OMG, I will have my REVO today!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well of to the track to jump the poop out of it!

Well back from the track. Just to let you know this is a RC track on the inside of a motocross track (where I jump my 50cc but that is another story).

Anyways I changed the plug first thing. I figure a glow plug does it's job if it lasts through break in, then I just retire it and I am on to a fresh MC 59. I spent a minute warming it up and, then tuned it for about 10 minutes. I was lean on my low end so I richened it more than a half turn, then upped the idle to compensate for the change. It seemed to like it and ran like a top and didn't flame out. Seems I am past the hard stuff and the engine is properly tuned.

So I am testing out the suspension and on uneven ground I have to say it is in a class by itself. Then I starting skying it off some of the big moto cross doubles launcing from one side to the other. Very nice flight, very nice COG. After 4 tanks I finally canned it hard enough to break something. It lasted through a lot of torture and the crash it broke on no one was surprised. All in all the damage took 5 minutes to repair and I happen to have another part that would fit from my spares.

damage1.jpg

Last edited:
Any bottoming out on a hard landing? Hows is it in tight turns at speed, stable?
The more I look at those Revo's, the more interested I become.... :devious:

ImBroken said:
Any bottoming out on a hard landing? Hows is it in tight turns at speed, stable?
The more I look at those Revo's, the more interested I become.... :devious:

Hard landings it just seem to laugh at, I would say I did not bottom it out once. And if you happen to there is a blue stopper (seen in pic above) to save your shocks. Handles like no other I must say, it turns sharply. It can flip at stock settings but it is traction roll very similar to a buggy. There are a few minir issues I initially don't like on the truck but they are of a more personal nature. Like I could do without the reverse, and extra wiring (optishift) and the EZ-Start. Other than that it seems to be all that and a bag of chips imo. NOTHING LIKE A T-MAXX! :cheers: :smoke:

HumboldtBlazer said:
Hard landings it just seem to laugh at, I would say I did not bottom it out once. And if you happen to there is a blue stopper (seen in pic above) to save your shocks. Handles like no other I must say, it turns sharply. It can flip at stock settings but it is traction roll very similar to a buggy. There are a few minir issues I initially don't like on the truck but they are of a more personal nature. Like I could do without the reverse, and extra wiring (optishift) and the EZ-Start. Other than that it seems to be all that and a bag of chips imo. NOTHING LIKE A T-MAXX! :cheers: :smoke:

I actually like the reverse on the revo. On the t-maxx it sucked. It was super heavy, made the truck hesitate, and it didn't work. I am impressed with the reverse in the revo. It doesn't stutter, because of optidrive, it isn't as heavy, plus it actually works. I was having so much fun doing wot runs in reverse and then losing it :hammer:

thedominator said:
I actually like the reverse on the revo. On the t-maxx it sucked. It was super heavy, made the truck hesitate, and it didn't work. I am impressed with the reverse in the revo. It doesn't stutter, because of optidrive, it isn't as heavy, plus it actually works. I was having so much fun doing wot runs in reverse and then losing it :hammer:

I agree the reverse is better for all those reasons you mentioned but I still could do without it and the optidrive.

I just found out @ the Traxxas board the the shock ends have been updated on the new models and mine was a known issue from the first run. Yeah. Anyways was cheapt to break and easy to fix.

If they can fit in the end of that funny tool that was included they are from the first batch. If the can't do to the ridge on the outside than the are the new ones.

you better go get top advise from holewrecker he will keep you inline and with the knowledge he has you might wanna get his cell number!!! nice truck...i wish i had more time i would buy one too,just bought a new ford windstar van!!

Nice shock end i just did that to mine yesterday also!!!

hb1111 said:
you better go get top advise from holewrecker he will keep you inline and with the knowledge he has you might wanna get his cell number!!!

His Cell number? What prison is he in this time? I didn't know you could be sentenced for being an 'all knowing Dork'. Finally....justice prevails.

Called Traxxas tech support this morning. Took all of 5 minutes from start to finish to get a new improved set of shock ends sent out to me. I see there tech support is still top notch. I ran the thing almost all Sunday with the old lady (she actually drove the snot out of the truck) and popped to more shock ends (the same one I replaced). So I can tell before I take any more real huge jumps I will need to replace them. The part only broke when I would take a huge jump and land wickedly wrong. All in all I rather have a cheap little pastic part break than something expensive. We will see how the new ones hold up to my abuse. All in all so far I have to say the REVO is a LOT of fun. The engine seems to be running great and holding a tune nicely. After mega gruling runs it is a little hot so I had to richen it a tad more on the bottom.

Well when I got home from work yesterday I ran my REVO until it got dark (about 6 tanks). Nothing broke but I was driving it on the street so no huge jumps for insane air. I was curb grinding for over 30 ft! I just love this suspension, it eats curbs for dinner. Then engine is starting to get really fast and I dialed the tune in just a little more. I am still running it pretty fat to keep temps down but performance is all there.

With this truck I feel like Traxxas has paid me back for all the money I dumped into my T-Maxx 2.5. What a really complete package this truck is. It has so many "detail touches" I just cannot get over that all was included stock. So far it seems this truck will save you from the endless hop-up money pit when trying to get your truck to perform decent and actually stay together. I just get run-time out of this truck so it really lets me enjoy the driving part of this hobby. To be clear I am trying to be very hard on the vehicle to really test it’s limits. I had quite the crowd last night and needless to say I think there will be a few more REVO's in my neighborhood real soon!

More testing to come for sure, but after owning this truck for a week know, I am more than pleased. I am slowly putting together my review, and after I receive the HCR parts I will finally post it as I want a full review of it stock, and with the added parts as to weigh the pro's and con's in one review.

Ran it again today for a few tanks. I flipped the crap out of it, and jumped it on concrete, nothing broken. Sorry no carange.........

That's what I said about a guy at the track who beats it to death. It keeps coming back for more. The suspension is the best I've ever seen. I think Traxxas hit a bull's eye with this one.
Enjoy it, HB.

damn man.........I'm jealous

:horsecrap

Well I called Traxxas Monday morning about the shock ends. I just got home and then replacements were in my mail box! That was very quick. Thanks Traxxass.

Installed my new improved shock ends. The Traxxas rep on the phone wouldn't admit when I asked if they were thicker. I specifically asked him are they the new ones that have a ridge around the outside so they son't fit in that funny tool that is included. He said no, he said they are exactly the same. The first ones just got made out of the wrong material. Well they sure are bigger and have a ridge around the outside. Ohh well, at least they are better.

While I was at it I changed the rocker arms and springs. Stock you have 90mm travel rocker arms. I installed the optional but included 120mm rocker arms. The stock front springs are 16.6lbs and the rear are 20.lb. I installed the optional but included 28.0lb front and 33.7lb rear sprinds. Now I am going to see how this bad boy jumps!

I went ahead and put the stiffer springs on the 90mm rockers and it handles great. Took a lot of the roll out of it and i was able to lower it more without bottoming out.

Last edited:
Well after a few tanks with the 120mm rockers and stiffer springs I am sold. If I thought they ate curbs before, I was in for a surprise as they inalated the curbs, bumps, and jumps on concrete. I was jump 5ft+ high and at least 10ft long. I was fliping in the air and landing upsidedown. Once I even slide for a good 25ft+ on my lid. Not one part broken. The new shock ends proved themself as I beat the poop out of the truck today. All in all it is good fun. I get a ton of run time with no broken parts. It handles well, doesn't flame out, and handles abuse like a step child. Here are some pics of the use so far. Keep in mind I like to jump and curb grind.

newends1.jpg

newends2.jpg

newends3.jpg

newends4.jpg

newends5.jpg

newends6.jpg

newends7.jpg

newends8.jpg

newends9.jpg

Last edited:
Niiiice! I'm jealous of you! I had to peel myself away from the LHS today, becuase I almost whipped out my BofA card and walked away with a revo. I currently have a XXX-NT, that i -finally- finished (after having built the rolling chassi and letting it collect dust for the last two years), just dumped ~ $300 in Electronics, and accessories to get it completed. Been debating on an LST or Revo, but daaammmn that Revo is becoming more and more attractive. :) Did you upgrade your electronics at all? Or are you runnin the traxxas system? If so, What did you upgrade to? I'm very likely to be buying a revo ... soon, and possibly letting go of my NT.

Back