Lucky Weekend!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

Boy what a weekend. Two RC's were almost completely smoked! Saturday I learned a very important lesson. Almost triple check your wiring diagrams. Saturday morning I woke up had breakfast and then headed down to the basement. I grabbed my brand new EMaxx, set it up on the bench, took the lid off and preceeded to check out the wiring. I was going to cut the Tamiya ends off and solder on some Deans. Well I thought I knew what was goning on so I went ahead and snipped the ends off. So far so good. Well then I soldered on the deans... again, no big deal. The big deal came when I went to hook the batteries up. First pack, no problem. Second pack... sparks. I thought... in all my infinite wisdom that this was just static, nothing to worry about. So I go ahead and connect the battery, ignoring the spark. Well.. instant smoke! Ok... so now I panic!, but first disconnect the batteries!.. then panic. So, here I am watching the smoke disappear thinking to myself... that is the smell of money going up in smoke. I thought I had just fried a brand new EMaxx. So I disconnect everything, throw it in the car and head to the LHS... (Good thing they are only 10 min away). The first thing we did was hook up a reciever battery and check the reciever and servos... they worked! Great news! second we test the battery packs... one fried, the other good! So I am now down a $50 pack. Well to make a long story short, we figured out that in my infinite wisdom I falled to realize that on the EVX Esc on an EMaxx, the power wires are crossed. What I did was basically short the battery out. Good news is, I put a new pack in and I was able to fire it up and the EMaxx works great. I am out a pack and that is it. I consider myself very luck... and a bit wiser too.

Second story. Well Dad came over on Sunday with his Rustler to see the new EMaxx and spend some time bashing around the yard. At that point I was just happy to even have an EMaxx to be bashing. Well we were bashing around having a blast. Near collisions, rollovers and lots of dust... great times! Well there was a drainage ditch in the front yard that just happened to be full of water. Well, the fact that the water existed was not a surprise and we were avoiding... albeit getting dangerously close to it at the same time. Well I turned my head and I heard Dad exclaim an explitvie. I turned around in time to see his Rustler hit the water, list to its side, turn on its lid, and sink like a rock. I imediately told Dad to grab it, kill the power, and disconnect the battery. We ran inside, we took the battery off, I pulled the ESC, and reciever off, and went for the air compressor and my wifes Hair dryer. Well to make this long story short as well, we got everything dry and cleaned out. We were lucky that most of the water was in the lid, not the electronics. The truck was not fully submerged either. Good news here, was that the ESC and reciever had very little water on them at all. Well we dried everything off and let it sit for a while. Well, I figured, could I get lucky twice in the same weekend? Dad said, lets fire it up! I had servos, and a spare reciever lying around so I figured, what the hell. Well you know the damn thing ran! So we fnished our day of bashing and Dad went home to WD all the joints and pivot points.

So it was an interesting weekend to say the least. Just thought I would share. Take care guys.

Tom

And they say nitro is the only way to keep your heart rate up! Good stuff, Tom! Glad to hear everything made it through! My boy smoked the ESC in his E-Maxx awhile back thinking it would be cool to drive it through puddles, even though his old man SPECIFICALLY told him not to! I know, next time tell him to drive through them and he'll do the opposite. Not with this kid! If I told him to drive it into a swimming pool, I assure you, he would!

LOL... yeah I know what you mean. I tell my stepson all the time to keep the buggy on the driveway until the grass dries, if course what does he do... right into the grass!

This weekend has past... and I can laugh about it all now, but man what a crazy weekend.

Tom

Doged some bullets there.....sounds lik eit all worked out ok!!!!!!!!

Learning experience for sure! All in all no damage done, and I had some great fun with the old man to boot!

Tom

Just remember, it's the magic smoke that's inside those cans and boxes that make our electronic things work. If you let the magic smoke out they don't work any more.

Just remember, it's the magic smoke that's inside those cans and boxes that make our electronic things work. If you let the magic smoke out they don't work any more.

True that! I learned another thing too...... Batteries smell some kind of awful when the burn! I can still smell it!

The same thing happened to my phone kind of. I just bought it and I forgot it was in my swm trunks and I jumped in and I immeadiatally realized:flaming: that it was there. I went inside the house and took everything apart and got everything dried off and it worked!! I also got luckey.

mine wasn't so lucky. Had a few too many ona boat, and decided I was gonna have a swim. Forgot my phone was on my hip, and when I got home it was TOAST. completely fried, had to go buy another one.

See why I dislike electric stuff? too finiky.

Give me an Engine. fuel burning, reliable engine. all you need is air and gas, nothing else. :)

yup same here. They are too tempermermental.:breakdown

I got a cell phone story. Me and my dad were up at this creek called trabuco witch has alot of deep holes in it. So i get on the back side of this huge pool, that is at least 6 foot deep. I forgot to take my phone out of my pocket back at the truck and wasent about to walk a mile back just for that. So there I was standing on a little rock when it just decided to roll out from under me. I went over my head and swam for the other side. Then realized o poop my phone. It was siting at the bottom of this pool. Luckly it was crystal clear so i dived down and got it. I was so lucky I let it dry on a rock in the sun for a couple of hours and it work like new.

Bryson

what no pics??? :)

No pics... sorry about that. There was really nothing to show except the end of the pack was a bit melted. It didn't explode or anything... I think I probably would have s*** my pants if that had happened. LOL Not even a mark on the truck. When I cut the pack open I found I had burned right through the tin connector at the bottom of the pack. So I disassembled the battery and tested each cell to see if it was good. I ended up with 5 good 4200 cells. It looks like my glow ignitor is going to have some juice this summer! LOL

Tom