Os.21tm in tmaxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holdens09

RC Newbie
Reaction score
This os.21 tm in my tmaxx keep running around 310. If i turn the high speed down by 1/8 lt get sluggish. Any suggestions

This os.21 tm in my tmaxx keep running around 310. If i turn the high speed down by 1/8 lt get sluggish. Any suggestions

When you say turning it "down", I assume you mean richer? I'm just asking because the wording implies you might be turning it even leaner, which could cause it to lose power from lack of fuel and explains the overtemp issue. Make sure you're turning it counter-clockwise, which actually brings the needle "up" slightly, to let more fuel in. This will help the engine run cooler.

What type of nitro are you running. In that OS engine? And if your turning the needle in/down then your maken it leaner. Witch would explain the high temp. And at 310° your going to destroy the piston and sleeve in no time. Or it will just seize/lock up..

Should be running around 240°-260° Anything over 270. Your just cooking your engine bud. Counter clockwise is richer and clockwise is Leaner. Same as right tighty and lefty losey. Tighter is less and loosen is more.

What type of nitro are you running. In that OS engine? And if your turning the needle in/down then your maken it leaner. Witch would explain the high temp. And at 310° your going to destroy the piston and sleeve in no time. Or it will just seize/lock up..

Should be running around 240°-260° Anything over 270. Your just cooking your engine bud. Counter clockwise is richer and clockwise is Leaner. Same as right tighty and lefty losey. Tighter is less and loosen is more.
I’m using vp racing 30%. What i was trying to say is when i make it richer by 1/8 turn is gets sluggish.
When you say turning it "down", I assume you mean richer? I'm just asking because the wording implies you might be turning it even leaner, which could cause it to lose power from lack of fuel and explains the overtemp issue. Make sure you're turning it counter-clockwise, which actually brings the needle "up" slightly, to let more fuel in. This will help the engine run cooler.
What i was trying to say is when i make it richer by 1/8 turn is gets sluggish.

Your way to rich at that point then. Is this a new engine? Or it's has been broken in
If your riching it then the motor relaly shouldnt get that hot bud. Are you sure your riching and not leaning it out by chance/mistake??

And what fuel was used to break it in? Have you switched fuels lately by chance, or running a different fuel before this VP 30%? Do you know the oil % of that fuel.
I would reset the engine back to factory settings. And start over definitely don't want yo blow the cook the engine
I’m using vp racing 30%. What i was trying to say is when i make it richer by 1/8 turn is gets sluggish.

What i was trying to say is when i make it richer by 1/8 turn is gets sluggish.
Are you running the racing fuel with 9% oil. That also could be the issue. Not enough oil in the fuel for heavier trucks. Nitro fuel with 9% oil is more for racing buggies and truggys. For bashing you really want fuel with a 10-12% oil. The lower the oil the hotter the engine will run especially being a heavy Tmaxx..

Last edited:
Your way to rich at that point then. Is this a new engine? Or it's has been broken in
If your riching it then the motor relaly shouldnt get that hot bud. Are you sure your riching and not leaning it out by chance/mistake??

And what fuel was used to break it in? Have you switched fuels lately by chance, or running a different fuel before this VP 30%? Do you know the oil % of that fuel.
I would reset the engine back to factory settings. And start over definitely don't want yo blow the cook the engine

Are you running the racing fuel with 9% oil. That also could be the issue. Not enough oil in the fuel for heavier trucks. Nitro fuel with 9% oil is more for racing buggies and truggys. For bashing you really want fuel with a 10-12% oil. The lower the oil the hotter the engine will run especially being a heavy Tmaxx..
It’s the 9%

It’s the 9%
Is this the first time your running this fuel in the engine and truck..
The lower oil percentage could be your issue. Not enough lubricant in the fuel for the RC and engine type to be honest

Is this the first time your running this fuel in the engine and truck..
The lower oil percentage could be your issue. Not enough lubricant in the fuel for the RC and engine type to be honest
Yes going to order a 20/12 fuel for it

Yes going to order a 20/12 fuel for it
Nitro's are tricky and very sensitive. Especially with out side temps. With everything from weather temp humidity elevation air temp. They can be a big pain in the as*. But once you got it tuned. Othimg beats the smell and sound of a nitro engine that's for sure

Nitro's are tricky and very sensitive. Especially with out side temps. With everything from weather temp humidity elevation air temp. They can be a big pain in the as*. But once you got it tuned. Othimg beats the smell and sound of a nitro engine that's for sure
Will the 20% nitro and 12% oil be good for that motor

Will the 20% nitro and 12% oil be good for that motor
Yes that will be better for that engine in that truck. And will help prolong the engine if well maintained... happy bashing bud 👍👍

It is getting hot ,I better turn the fuel down!..:hehe::hehe::hehe:
If the Tmaxx is older than the engine ,much older ,one should better make sure that the fuel
tank & fuel lines are good an the tank keeps its pressure!
If the engine runs unstable an seems to run hot no matter the what the needle
settings are ,then you have an air leak some where or the O-rings on the needles
are bad!
A rule of thumb is to make sure that the fuel system is good starting with the fuel
tank an make sure that it holds pressure an any fuel filter is not clogged or restricted!
Always make sure that the carb needles O-rings are good an not leaking ,a sign of
that would be any bubbling or if they turn too easy!..:thumbs-up::cool:

Last edited:
It is getting hot ,I better turn the fuel down!..:hehe::hehe::hehe:
If the Tmaxx is older than the engine ,much older ,one should better make sure that the fuel
tank & fuel lines are good an the tank keeps its pressure!
If the engine runs unstable an seems to run hot no matter the what the needle
settings are ,then you have an air leak some where or the O-rings on the needles
are bad!
A rule of thumb is to make sure that the fuel system is good starting with the fuel
tank an make sure that it holds pressure an any fuel filter is not clogged or restricted!
Always make sure that the carb needles O-rings are good an not leaking ,a sign of
that would be any bubbling or if they turn too easy!..:thumbs-up::cool:
Hello bud hope all is well man. You definitely broke it down for him.. nicely done sir. Also how's the kyosho doing??

Hello bud hope all is well man. You definitely broke it down for him.. nicely done sir. Also how's the kyosho doing??

Doing great ,that last Kyo run is a fine example on bad O-rings on a needle does ,not
only that ,my friend has gotten new top quality racing engines from the factory
with bad carb O-rings!
I also forgot to mention ,that it takes awhile on high end engines to drop its nuts
on break-ins ,they tend to be touchy an may run hot due to their tighter tolerances
of the pinch!

Been too hot to mess with RC's unless I get up early in the morning ,but
I am not an early bird these days!..:hehe:😎

Doing great ,that last Kyo run is a fine example on bad O-rings on a needle does ,not
only that ,my friend has gotten new top quality racing engines from the factory
with bad carb O-rings!
I also forgot to mention ,that it takes awhile on high end engines to drop its nuts
on break-ins ,they tend to be touchy an may run hot due to their tighter tolerances
of the pinch!

Been too hot to mess with RC's unless I get up early in the morning ,but
I am not an early bird these days!..:hehe:😎
Oh yeah those race engines. Are way tight. And definitely run hotter. And not every thing from a factory production line comes out perfect..

And I'm sure you neighbors are glad your not a morning person haha. Glad everything is good. And all is well bud. Stay safe in the crazy heat you guys have been haven. Happy bashing bud. And Keep that nitro burning.... 👍👍