Mini T shocks- Oil Filled or Threaded?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waste Land

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Looking for a new pair of shocks. I'm unsure if I want oil filled(used on my nitro, Storm) or threaded. I'm big into bashing and pretty hard on landings. I'm big into back flips and front flips off big ramps and roofs. I ride either in low grass with ramps or in huge dirt quarry pits.

Everyone seems to be having good experience with these. Somone said they were threaded and oil filled but cannot tell from the pics.

http://brpracing.com/500.html

Anyone have any suggestions for type and if oil what kind of Wt oil?

Is the threaded worth the adjustability? Or are oil filled just much better to land on?

you can get threaded and oil filled.. you definatly want oil filled, that is what gives you the dampening. the threaded is basicaly to adjust ride height. the thicker the oil the slower the compression. which will make it bottom out less, but soak up dips and jumps less to. you can also change spring rates, stiffer springs again will not let it bottom out as much but you will bounce around off small bumps instead of soaking them up.

as far as threaded its just preference, you can always just pop in spacers. they look cool though!!!

I went with Oil filled shocks my self and 70wt oil but don't know the spring pressures. That was all the oil they had ATM but it works pretty good. In my opinon this cut my bottoming out down about 50% or more. I don't do any super jumps but I will get her up around two feet. She bottoms out a little from this but it's not slamming down bottoming out like it was with the stock shocks. Now my oil filled shocks don't seem to be anything major compared to those in that link. I paid like 20.00 bux for them off ebay I believe.

Ray

Do you have pics of them on your car and a ebay link for refrence?

The BRP shocks you are looking at are AE VSC shocks used on Oval cars such as the RC10L4.

They are better quality then the Mini-T shocks out on the market but carry a hefty price. I used them on mine at one point then switched to the Losi Mini-T shocks. I have to say they were better quality, reacted and tuned well but IMO not worth the additional coin for my style of bashing.

Well the truck is pretty much a mess and half way taken a part but here is a front picture anyways. These are those Team Losi oil filled shocks Eddy mentioned. They work pretty good with the 70wt oil and I guess you can install a stiffer spring if you need too stiffen it up some more.

DSC00262.jpg

Here is a set for 21.99 plus 3.00 shipping on ebay. Just they don't come with shock oil, you'll have to add your own.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Losi-Racing-Sho...035027221QQcategoryZ44028QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah the Team shocks look great but all I hear about is how they leak so much

Waste Land said:
Yeah the Team shocks look great but all I hear about is how they leak so much

very true. they really are a pain in the ass to change oils. I cut a small square off of a balloon and put a whole in the center with a pin. I then put the shock rod throught the whole and screw the bottom cap on thus making my own gasket. Then I just cut the excess rubber around the shock. It works well but it's very time consuming.

I haven't had mine enough to really tell but they have leaked already. These cars turn into a money pit if you want them to run well and not leak lol

Back