new engine break in ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrferly2004

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
After 14 gallons thru it my original 3.3 motor finally crapped out. I went to my lhs and did the trade in for a brand new 3.3! This time rather than use traxxas crap fuel I'm planning on going with byrons g2 from the start. My question is, is it ok to break in a new 3.3 with byrons fuel? I know it doesn't have the same lubricant as top fuel. The guy at the shop said it would be fine and that I should just richen both needles about 1/16th and that should be good. Does that sound about right? I hate takin just one persons advice on somethin as critical as engine break in(especially since guys at hobbyshops don't necessarily know a ton). Please let me know what u guys think so I can get the best from mt New engine. Thanks

Last edited:
traxxas states that no special fuel is needed for breakin,i actualy broke in a 3.3 with byrons 20% and its still goin strong,

So we r finally getting a break in the rain here in ca. I still haven't broke in my new engine and was debating of I should do it tomorrow. The forecast calls for high 50's to mid 60's. With those temps should I do the winter break in that traxxas has in the manual or would a normal break in be ok? I'm not in any huge rush since it is winter and usually don't play much during the rainy season. Would I be better off just waiting until spring. It's just so hard looking at my shiny new engine and not firing it up. Lol

I would cover the head partially and run it as rich as necessary to maintain 200-220°f.....which should be plenty rich for the 50-60° weather as well. The guy telling you to richen it 1/16 is giving you bad advice because there's no way to know if it needs richening or leaning at this time. You'll have to judge it by how it runs. There is a good chance it will need richening for the cooler weather.
The most important thing is to run it rich and maintain roughly 200°f without reving over half throttle. This can be tricky and I would also suggest pre-heating the engine with a heat gun or hair dryer before startup.