????? new to nitro and t-maxx???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedimast5

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
wow my first rc post.anyways
i have been out the game for awhile but not new to it. back in 96 i use to race electric stadium trucks in the amateur circut here in socal. i use to race a traxxas blue eagle. in 99 i crashed my truck head on with another truck that lost control going the wrong way on the track. since i was a teenager and broke, i quit. That was around the time the tmaxx came out and i always wanted one. but couldnt afford so i started a new hobby PAINTBALL. been doing that ever since. now i am hanging up my guns due to lack of money and time and getting back into rc. i just recently picked up 3 tmaxx and been putting them together hope this works out.

Since i have no experience with nitro rc but am a mechanic by trade this should be ok. so bare with me in my questions.

1st Tmaxx
paid $25
specs 2.5, milled alum. green bulkheads. aftermarket head. has reverse

this thing is thrashed but fixable. previous owner did a insane jump and wrecked it. front bulkhead chassis screws stripped out. rear chassis mounting hole for bulkhead bent. front 2 shocks bent. inner tie rods broken. center link broken. no ezstart wiring or box. 2.5 gummed up with old fuel.

2nd tmaxx
paid 50
specs .12 novarossi road engine, spool gear in front and rear diffs. rpm extend a/arms, rpm bulkheads, metal axles, metal driveshafts, crazy milled chassis and braces. no reverse

motor has hard time starting and staying on. i think due to lack off fuel because fitting on muffler is not tight on muffler. may need to replace steering servo turns to slow.

3rd tmaxx
paid 100
specs sirio tx .18 engine, thick heavy front aluminum bulkhead, metal axles,no reverse ,metal spur gear. roll cage

no problems engine runs great.

what do you guys think. good starters??? i am going to take out the novarossi on the 2nd tmaxx and swap in the 2.5 after i clean it out. I'm pretty sure the .12 novarossi is underpowered for a 4x4 spool monster truck.
any other ideas.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on all of those....If I was you I would just build one truck out of the parts from all three.

Also, I didn't know you could put a .12 in a tmaxx

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on all of those....If I was you I would just build one truck out of the parts from all three.

Also, I didn't know you could put a .12 in a tmaxx

do you mean fit wise? i havent ran it yet but i think it will be way underpowered?

3 mm screws

a t-maxx has mostly 3 mm screws. the button head and countersunk screws have a 2 mm socket, do NOT use a ball end driver on them it will strip them out. eather use a stright hex wrinch, or change them to a socket head that is 2.5 mm, you can use a ball driver with them.