Newbie Transmission Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclop3000

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm opening up my Savage transmission tonight, to clean it out after a very long time not using it. I'm looking into my Savage book and everywhere (example diffs) where it needs grease it's mentioned...but not in the transmission. Is this normal, do I need to put grease on my gears in the transmission or not?

Sorry for the noob question, but I've never opened up the transmission casing before.

Thanks.

No grease per the manual. I ran all of mine for years without grease.
I am testing Motorcycle chain wax in my Savage tranny right now. So far it' has caused no problems.

Oh ok thanks Scrogg, just wanted to make sure there wasn't an error in the manual or something :)

No grease per the manual. I ran all of mine for years without grease.
I am testing Motorcycle chain wax in my Savage tranny right now. So far it' has caused no problems.

I used bicycle chain wax, probably the same stuff. "White Lightning". Grease has a tendency to get on your OWB in the two speed and make it slip. The "wax" based stuff stays on the gears pretty well once it dries.

Why do you guys want to use wax? I've used my Savage quite a bit back in the time and never had a problem with the stock gears. What does the wax do?

Don't know... just habit for me I guess. I use the stuff on my cvd joints, ball ends, diff ring/pinion, trans and spur gears. I figure regardless if it needs it, less wear and friction is better. Unless it's the brakes, slipper or clutch shoes. ;)

Open up your tranny and you'll see why.
Revos and Savages from my experience slowly shred their gears overtime. The Chain Wax definitely slowed the wear process in my Revo, so I figured I'd give it a shot in the Savvy.
I totally agree with olds, as usual...:thumbup:

Alright thanks for the info :)

Well something weird in my transmission...on 6 internal bearings, I only had 5 :whhooo:

Anybody ever had that problem before? The truck always ran nice, with proper shifting...just bizzare that it would work properly anyways. It's missing the bearing on one side of the center shaft.

You guys think I should go out and buy a bearing or should I just put it back together as it was?

Alright thanks for the info :)

Well something weird in my transmission...on 6 internal bearings, I only had 5 :whhooo:

Anybody ever had that problem before? The truck always ran nice, with proper shifting...just bizzare that it would work properly anyways. It's missing the bearing on one side of the center shaft.

You guys think I should go out and buy a bearing or should I just put it back together as it was?

This happened to me, but I guess it was because I bought it used.

I replaced all the bearings on my Savage with bearings from FastEddy, and everything is smooth.

I would buy a bearing... probably two. The strain put on the one that is on the shaft may have weakened it.

Yeah I went out and bought a pack of two...everything is put back together now and it all seems ok. We'll see first time I run it in the spring eh!

Back