a Picco in my Revo and loved it.

Well that settles it Picco it is. It's cheaper and I know that it should have plenty of power and torque. Out of the box the 3.3 was impressive but with the added weight and also a few gallons ran through it , its becoming somewhat unimpressive ( I'm probably just so accustomed to the 3.3 now that it's lost it's WOW factor) Anyway I think I'll go with the picco and use the 3.3 for a winter/cold weather motor so as not to stress the Picco. The videos of tmaxxs in the snow is too much to resist1 I've got to try it. Maybe some spiked tires or chains..... we'll see what my happens.