OS 18TM Bearing Removal

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lextek

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What's the best way to remove the rear bearing in the 18TM. I want to replace it with a Bocca to get rid of my "rattle".

Since no one has responded, i would say to heat it in the oven is the best (if not only) way to do it. Heat the oven to 300 degrees put the engine in on a baking sheet. Leave it in there for a half hour or more. Be sure to use oven mitts for handling the engine case, unless you dont have feeling in your hands any more. I have never done this, but i have heard of it done... Use the search feature, and you will come up with better directions than i can provide you with...

Personally, I use a good heat gun (after taking EVERYTHING, even the carb retainer nut thing) out of the engine. Flush out all fuel, and heat it up as hot as you can get it... After that, a couple raps on the desk, and out she comes!

Bearing installation is practically the same, only putting in instead of taking out.

I have used a torch to heat the case around the bearing and it will pop right out. You have to be very careful if you do this and only heat it for a few seconds and keep the flame moving around the bearing part of the case. Too much heat in one spot can damage the case. after about 10 seconds of heat the bearing should fall right out or push out easily.

I don't know about the oven idea, it would seem the the bearing would swell along with the case from that amount of heat. The trick is to heat the case w/o heating the bearing very much. Steel and aluminum will expand at different rates but 30 minutes of heat will be enough to expand everything. I would go with the Heat gun, propain torch, or even a candle will work.

jkoch said:
Hey lextek, check out this site. Unfortunately it's not the bearing that rattles on the .18 tz/tm motors but the rod hitting the backplate. This company makes a spacer to fix the problem.

http://www.rdracingproducts.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?f4.html
Actually I have installed the RD shim for the piston pin. It was the rear bearing. I used the toaster oven at about 350 for 10 minutes. It popped out with a slight tap. I had a Traxxas 2.5R rear bearing in the freezer. It dropped right in. The motor has never run better! And no rattle.

lextek said:
Actually I have installed the RD shim for the piston pin. It was the rear bearing. I used the toaster oven at about 350 for 10 minutes. It popped out with a slight tap. I had a Traxxas 2.5R rear bearing in the freezer. It dropped right in. The motor has never run better! And no rattle.

Oh ok, I wasn't sure if you heard of that problem yet.