Made some Delrin Lower Links

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abadk9420

Broke Down Driver
In Memoriam
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I decided to have a go at making some Delrin Links myself, so I went by a local plastics place here in town and picked up 3ft. of 5/16" natural Delrin Rod only because they did not have any black. Any way here is some pics of the new links that I made...

After cutting them to length I used my 5/16" drill bushing to get a nice straight hole.
P1070763Small.jpg

Then I took my larger drill bit for my 8/32" tap and drilled them again.
P1070761Small.jpg

Then I took my 8/32" tap and threaded all of my links.
P1070766Small.jpg

Then I attached my Revo large rod ends onto the links.
P1070768Small.jpg

Here is the finished product.
P1070770Small.jpg

Here is a couple pics of them installed on my rig.

P1070772Small.jpg

P1070773Small.jpg

P1070774Small.jpg

Body on shots.
P1070775Small.jpg

P1070776Small.jpg

Tell me what you think:D

Last edited:
looks good bro, nice job! I'm thinking on mine i'll try to drill all the way through, i think a regular like 3" bit like i have will work just do it from both sides and then all thread all the way through, that way the the delrin wont get brittle after bending it. Yours looks great though and nice right up.

Great idea! Now you just need to die them to match the truck. Again another good job.

Thanks, I think I will test them out for the most part at the next comp, I f I like them I might die them of just leave white since I have a lot of white on the body.

Nice job. They look great.

Looks good and easy enough to do yourself, I like it.

I definatly recomend using a drill bushing like Curtis did too, i made some straight and some bent links the other day without one and messed up a few good peices of delrin by not drilling into them straight.

That Drill bushing is a life save for sure, I made some for one of the other guys in our crawler club and 2 more guys ordered a set when they saw them, so now I will be making 2 more sets for a SWX chassis. Time to go buy more Delrin.:D

Oooh nice Tutorial! I could definitely use that.

FWIW if you are using this on an Axial using Axial parts then you'll need to use M3 Metric taps and 2.5mm holes.

^^^ but making custom links, in my opinion, theres no reason to use 3m stuff when you can use large revo rod ends that dont just snap off every time you take a fall.

Looks cool. Delrin is a good material for that since it's a self lubricating plastic (slippery).

What's the drill bushing? Got a link to one? Does anyone make something that will center itself on the side of round bar? I always get them a hair off center (hand drill, apartment life is fun) when I make my roll bars.

Those look great bro. I agree with keeping them white. Looks good with that paintjob. :thumbup:

Thanks guys and yeah I like the look of the white with this paint job too, if any one wants links just let me know, I can make you a set with large Revo rod ends, PM me for more info.

^^^ but making custom links, in my opinion, theres no reason to use 3m stuff when you can use large revo rod ends that dont just snap off every time you take a fall.

I used Axial Rod ends on my first comp rig and they were just fine. New rig came with longer ball ends, dunno what they are as yet, need to find out so I've got some spares. Probably also on M3.

'Sides, I was just sayin, wasn't meaning either was better or worse, just adding some info for folks using Axial parts.

Well I was talking with Lloyd one of our crawler Guru's and he had a sweet idea of putting a Delrin link spacer on the lower chassis side mounts, so I ran with it and this what it looks like on my rig, I also made myself another set of lower links out of black 5/16" Delrin the same stuff the spacer is made out of...Tell me what you think, I think it really cleans up the mounting area giving it a polished look with nothing to get hung up on any more, thanls for the idea SNG, you the man!!

Lower Link Spacer
P1080022Medium.jpg

P1080023Medium.jpg

P1080025Medium.jpg

P1080026Medium.jpg

P1080027Medium.jpg