newb to savage, need some help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a T-Maxx that I've been building, and I just recently got back into RC's a few months ago. About three or four years ago, had a T-Maxx and a Savage. I bought the T-Maxx SS kit but when I bought the kit I was really wanting something to bash and I had never built a truck so I didn't know how long it would take so I bought a T-Maxx at the same time to learn on while I built the savage. Well I finished the savage but sold it before I ever put any fuel in it and got out of RC's until about 2 months ago when I got a T-Maxx I've been building it since I got it.

Anyway, I have decided that instead of putting a big block in the maxx, I would keep a small block in it so as to not over-power the truck and build a savage that would really hold up to the big block power.

I'm wondering how the savage drivetrain holds up to the power of the big block. I know with every truck there's a small list of parts that is always good to get as soon as possible, and I'm wondering what the weak links in the savage are. For example, I knew when I got the Maxx that I needed to put on a set of RPM A-Arms and some nice shocks. How do the diffs, axles, tranny, hold up in the savage? What parts would you reccomend that I upgrade first?? I'm going to be getting the Savage X SS kit.

There are really no parts on the savage that need to be upgraded. I would recommend the following fixes/tweaks:

1. Shim the differentials.
2. Put a good silicone oil in the diffs. instead of just grease.

I have beat my savage pretty hard and the only broken items were due to driver error, not poor product quality. Some people will tell you that you need a steel spur gear, but that is bunk. As long as your spur to clutch bell mesh is properly set and checked from time to time your spur will not strip.

Another good fix/tweak is the Ofna throttle/brake mod. Again, not necessary, but does greatly enhance brake and throttle feel and performance.

Alright great, thanks for your help, it helped a lot! I like plastic spurs whenever possible because it acts as a protection barrier and prevents breakage of parts that are more expensive and harder to change.

I totally agree with keeping the plastic spur. I've always done that just to have a 'weak' point in the drive train. It's a lot easier, less expensive and a lot less time consuming to replace a spur on the outside than it is to change gears on the inside.

Most importantly, you'll need to add a lot of really shiny stuff.

I totally agree with keeping the plastic spur. I've always done that just to have a 'weak' point in the drive train. It's a lot easier, less expensive and a lot less time consuming to replace a spur on the outside than it is to change gears on the inside.

Most importantly, you'll need to add a lot of really shiny stuff.

Ya!! Shiny stuff is cool looking eh Rolex...just look at your truck:bow:

Ya!! Shiny stuff is cool looking eh Rolex...just look at your truck:bow:

Hey! YOU started it! If I didn't see the pics of yours, I would already have several gallons through mine with only tire replacements.

Just think, I could have enjoyed it.:celebrate:

Hey! YOU started it! If I didn't see the pics of yours, I would already have several gallons through mine with only tire replacements.

Yea you might have enjoyed it, but now you get to go to bed every night (well on the nights when your not up all night workin on the truck) with a huge head because everyone bows down to you and drools and your truck, then you eventually started to think you were above everyone else, and now you consider everyone else in the world to be mere peons compared to the almighty rolex and his savage. Now I think that trumps all enjoyment gained from a few days of bashing! :bow:

Hey Rolex...will you be my valentine?...PLEASE!!!

The only drive train components in a savage that I needed to have on hand were a spare set or two of center axles and tranny side axle cups.... and a spare spur. My first spur lasted me 14 gallons. It was still usable after that, but I put in a bigger engine and geared it a few teeth taller.

The old savage had weak two spider gear diffs with internal plastic cups. New savages come with 4 spider diffs and alloy diff cups. Two upgrades many bashers did and had good results with.

I hated the stock turnbuckles, but again, it was an old savage 21. You had to detach one end to adjust them. I replaced them with lunsford that I bought off sky-maxx a few weeks after buying the roller off sky-maxx.

Other than that, the trans held up well, the spur held up well, outer axles did well, axle bearings lasted a long time, I never broke an arm... I busted an engine mount and plate or two...

Now that I think about it... that was one tough truck! lol

I really like what I'm hearing. I've been thinking about eventually a kit for a while because I really like building them just as much or maybe more than the wheel-time. So as I was getting ready to order a lot of parts for a big block conversion and thinking of all the problems I would be facing after spending that much money, plus what I've spent, I would much rather spend less and have a better truck, which is where the savage comes in. There are so many more engine options for the savage as well from what I can see.

I have to say though... after getting my aftershock, I sold my revo and savage shortly thereafter... I sold the revo with a smile... but the savage, brought a tear to my eye (almost). We had been through many a mud hole, skate park and ramp together... at least it went to a good home.

how does the aftershock compare with the savage?

Needs upgrades, but it's pretty tough in my opinion.

I had upgraded the savage I had pretty good because I wanted it to be able to handle big air, jump after jump after jump... I got some delrin shock towers from Skip (twisted something) that allowed the use of rear buggy shocks, so I ran 8 brand new OFNA 9.5 shocks on it... wouldn't bottom out off a 10 foot jump. A bit stiff though.

Anyway, with a few upgrades, the AS can take a heck of a beating as well and is also a BB truck. A lot of the stuff I upgraded, I would have also done on an LST2, so spending the extra dough on an LST2 wasn't cost effective for me.

RPM arms w/lunsford upper arm turnbuckles (would have done on a LST2)
Lunsford tie-rods on all 4 corners (would have done on a LST2)

The short list:
LST2 2 speed
LST2 shocks
LST2 fuel tank
Roll bar (would have done on a LST2)
CF brake disk w/High torque t/b servo (would have done on a LST2)
Exhaust (I run a HPI polished savage pipe) (would have done on a LST2)
dynamite engine brace (would have done on a LST2)

The LST2 two speed isn't necessary with the stock engine. I ran 4 gallons through it without an issue. Then I installed an LRP28... it made short work of the stock two speed on the 3rd tank of break-in.

I also have other odds and ends that make it more durable, but pound for pound, it's taken everything I've thrown it through, over, on and asks for seconds.

I was looking into getting an aftershock, but I think I've decided on the savage because I want to do a frame up build instead of a RTR, and there seems to be more aftermarket support for the savage from what I've seen. I'm sure I will have an aftershock soon though, I like everything I've heard and seen about them so far.

I know the savage is a lot heavier than the T-Maxx because it's a bigger truck. The savage has a huge motor in comparison, but how does the savage feel? Does it feel a lot more powerful than the T-Maxx 2.5 when you're driving it?

Apparently (From what I've heard) the Savage has some good low end grunt due to the big block. I broke one in for a guy a couple of years ago and was truly amazed how well it took off, for a truck that heavy, and the speed it reached with the tires ballooned out. It was the Truckzilla conversion, so I think it was either the 4.1 or the 4.6.
After my break-in I'll be adding the 3 speed which will give it some wheel standing low end, plus increase it's top speed.

Hey Rolex...will you be my valentine?...PLEASE!!!
LMAO....Sorry, man. Can't do it. I only celebrate Ground Hog day.

Last edited:
Well all kidding about Valentines day aside, I am the prpoud owner of a brand new savage. I checked carfax.com and everything seems to be in the clear. No major flood damage, no serious accidents, no liens on the title, time to start modifying!!

Congrats Charlie, send some pics when you get it built.

haha well you gotta be careful these days. When Katrina happened, a lot of RC's that were on RC lots in New RC-leans were under water for days. So the RC salesman try to pull an RC fast one and try to sell some RC crap.

Hey Charles are you going to stick with the the stock engine? If not the LRP Z.28 is an animal in a Savage with the 3-speed. However I would recommend getting MIP CVDs for the center, I twisted two stock dogbones out in a week...
And Rolex....."ART" is not something to take out and play with right?

Back