My Nitro Sport & Nitro Rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the block from a 2.5 with busted piston, and put my internals from my busted engine into it, I now have a good 2.5R...again. I'm not sure how many more times these internals will take it, I'm pretty sure when the block gets a hole in it, it's gotta be pretty bad for the internals.

Here it is in my Rustler with the roll bar.

2013-01-20124946.gif

Showing some RCNT love, I ran out of the short body posts so I had to use the long ones.

2013-01-20125017.gif

I got dirt hawgs on my rustler. Never had a problem with them ballooning. Tried road hawgs and they instantly exploded when I hit the throttle.

Bought it in 2003 and I need to fix it up. Sat for 10 years. Put a lot of losi jrx parts on it when something broke. Like shocks, rims, axle carriers, drive shafts ect...
1356400779435.jpg

Well, I put the new 3.3 into my Rusty a few weeks ago. I was out running it today and busted my front left shock cap, I ran a couple more tanks through it after this happened and I ended up bending the stinger and splitting the pipe where they meet. I'm ordering some Team EDS tools this payday, once they get here I'll do a full teardown and rebuild of the Rusty.
It'll be getting:
-new upper chassis
-new front and rear RPM shock towers
-new shocks, I'll be using a new set from a Ten-T
-wide mod using rpm arms for the E-Rusty
-Lunsford turnbuckles w/rpm rod ends
-front hex conversion
-new bearings
-full set of Tony's screws
-Spektrum rx, I think I'm going to grab the SR200WP
-now I'll also be grabbing a new pipe, probably just going to get the stock Jato pipe again
-and I guess a rebuild this in depth really deserves a new shell.......more to come

Once I do the hex conversion I'll have to get some new front wheels, I think I'll use this opportunity to get a new set of Badlands. I'll have to grab a set of Dirt Hawgs as well, after all, I don't want the Badlands to get worn down if I decide to run on the road.

---------- Post added at 8:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:34 PM ----------

What the hell, may as well throw some TBR bumpers on her...I've talked to Rich about them enough, time to finally get around to ordering them.

Last edited:
I got some of the parts in (red), hopefully I'll have some down time next week and I can do my teardown and clean it really well. The diff will be getting filled with Bad Horsie locking diff grease, if you've never tried it, it works great (really stops the wobbly wheelies).

New RPM shock towers, and arms along with Ten-T shocks and a Tony's screws screw kit. I went ahead and put the E-Rustler arms on it along with the VXL turnbuckles.

20130609_155124_zpsf5826068.gif

20130609_155132_zpseb2297a7.gif

20130609_155132_zpseb2297a7.gif

I really got to run the Rusty today, I met up with a group of guys from a UK RC forum. We had 4x 1/5 scales, 2x Savage Fluxs, a Truggy, a Revo, my Mini 8ight and my Rusty (I had the LST but I couldn't get it to bind). I had the 3.3 running pretty rich and I still couldn't keep the front end down, I also pulled off a double backflip with it. We were out there for about 4 hours and the Rusty was doing great.....until it just wouldn't go, I have to tear into the transmission and figure out what broke. I'm really impressed with the Ten-T shocks, I would have bent a few shafts and blown the caps off if I still had the stock ones on. No parts (other than whatever broke in the transmission) were broken today, and it was run over my a Savage and clipped by a Baja. Not a bad way to spend Father's Day.

Well my pics are shot, I rearranged my Photobucket so all of my old post lost the pics.

Here's a link to my Rusty's Photobucket folder.

I took my Rusty out today, had a nice bash with a good group of guys over here. It was perfect timing, I had just finished a rebuild....I had to replace the front bulkhead along with the upper, center and lower chassis pieces. I ended up hitting a puddle while I was out, now I'm having issues with my electronics. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow and find out if it's the rx or servos. I'm hoping just the servos, they are stock Traxxas ones and are over 5 yrs old.

Now I just need to give it a good cleaning tomorrow, trouble shoot the electronic issues and wait on my new body. I'm also going to be getting some new shoes for it, I'm thinking Badlands, I'll be doing the front hex mod when I get these. I'll also be putting the finishing touches on a roller that I built out of spares, I'll probably build it up just like my current one and keep it as a spare basher.

Just got my TBR bumpers in, the RPM bumper that's being replaced has served me well for the last 2+ years and will be going on another rig. With how well the RPM did, these will have a lot to live up to. Here are a few pictures with them side by side, I'll have to post some pictures of them mounted later.

20140129_172715_zpspkeifbtv.jpg

You can't tell from the pic but the TBR one uses all four holes on the bulkhead, the RPM only used the same two as the stock one.

20140129_194633_zpsjeckmukz.jpg

20140129_194858_zpsu843ufzg.jpg

20140129_194929_zpsbhlzeknx.jpg

I use the TBR bumpers and skids on my Summit. They're pretty stout. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Nice rigs you have there BTW. How has the Losi receiver case worked out so far? Looks like it was meant for that truck. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
I use the TBR bumpers and skids on my Summit. They're pretty stout. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Nice rigs you have there BTW. How has the Losi receiver case worked out so far? Looks like it was meant for that truck. Pretty cool.

Yeah, I'm running TBR bumpers on my Mini 8ight and am pretty impressed with them.

The rx box shattered, with most of the other plastic parts of the truck, in my last big crash. The aluminum chassis has a nice curve to it now, along with the front hinge pins and a few screws as well. It's all back together now, I just need to reinforce my new body and get some more fuel.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

pulled my sons nitro rustler out from under the bench,he hasn't touched it in a few years. i had a new 3.3 on my bench so i installed it along with front and rear rpm arms and jaco foams and a few other odds and ends. weather is almost good enough to run it, can't wait. i am thinking i may have to put some weight on the front to keep the nose down...we shall see...:D

pulled my sons nitro rustler out from under the bench,he hasn't touched it in a few years. i had a new 3.3 on my bench so i installed it along with front and rear rpm arms and jaco foams and a few other odds and ends. weather is almost good enough to run it, can't wait. i am thinking i may have to put some weight on the front to keep the nose down...we shall see...:D

You probably will, I'm running 20/70 with 2.8 Trenchers and I can't keep it down.

I had it out today and I ripped the stinger off of my pipe and broke a shock cap, I definitely put the TBR bumpers and New Era roll bar to work today. This is the first damage these shocks have taken in about a gallon of use, I would break one almost every outing when I was running the stock ones, either a cap, shaft or rod end. I am thoroughly impressed with the Losi ones, one of the best upgrades in my opinion, they are tough and offer smooth travel.

i have some spare proline shocks from my slash 4x4 i think i will try and fit them to this truck and put some heavier oil in the rears before i slide down the street on the roof...:D

i checked the shocks and forgot that i put a new set of traxxas aluminum shocks on it when i did the other work. they aren't big bores but i want to try the truck before i do any other mods. i do have the prolines just in case i need to put them on.

Back