New Engines and questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroWannabe

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Woohoo, I just got two new engines for each of my cars. A fantom for my Adam Drake and the Ofna Picco O-1 BP for my kyosho. I've got a couple questions...

All my previous RC engines used a flat spot on the crank shaft to seat the flywheel. I'm not sure I explained that well, the crank wasn't round it was kinda D shaped at the base where it goes into the engine, the flywheel slipped on and the grabbed in the D shapped slot so the flywheel and crank couldn't slip.

On the Kyosho, I was thinking about trying out a 3 shoe clutch setup to see if it helped acceleration, so now I a legitimate excuse to do so :)

On the drake I've got all the right parts...I think. I put it all together, but I just don't understand how the crank is going to spin and grab the flywheel. Seems like there is going to be a lot of slip. Am I missing something?

Most RC engines use a cone shaped yoke that fits in-between the crankshaft and the flywheel.
Look at part 9376 then once you install the flywheel over the it part number 9369 will screw on the end of the shaft and secure the setup. I believe 9369 has a hex on the front. Insert a hex wrench, hold the flywheel and tighten the hell out of it. Use a small amount of Blue LockTight.

Last edited:
Not sure on the Buggy what you mean.

Now on the Drake you should have a shim then the cone then the flywheel should seat on the cone and a nut #9369 will push the flywheel tight up on the conehere is an image even though the nut is really not to scale. that nut fits over the crank shaft. . I recommend before you even run that motor pull the FW back off and red locktite the screw in pins into the flywheel #9375 in the same picture above. Otherwise you will be replacing the flywheel soon because they have backed out and whollared out the flywheel, poor desgin on TL's part I think, anyway do the locktite and you will be fine. Just to clarify when you tighten that nut down it will force the flywheel on to the cone and jam it on there then the flywheel will be statci with the crankshaft meaning when the crank turns so does the flywheel. If the flywheel spins freely around the crank something is not right. If you have more ?'s on the losi just ask. X

Bite me ED I typed all that and you beat me to the punch. X

Ah, gotcha, I missed the hex opening on the nut. Getting it nice and tight I see how that'll hold it in place. I couldn't get it very tight using pliars on the smooth shaft.

The buggy is going to need a new everything between the gear and the engine, so I'm going to try out a 3 shoe clutch setup.

Back