My AE SCB-10 Buggy Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrenchHead

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
OK fellas here is what I am up to. We all know about the Losi XXX SCB Short Course Buggy. They are even adding race classes for them as well. But I am not a fan of Horizons Customer Service so I am off to my own devices. Well after looking at a bag full of take off spares I have decided to build my own take on an AE SCB10FT Short Course Buggy to go against the Losi's. Well I have figured out a few things and still need to work out a few things as well. But here is some of the first pics of the build and will continue it as I go along. This will probably be a slow build unless I sell off a few things.So keep checking in for progress reports and developments.l8r,w.

So here is the bag o parts that got the ideas going.Not a complete rig but good enough.

DSC05267.jpg

Then scored a few more parts in trade and things are moving along.

DSC05266.jpg

Time to start cutting a few things down and get the R&D going.

DSC05277.jpg

Before
DSC05273.jpg

After
DSC05275.jpg

Pieces removed
DSC05274.jpg

Sneek Peek of the work in progress.
DSC05312.jpg

And the rolling chassis set up.

DSC05313.jpg

DSC05314.jpg

DSC05315.jpg

DSC05316.jpg

Coming along great!

Awesome. I love my scb and its a blast to drive. I think its great your having at it to make your own ride. Hope to see it turn out right and give some Losis a run for their money.

I love these types of builds. Good job!

OK then here is the next step of the design and build project. I installed my motor and ESC combo and made a mount for the ESC out of Lexan and routed the wires out of the way and secured them with a small wire loom holder. I scored a roll cage from a xxx scb and am waiting on a bumper supports and window mesh set. Have yet to mount anything since I need the other set of supports to complete the full cage and then modify it to fit and them modify it to get it to mount up on the AE chassis. But here are a few pics to hold you all over till the others arrive. Leave it to Losi to make you buy 3 parts setups to complete one assembly. Tipical BS.

DSC05330.jpg

DSC05331.jpg

DSC05332.jpg

DSC05333.jpg

DSC05334.jpg

DSC05336.jpg

lmao, losi isnt the only one that pulls that crap. I had to buy an entire HPI shock rebuild kit in tree form just to get the one little piece for a completely different part of the car. But the buggy build is looking awsome. What's your timeline look like and what's left on the "to do" list before this bad boy is on the ground running?

Hey All; So I got a few more items to add to the build and am at a slow down due to parts and racing. Well I got a drivers figure set last week and I got a body set today. Now I just need some universal body mount posts to customize to get er mounted and ready to test out. Also need to score a Spekky reciever to toss in the ride too. So here are some pics of the work I have been doing.L8R,W.

Bumper mount kit needed to complete the cage kit. Thanks Losi for mixxing the 2 up so you need to buy both to make one of them work,lol.

DSC05352.jpg

Drivers figure kit to complete the transformation and add the scale touch that makes it come alive.

DSC05354.jpg

Got it test fitted to see how it looks in there.

DSC05355.jpg

And got some paint work done to add some details. Will be doing some model paints on the outside and some Lexan paints on the inside as well.

DSC05363.jpg

DSC05364.jpg

DSC05370.jpg

DSC05373.jpg

And did a bit of body work on the helmet / head since there were some mold lines and uneven surfaces. And then some primer and wet sanding before a few coats of Racing Red paint. Have some leftover Tamiya F-1 decals kits with helmet decals to add then I will clear coat them over so they will never peel off.

DSC05367.jpg

DSC05368.jpg

DSC05375.jpg

DSC05376.jpg

And scored a body kit from my LHS since they are either way over priced on FeeBay or on BackOrder everywhere else. One of the guys there races one and got a body kit and never used it. He kept the ReadyLift body on his and sold me his spare clear body set. Any guesses what color combonation will be applied to it? lol

DSC05374.jpg

AE colors are blue and silver (or white?) So that would seem fitting since your going with the anti-Losi design.

Wrench, Ratzo is selling a couple Spektrum receivers, Idk which ones you need, but he has 2

Wrench, Ratzo is selling a couple Spektrum receivers, Idk which ones you need, but he has 2

Really looking for micro recv since not much room on here. Thanks for the heads up man.

Got some more work done on the Driver Dude. Here he be.

DSC05377.jpg

DSC05378.jpg

Helmet Head all deacaled and cleared over.

DSC05379.jpg

DSC05380.jpg

I didn't know what he had, but I thought it might've helped

Hey All got some work done again tonight. Here is a Lil' tease.Enjoy.

DSC05383.jpg

DSC05385.jpg

DSC05384.jpg

DSC05387.jpg

DSC05392.jpg

DSC05389.jpg

DSC05390.jpg

Yea you know me any scale detail I a Sucker. But, I tryed a losi scb at the track for a few mins last race.Looking forward to the completion at the end of the build journey. I did finish up the body mockup and I am happy with the progress.

DSC05395.jpg

DSC05394.jpg

Looks great so far nicely done man. I love those tires as well, I woulda thought with how gummy they are they wouldnt do well on loose dirt but I have them on my slash and man does she rip around corners!

Beautiful man. Can't wait to hear how it runs. I love the way mine runs and can only imagine how nice once you throw in some better parts like quality adjustable suspension.

Ok fellas got some work done on this project. The body has now become one with the chassis and is no longer "in mock up" faze. And I got to test run it as well today a bit. Took a bit of work but after some trimming I got the rear body section to mount to the SC10 shock tower and had to use a couple zipties to hold the reaqr after trimming the body panels to clear the SC10 bumper and motor cover. Up front I grabbed a set of Parma universal body posts and mounted them to the chassis with some countersunk holes in the servo box area. I also Beefed up the chassis a bit with a couple of support rods running the span of the chassis where I trimmed out the SC10 side bumpers and mounts. After that it was the Micro Spekky recv. that finished off the job. So now it will be a test and tune at the track next weekend for some SC races in Sarasota.Here are the pics I got of it finished off and running.Enjoy.l8r,w.

Rear mounts
DSC05497.jpg

DSC05495.jpg

DSC05499.jpg

DSC05498.jpg

DSC05504.jpg

Front mounts
DSC05500.jpg

DSC05501.jpg

DSC05503.jpg

I can pick it up off the bench and it supports all the weight nicely.

DSC05505.jpg

DSC05506.jpg

Chassis supports

DSC05507.jpg

Poser shot to submit to AE.

DSC05509.jpg

DSC05510.jpg

---------- Post added at 8:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:21 PM ----------

Got it out to the ball fields after church and took a few action pics for your viewing pleasure.

DSC05517.jpg

DSC05519.jpg

DSC05524.jpg

DSC05525.jpg

DSC05522.jpg

DSC05513.jpg

DSC05514.jpg

DSC05515.jpg

DSC05520.jpg

DSC05521.jpg

Photo submitted to Associated today.

DSC05508.jpg