MBX R2 or Ultra MBX Pro? Which one is better?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebuladds

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. I'm not interested in spending more than $300-$360 on a car, so I'm not interested in purchasing a Kyosho or Mugen or whatever.

I'm just trying to decide between the two I mentioned above.

One more thing, the MBX R2 80% comes with the .21 engine but WITHOUT a body? Will I have to purchase a body separately?

i'm pretty sure it comes w/ a body. I would go w/ the mbx r2 picco if you have the cash.

L8r,
Garrett

before u purchase - take a look at the GS Storm RTR. In my opinion i think it is a much better car - along with that, it comes with an awesome radio.
Humboldt blazer and I both have the pro version and just LOVE IT. My good friend has the ofna lx pro, and hates it. Just my two cents. U can see the RTR version here, at this link: http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=GSC2003

I know its a lil more money - but well worth it

If you like to build, u can go with the pro too, which in my opinion is even better than the kyosho inferno

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
before u purchase - take a look at the GS Storm RTR. In my opinion i think it is a much better car - along with that, it comes with an awesome radio.

ASDKJSDAFKJSDAF

Dont listen to that. I bought a Hot Bodies Lightning Pro. The "Pro" part is very important. It comes with an insanely hopped up chassis. It also comes with an engine. It has no radio, but for $350, you should have plenty of cabbage left over for that JR XR3 that come with the Storm RTR. My LHS used to sell GS Storms until the Lightning Pro (did I mention the "pro" part is very important?) came out last December. Now they sell the Lightning Pro because it comes with more and thicker aluminium than the Storm RTR.

If you're looking for low over all cost, the Lightning Pro is it. You get a ton of stuff for $350. You can get a new futaba 2ch am radio for only $45 from tower. That's still under $400 which is a steal.

Good luck on your purchase,
Rob

Last edited:
i forgot about the HBLP, Rob. I agree, that car is a great vehicle, but we must remember two things. number 1 - u yourself said the engine sucked! and u replaced it, also - if u added the radio that comes with the GS, the cost would go up to 500.00 which is what u can get a storm for, almost. Point is, the HB and the GS are awesome, and alot better than the Ofna products. I was just trying to talk him out of the Ofal, i mean Ofna buggies.

Pro smo thats whatever until they have a "pro" winning races with that buggy.:violin:

haha... again i agree w/ you blazer.:w00t:

I think we have had enough Ofna threads lately in the 1/8 buggy forum.:n00bie:

i agree, when is someone going to realize that ofal, i mean ofna is the duratrax of buggies?

I think we got our own Storm Possie. I love it. Common guys lets start a gang. Westside!!!

I didn't get a chance to see the stock engine in the Lightning Pro for very long. My newbieness broke the con-rod the first day I ran the engine. Even without an engine, the Lightning Pro is has a sweet chassis for $350. Buy the buggy and sell the stock engine new on ebay for $80. It's the same engine that comes on teh savage. It would sell.

NitroAddict, wait until you see it in person come August. I've seen the storm rtr an the lightning pro side by side. If you want a storm, skip to the pro version.

Stormminators in this thread and were about to set trip on your ass. Stop comparing the HB pro to the RTR nobody here is saying the Strom RTR is better than the pro HB but you can upgrade you Storm to pro and it is in a different league than the HB pro so what up now homie:stickup:

Plus the RTR comes with a nice radio system that you dont have to upgrade for awhile and thats why its $35 more dollars than your precious "pro"

this conversation seems like deja vu. :hehe:

your right so stop bringing up the same point about the HB pro.

How about I bring up a new topic?

why didn't you just buy an inferno mp 7.5? I think you're all gun-ho about the Storm because you regret you didn't buy the Kyosho. You spend $600+ per month on R/C you have the cabbage. I think instead of kicking yourself you try to convince others how great your mistake really is.

If you're going to put 2+ grand into a buggy why not start with the winner and not third place? you could buy a straigh mp75 for about the same amount of money as the storm pro kit. With the mp75 you can upgrade it to the k2. It's the same argument as the hb pro vs storm pro accept the storm pro is now on the bottom and the kyosho is on top.

I make very little. You could almost call my work here "non-profit". On top of that, add three kids a mortgage and a car payment. I don't have the extra $600 to throw around each month you do. At $700 my 1/8 Lightning Pro is a damn fine investment for my budget. If I want to share my delightful investment with other that are unortunate enough to have as little money as I do, I will.

Now, get the hell off the GS Storm Pro soap box, sell it on ebay and go buy that friggen K2 you're lusting after.

No hobby shops around me stock Kyosho. I would have to buy everything online. Yes I admit if I would have known as much about nitro as I do now I might have bought a kit instead of an RTR. See I bought something based on why I wanted it for: Play with it right now RTR. Race later hence buying a model with plenty of upgrade parts. I wanted something that might be an actual contender if I did race hence a model that is raced by pro's. I do kinda like the underdog and thats why my next buggy is going to be a MBX 5 by Mugen and not a Kani 2. For me my choice was a Thunder Tiger or the Storm and since Horizon sells the Storm and pretty much all hobyy shops stock Horizon that was a no brianer.

It really sounds to me like you are sorry you didnt buy the Inferno. You feel the need to defend the HB pro everytime someone even metions it. We both don't own the best buggy out there but mine is better and its proven by real world results ooh and did I mention I have a Sirio .21 ok I thought I did.:breakdown

Originally posted by NoviceRob
Now, get the hell off the GS Storm Pro soap box, sell it on ebay and go buy that friggen K2 you're lusting after.

but mom I really want a MBX 5 or an Accer Racing buggy. Why do
I have to get the Kyosho?

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
No hobby shops around me stock Kyosho.

Do you remember this?

Originally posted by humboldtblazer

So I would go into my hobby shop and show it off and buy some parts for my T-maxx and always ask the owner "you buy from Horizon Hobby why dont you stock some GS parts for me" He was relucktant (sp) but I came in more and more and he kept seeing the process of me hoppping it up to pro. He's like where you get this and where did you get that. I told him I bought it off of Horizon Hobbies. So to make a alreadly long story short he carries ALL of the Storm parts. Me showing off my buggy got him 8 orders for GS Storm kits. With a lot more people having buggies now some are wanting different ones so he stocks Ofna's now.

Your hobbyshop didn't stock ANY buggy parts from what I can tell. If you had gotten an mp75 and hopped it up to a k2, he would sell kyosho parts.

Also the mbx wasn't around when you got your Storm RTR.

Yeah, I defend my HB Lightning Pro. Yeah, I wish I had a k2 or even the straight mp75. I just don't have the means to have one. You do though. :hehe:

Good :flamer: ;)

-rob