Need help with models

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kx125str99

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Looking into getting a team associated 1/10 scale 4x4 buggy. Curious if there is a difference between the associated B74.1D and the B74.1. Also with the B74.2d and the B74.2. I assume the .2 is the newer one is there any difference between the two? Trying to decide what kit to get. Thanks.

The .1 is the older version that came out around late 2020. The .2 is the current / recent one that came out last October.

The regular versions without the "D" are the normal versions. Which are meant for carpet and clay from the kit setup for high traction. They also come with a slipper clutch.
The D versions are the dirt / clay versions which come with a center diff instead of a slipper clutch. And the kit setups are meant for lower traction like clay and dirt.

I have the B74.1D which I race on a mix of indoor clay and indoor carpet. 2 totally different environment's so that's why I race on carpet 95% of the time. (What I prefer)

So which one you want to go with depends on where and what your racing on, your budget and ect. The biggest difference between the .1 and .2 is 13mm bore shocks which deff makes a difference. And some other things like the battery strap, and shock tower mounts. (.1 being aluminum. .2 being plastic for the shock tower mounts. .1 having a carbon fiber battery strap (which I hate) and the .2 having a easy rubber o ring for easy access)

If your racing on turf or clay, or even any surface, I would go for the D (dirt) versions as most people like me and others use the center diff on carpet now instead of the slipper. With the diff for carpet, just use higher weight diff oils. For me, I am currently running 500K. Locals are running as high as 1M, 1.5M even 2M in the center diff.

With me. I got the dirt version. Changed some setup and its good for fun local club racing.

Check out my B74.1D builds:

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/team-associated-b74-1d-4wd-buggy-build.136702/
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/team-associated-b74-1d-4wd-buggy-build-2-0.136947/

Not to mention this was my first 4wd car, kit, and higher grade car so it was deff a handful coming from cheap traxxas 2wd bashers. I love it. Gonna be selling my traxxas stuff soon and getting something better to race with. But I will still keep my B74.1D for 4wd stock buggy.

Last edited:
The .1 is the older version that came out around late 2020. The .2 is the current / recent one that came out last October.

The regular versions without the "D" are the normal versions. Which are meant for carpet and clay from the kit setup for high traction. They also come with a slipper clutch.
The D versions are the dirt / clay versions which come with a center diff instead of a slipper clutch. And the kit setups are meant for lower traction like clay and dirt.

I have the B74.1D which I race on a mix of indoor clay and indoor carpet. 2 totally different environment's so that's why I race on carpet 95% of the time. (What I prefer)

So which one you want to go with depends on where and what your racing on, your budget and ect. The biggest difference between the .1 and .2 is 13mm bore shocks which deff makes a difference. And some other things like the battery strap, and shock tower mounts. (.1 being aluminum. .2 being plastic for the shock tower mounts. .1 having a carbon fiber battery strap (which I hate) and the .2 having a easy rubber o ring for easy access)

If your racing on turf or clay, or even any surface, I would go for the D (dirt) versions as most people like me and others use the center diff on carpet now instead of the slipper. With the diff for carpet, just use higher weight diff oils. For me, I am currently running 500K. Locals are running as high as 1M, 1.5M even 2M in the center diff.

With me. I got the dirt version. Changed some setup and its good for fun local club racing.

Check out my B74.1D builds:

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/team-associated-b74-1d-4wd-buggy-build.136702/
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/team-associated-b74-1d-4wd-buggy-build-2-0.136947/

Not to mention this was my first 4wd car, kit, and higher grade car so it was deff a handful coming from cheap traxxas 2wd bashers. I love it. Gonna be selling my traxxas stuff soon and getting something better to race with. But I will still keep my B74.1D for 4wd stock buggy.
Copy that. I guess the .d at that point makes sense for dirt. I will be racing on a dirty track yo start up again. My local track. When I used to race I used to travel around. First and clay. Budget isn’t all the big on my priorities. More looking at building a good car that’s reliable. And to decide the .1 to .2 model. That’s where I’m stuck.

A driver who prefers a more aggressive handling car may appreciate the center slipper which would only work on high grip conditions but I recently started using a center diff for high grip and my lap times improved considerably due to the car being more forgiving and easier to drive. For a sportsman level driver I wouldn't recommend a center slipper period.

Good Luck!

Back