ok finaly got it tuned

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3gsweet

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
well after a month of taking it back and forth to the place i got it from with no avail. i toke it over to another hobbie store i shop in and friends with some of the guys in there. thay got it tuned and running great in ten minits .any way it runs great but kind of slow for about half a tank and than it sceems to warm up or something and than it flys .what can i agust to get it to fly from start, or is that just the way the truck is ?i am running 20%nitro in it now if thats any help should i go higher like 30% or is a adjust ment i need to make?:eyepatch:

Then the truck isn't actually tuned/dialed in quite right. It is too rich. The phenomena you are witnessing is the self leaning nature of this fuel delivery system.

I would be willing to bet that they have it set too rich. As the fuel level gets past the half-way point in the tank, the engine starts to run lean. That is why you are seeing a sluggish truck for the first half of the tank and a speed demon after the half-way mark. I would suggest leaning it out just a hair or two (with a full tank) and see what happens.

Make sure you do not go too lean, as the self leaning nature of the fuel system might end up killing your engine as you start running low on fuel.

thank you so much....... trust me after 12 blisters now that i just see it running is a fantastik fealling!!!!!!! i will lean it out a little tomarow and see what happends i am sure you are right

Happy to help. Let us know how things go.

i will trust me and again thanks for all the help.and to every one that was trying to help me from the beginning

well did what you sayed and leand it out some. i think i leand it out a little to much cause i bured out the spark plug does that sound right? i turned it back to the rich side not as much as it was but in the middle hope that was the problem can't afford to buy spark plugs every day a little on the expencive side lol

Only buy O.S. brand plugs! I bought Mccoy plugs and they burned out within a week! I just wanted to try a colder plug so that's why I went with McCoy because they are cheaper but not worth it!!! I have O.S. plugs and not a single one has burned out on me after 3 years in the hobby! They're a bit more expensive but not that much when you consider the difference. Here's a tip for you: Don't mess with the middle adjustment, the one that is farthest from the fuel tank and on the side of the carb. For the idle and punch off of the line when accelerating adjust the low end needle, the one closest to the fuel tank. For top end adjust the high needle that sticks up out of the top of the carb. If the middle needle has been adjusted at all, reset it to 3 and a half turns out from the closed position. And it is important to make sure that a good amount of smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipe when you accelerate, this will make your engine last a very long time. Lubrication is key to engine life, and for just bashing and playing around with your truck I recommend 18% oil content in the fuel. A new exhaust pipe gives that engine a lot more power if you're not impressed with its power straight out of the box. The stock engine puts out an O.K. amount of power with a better pipe, but that engine is not the most powerful thing in the world. Don't get me wrong it is good quality but not powerful. The Hyper 8-port is a great replacement enigne for the Savage and only cost $120.00 if you're rich.

Originally posted by nitropower
Only buy O.S. brand plugs!

I think that is a little unfair to say that. I am not putting O.S. down but they are not the only plugs out there.

I have used McCoy plugs, Traxxas plugs and others with great success.

A plugs life is not determined by the manufacturer, it is a toss up wether or not you will get a good one.

A plug may last a day, week, month or forever, doesn't matter who makes it.

just my opinion :classic:

Like NCNitro and FLATTOP alluded to, the causes for burnt spark plugs are numerous and not always obvious. I would guess that you just got the typical abused plug. The first plug you use in an engine (the one you break it in with) usually dies pretty quickly. The break in period for any engine is pretty hard on the plug.

I have used McCoy plugs and some OS plugs and did not see any noticeable differences between the two brands. They both got my engine running and they both lasted about the same amount of time between replacement.

As I do not have a Savage (YET!), I will refer you to NCNitro's preply above for the needle settings. Just remember that anything you do with the engine is heavily dependent on the environment around you. These engines were built and designed to run under certain conditions (we'll call them favorable conditions...low humidity, mid range outside air temperatures, relatively close to sea-level for outside air pressure, proper fuel and lubricants, etc.) and if you take it outside those favorable conditions, you can expect it to be diffiult and require some tweaking to get it running.

Hope this helps. Seeya

O.S plugs are considered the most reliable plugs by most experienced R/Cer's, however that obviously is still an opinion! I have never experienced a plug burning out so fast as the McCoy plug did, perhaps it was a defective plug, but I didn't do anything unusual to it, it just broke in the middle of the coil for no apparent reason, and O.S. plugs have never ever done such a thing to me. I'm not going to say that McCoy doesn't make good plugs, but I now have to question thier reliability and quality compared to O.S. Other plugs like Traxxas plugs may be better than O.S. plugs for all I know, but I have not had people refer me to use those plugs as a better alternative to O.S. plugs. I personally have had great success with O.S. plugs and not so great success with different plugs such as the stock plug in a Durtrax RTR. It burned out quickly as well. Every plug is not made with the same materials and quality, just because they use some platinium in every plug does not mean they are the same alloy or grade. There are quality factors that must be considered to determine how good a plug is going to be.

Well I know most think that Durratrax products are trash but I really do like their plugs. They work great on my .12 and .15 mills. For the big blocks I run O.S. plugs.

Its all in what performs good for you.

Try em.

-Chris

I use a McCoy MC-59, it's only the second plug I have put in counting break in, so I really can't compare it to anything else except the original, and that one I popped while first designing my starter. Seems to me that if you get one with a good coil, they last along time. I have almost 1-1/2 gallons through my 2.5.

Back