Opion's needed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space74

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My knowledge of nitro cars is pretty limited. I'm looking for something entry level for now. I'm leaning toward a truck vs a buggy.

I plan to just ride around and jump stuff and maybe race a bit with some friends.

I kind of like the look of 1/10 Volcano STX, SV, and SV PRO . Anyone have one and more importantly..........are they any good?

Thanks

If you're wanting something that can race around and do some jumping, you may want to save up the money and get a Revo. It's a very durable truck, and has TONS of aftermarket support. Not to mention, just about every hobby shop carries parts for it.

If you don't like the looks of the Revo, then perhaps take a look at an HPI Savage? It has a 3 speed transmission upgrade that's available, and you can fit a .30 sized engine into it with no mods at all.

They're both about the same price range. Either one of those two should put a smile on your face a mile wide, and take whatever you can dish out to it.

plus 1 for the revo , it put a big smile on my face:yes:

revo or a savage are great trucks to get into rc. the savage is a better basher in my opinion and the revo is more of a race truck. both are very good at both things though.

i say that the revo is an awesome basher , you havent seen the beetings i have giving mine , i keep one for racing and one for bashing, and teh basher is holding up pretty well. only causalties are spur gears, might be my fault

While I agree with everyone.. Revo or Savage, (both great) I almost want to suggest a entry level 1/8 buggy.. while I love a good monster truck bash.. nothing beats a buggy when it comes to jumping and durability. You can really abuse a buggy (especially for a beginner) and have a blast with very little Maintenance. (something like a hot bodies or cen)

Another suggestion.. as a beginner.. why not go electric? The new traxxas brushless stuff if FAST and you don't have to worry about tuning a nitro engine.
Just my 2 cents...

I just started in nitor rc about 4 months ago and have been VERY happy bashing with my LST2. I do have to admit not nearly as many stores carry Losi parts in stock, but it has proved to be nearly bulletproof and a great learning platform. :2cents:

+1 for Brians Advice....he is dead on in his line of thinking. Nice Brushless or durable buggy. I like Hyper 7s or 8s myself, but that is pure preference...its the durablity and ease of use your after with that first rig...and I have found that an 1/8 scale buggy is very simple to set up and maintain...my kids drive and wrench them.

Nitro hovever, can be frustrating at times...and the learning curve in the beginning can make it not as "fun" some days..... with electric you are just waitnig for the next pack to charge..;)

Whatever you do get it at a Local Hobby Shop where they will have support and advice....and most importantly PARTS!!

If you want to stay at a reasonably priced 1/10 scale truck for just bashing around (not racing), the Hpi nitro mt2 is very good, I hear. I had a first generation nitro mt and it was pretty fun and somewhat durable

I like the MT2, it has been a good truck for me. Check out the .18 version, pretty quick little truck that should hold your interest. Best bet is to check out what your LHS has to offer, and see what parts they carry for it. Good luck shopping.

i have owned most of the above mentioned rigs, the savage is just plain tough, but doesn't handle so well. the revo is tough to, and with a few key upgrades ( arms etc) it can be very very durable, but handles alot better then the savage. I've also has a hyper 7 pcr and i was very pleased with it. the parts are build beefy and it handled and flew nicely, but the ground clearance made it where i couldnt go "anywere" like the savage and revo. the stadium truck IMO isnt build to bash, its built to race. there mostly 2wheel drive, (besides the mt2 ) very light, and handle nicely. but the rear wheel drive makes for an interesting driving experience, and again ground clearance is an issue.

it all really depends on where your going to be running, construction areas, yard, dirt pile, park, etc.. savage or revo. track, revo, buggy, or stadium truck.

i actually have both a savage and a near bulletproof rc10gt up for sale on here. both are in excelent condition and the savage is practicaly new with a brand new os .30 engine and tons of upgrades.

Boy that savage sure is getting a lot of votes....Man if you could only find someone selling an almost new one for cheap you'd be in heaven...HMMMMM I wonder who could be selling one on this forum......

shameless plug number 8...oh yeah...

ha beat you to it fishy, i got one for sale to... :D

I have driven quite a range of offroad Nitro's. ST, MT and 1/8 Buggies and now Truggies. I do not k now what your true budget is so that may become a factor.

Either Electric or Nitro will pretty much come close to being the same in costs.. Your driving skill will really determine how much you spend on them. I prefer the smell of nitro and the sound... go figure. Nitro can be cumbersome if you have not honed in on your tuning skills. The advantage I find with nitro is once you are running.. just re-fill your tank and keep going. Yes other variables come in to play but on a "good day" I have ran over an hour with my Brother in law. Electrics require multiple batteries.

Not bashing electric rides... just no interest in them.

Beason and Plaidfish.... take it to PM's please

ha beat you to it fishy, i got one for sale to... :D

You diertay rat.....friggin sniper poster.....LOL....yeah but mines cheaper...nyaaa nyaaaa....

I'm just jokin w// Beason.....his Savage has a lot of upgrades that make it even more basher friendly adn able to take abuse.......mine is more of the stock RTR version....any way you go in this hobby you'll be dropping dough so get used to opening up your wallet and carrying vasoline with you to the Hobby shops......

the rigs I've seen do well with beginers are the savage, RC10 GT, Hyper buggy, Monster GT, and most major manufacturer's electrics.......

We aren't really pushing anything on you but there are alot of very trustworthy people here that can save you a ton of cash if you are just getting started......E-bay is a hit and miss prospect that I don't personally recommend until you have more experience with these things.....

good luck with whatever you choose man it's all fun in the long run.....

Back