Looking for another Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said id pick the savage because I own an X SS and I had a .25 before that. Theyre tough as nails and their rep precedes them. OFNA I generally trust as a good company but outside of their buggies there not really known for much. I'm guessing it would be a decent kit but I know the savage is. Plus I'm betting the savage has way more aftermarket support. if you wanted a kit but wanted the advantages of the XL you could do the FLM extension as suggested above and get the parts from the XL that make it wider. I think mine cost around $20 or $30 bucks for the parts to make it wider? Then you have the best of both worlds. plus the engine is better than the XLs from what I've read (never owned an XL). The savage is a tank outta the box but it definitely isnt the mot nimble thing around. My LST2 and XXL are much nicer IMO but aftermarket support for them is dying off and i think the only thing that is even still being made is the XXL2 which is a gasser. If you want handling over out of the box beefiness then maybe a REVO would be a good choice?
I've got two Revo now . I'm looking for something different right now I'm just trying to figure out if the savage xl is much different . The size of the engine and 3 speed doesn't matter . I appreciate all the input form everyone

I said id pick the savage because I own an X SS and I had a .25 before that. Theyre tough as nails and their rep precedes them. OFNA I generally trust as a good company but outside of their buggies there not really known for much. I'm guessing it would be a decent kit but I know the savage is. Plus I'm betting the savage has way more aftermarket support. if you wanted a kit but wanted the advantages of the XL you could do the FLM extension as suggested above and get the parts from the XL that make it wider. I think mine cost around $20 or $30 bucks for the parts to make it wider? Then you have the best of both worlds. plus the engine is better than the XLs from what I've read (never owned an XL). The savage is a tank outta the box but it definitely isnt the mot nimble thing around. My LST2 and XXL are much nicer IMO but aftermarket support for them is dying off and i think the only thing that is even still being made is the XXL2 which is a gasser. If you want handling over out of the box beefiness then maybe a REVO would be a good choice?
^ This.

What a person is really paying for in the XL is the 5.9 and the three speed and its ready to roll. If a 4.6 and two speed were sold as new that would nearly fund a hawt engine and a three speed. The length and width can be done for a whole lot less than the $135 ($200 if SS kit) added cost, and they'd have some schazzy machined TVPs. FLM also offers an extended TVP set that is 17.5mm (little over 1/2in) shorter than an XL but 40mm longer than an X. For those looking for a little less wheelbase than an XL. The FLM plates also lower the center of gravity by .5 inches further increasing handling. Again leaps and bounds.

Extended:
http://www.fastlanemachine.net/proddetail.php?prod=FLM45100&cat=22
XL length:
http://www.fastlanemachine.net/proddetail.php?prod=FLM45600&cat=22

Savages handle fine, no they don't handle like a 1/10th scale stadium truck, but thats not what they market them for. Its a monster truck, its monsters up, over, and through stuff, but with some finesse and grace :D

Or even, there is nothing wrong with the 4.6 and many prefer it over the 5.9, it turns a few more RPM so gearing for gearing the 4.6 would have a higher top speed. And the two speeds are generally more durable unless the "bullet proof 3speed" mod was performed. The SS comes with the K block whereas the the RTR X comes with the F block. It will go back and forth on the better of the two, but I prefer the K, and it turns a bit faster yet.

Edit: And if a guy bought an SS kit, they wouldn't even have to take anything apart and everything would be new with no tooling marks, just take it out of the box and post it.

Last edited:
^ This.

What a person is really paying for in the XL is the 5.9 and the three speed and its ready to roll. If a 4.6 and two speed were sold as new that would nearly fund a hawt engine and a three speed. The length and width can be done for a whole lot less than the $135 ($200 if SS kit) added cost, and they'd have some schazzy machined TVPs. FLM also offers an extended TVP set that is 17.5mm (little over 1/2in) shorter than an XL but 40mm longer than an X. For those looking for a little less wheelbase than an XL. The FLM plates also lower the center of gravity by .5 inches further increasing handling. Again leaps and bounds.

Extended:
XL length:

Savages handle fine, no they don't handle like a 1/10th scale stadium truck, but thats not what they market them for. Its a monster truck, its monsters up, over, and through stuff, but with some finesse and grace :D

Or even, there is nothing wrong with the 4.6 and many prefer it over the 5.9, it turns a few more RPM so gearing for gearing the 4.6 would have a higher top speed. And the two speeds are generally more durable unless the "bullet proof 3speed" mod was performed. The SS comes with the K block whereas the the RTR X comes with the F block. It will go back and forth on the better of the two, but I prefer the K, and it turns a bit faster yet.

Edit: And if a guy bought an SS kit, they wouldn't even have to take anything apart and everything would be new with no tooling marks, just take it out of the box and post it.

What is so wrong with the engine? If I bought the Kit I'd use it until it goes. THen Look at a better option.

None of the stock savage engines are all that great. There a bit lacking in power and dont seem to me like they last as long as say an LRP or Picco etc. You will find a bit of disagreement about which is better the K or the F. The K is the one that comes with the X SS kit and the F is the one that comes with the 4.6 RTR. I'm in agreement Surelyman though about the K being a bit better than the F and from what I've read Id say theres a slight majority agreement on that but you'll get plenty that liek the F better. Either way there meh at best. From everythign I've read and again I havent owned the 5.9 most people seem to think its just a big turd or at least thats the impression I've gotten anyway from a lot of stuff I've read. At the end of the day though any of the engine will work fine and if you have one you might as well just use it and abuse it and when it gives up the ghost then you can just move on to greener pastures :)

What is so wrong with the engine? If I bought the Kit I'd use it until it goes. THen Look at a better option.

Absolutely thats why I mentioned that really, between the K4.6 and the 5.9, id take the 4.6 anyhow and to just run it. Grab an SS kit, FLM TVP's, XL extended axles and a TF40 tx/rx.

But that if someone was looking to the 5.9 for the added power, that there are much, much better options out there. And that one could pull the 4.6 and sell it as new to fund said superior option, the FLM TVP's, and the XL extended axles. Total capital investment would be about that of a stock xl.

Just mentally adding it up, selling on the low side, and buying on the high side.
X SS kit: +400
Sold new K4.6 : -125
Purchased LRP .30X (comp model): +170
Starter: Roto-start +25/Pullstart and back plate +35
FLM TVPs: Extended+60/XL Length +45
XL Extended axles: +30
HPI TF40 TX & RF40: +40

I Get $585 At XL length with a rotostart, or $610 Extended length with a pull starter. This is the aprox same price, better alternative to an XL RTR at $600. Give or take some for shipping variables. Pricing doesn't include a 3 speed, but the 2 speed is good for $20 bucks, and a 3 speed goes for around 60. But the two speed is just fine if not better suited for abuse. And a person would get the hop ups that come with the SS, adjustable upper arms, tuned aluminum pipe, ect.

Again, the XL is awesome, and its ready to go out of the box. The method described above would have a few weeks of down time buying and selling.

The way I see it, there are two currencies in the world, time & money, and you can compensate one with the other.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Search ebay for savage rollers. Theres a place that sells brand new rollers for $200-250 range.

The. Uou can get a bad ass mill and premium electronics

Search ebay for savage rollers. Theres a place that sells brand new rollers for $200-250 range.

The. Uou can get a bad ass mill and premium electronics

There you go.

Although that is even further away from running as they need more little things, radio box, servos, body ect. But would definitely be an option I would be considering if I was looking to purchase new, as a person could build one from the get-go with the parts they wanted, but I think that would get expensive rather quick and the factory stuff is just fine.

I kinda like rehoming and breathing life into things though, I picked up a 4.6X SS that had been sitting for awhile but basically RTR including TX/RX for $170 on my local craigslist for my newest project. I kinda like wrenching more than driving lol, probably why all of my electrics are gone and I'm still into nitro. I do really want a crawler though.
Sorry off topic. :rolex:

^ This.

Extended:
XL length:

in this post you mention "The length and width can be done for a whole lot less than the $135 ($200 if SS kit) added cost," I'm not quite getting why the SS Kit would cost more money additional being the sterring servo would have to go in the RTR anyway.

^ This.

Extended:
XL length:

in this post you mention "The length and width can be done for a whole lot less than the $135 ($200 if SS kit) added cost," I'm not quite getting why the SS Kit would cost more money additional being the sterring servo would have to go in the RTR anyway.

There you go.

Although that is even further away from running as they need more little things, radio box, servos, body ect. But would definitely be an option I would be considering if I was looking to purchase new, as a person could build one from the get-go with the parts they wanted, but I think that would get expensive rather quick and the factory stuff is just fine.

I kinda like rehoming and breathing life into things though, I picked up a 4.6X SS that had been sitting for awhile but basically RTR including TX/RX for $170 on my local craigslist for my newest project. I kinda like wrenching more than driving lol, probably why all of my electrics are gone and I'm still into nitro. I do really want a crawler though.
Sorry off topic. :rolex:
I really want to think you guys for giving me all this valued input. I have been out of the hobby for a long time you you are surely opening my eyes to alot of alternatives. Being the XL is $599 is lacking (which i want aware it was) I think I'm going to explore the Roller option but if I decide to move quicker would you be in agreement that the SS Kit is the better way to go ?

No problem my man, just wanting to spend your money as if it was my own, trying to hit as close or less to the XL price point as possible, And the roller option would be prime "end game" if a person was going to do a complete custom build, but when complete trucks are available RTR used for $200 or less I think it would have to be one cheap roller. The guy I bought my current truck from also had a roller he was selling for $50 bucks, I was too starry eyed at my X to bite lol. Watch your local adds!

And to be honest the servos did slip my mind in the SS kit, but even adding servos to that estimate, it wouldn't be much more than an XL overall price wise, and it would be much more truck.

With that said an X RTR would probably be the way to go in this situation as it would come with the TX/RX, and servos.

Math re-work:

X RTR: +465
Sold new F4.6 : -125

I get $610 XL length/roto-start and $635 Extended length/pull start, the latter being my choice between the two. And it would run circles around an RTR XL.

Much cheaper engine offers are available too, I was just giving an example of an engine that was more comparable with the advertised horsepower of the 5.9. The non competition model of the LRP.30 comes with a pull starter included for $160. That option would take a bit off that estimate. $590 extended $575 XL Length.

No problem my man, just wanting to spend your money as if it was my own, trying to hit as close or less to the XL price point as possible, And the roller option would be prime "end game" if a person was going to do a complete custom build, but when complete trucks are available RTR used for $200 or less I think it would have to be one cheap roller. The guy I bought my current truck from also had a roller he was selling for $50 bucks, I was too starry eyed at my X to bite lol. Watch your local adds!

And to be honest the servos did slip my mind in the SS kit, but even adding servos to that estimate, it wouldn't be much more than an XL overall price wise, and it would be much more truck.

With that said an X RTR would probably be the way to go in this situation as it would come with the TX/RX, and servos.

Math re-work:

X RTR: +465
Sold new F4.6 : -125

I get $610 XL length/roto-start and $635 Extended length/pull start, the latter being my choice between the two. And it would run circles around an RTR XL.

Much cheaper engine offers are available too, I was just giving an example of an engine that was more comparable with the advertised horsepower of the 5.9. The non competition model of the LRP.30 comes with a pull starter included for $160. That option would take a bit off that estimate. $590 extended $575 XL Length.
No rollers on Ebay now that I can find . for the steering servo . which do you recommend?

There is a wide range of servos available to fit every budget. Hitec and Savox make high end servos, but any standard size servo will work. A person could source a stock XL steering servo. They go for 15-20 bucks on fleaBay. The stock throttle brake servo is really okay unless one is seeking to flat ground front flips and they can be found for basically nothing, I think there is some on there for like 8 bucks with shipping.

I will probably get laughed at but I use these,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG995-High-...026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c177d91a
They are so dag' nabbed cheap a guy can buy em' by the dozen. And they are digital, ball bearing, boast 208in/lbs, and are fully metal geared, whereas many "MG" servos have one nylon gear still. There is one review out there where the guy talks about unsupported wires inside the case, and that vibrations over time could theoretically break a wire and cause the unit to fail. Maybe not for a throttle servo, but great for steering.

I have yet to have one fail, I bought a four pack awhile back for something like 35 bucks.

Savox probably makes the best high quality servos for the money. If you can't afford those then the only budget servos I would actually recommend would be PPP servos off of ebay. I believe theyre about $40. they arent what I call great but theyre ok for the money. I used em for awhile before I started using Savox. but for not much more money you can pick up some models of Savox servos used. No offense to to Surlyman but I would not recommend the MG995 serovs. I've owned some of them and some of the MG996R's as well. The specs on them are over stated. and theres other internet sources where theyve been tested not just me saying this. Theyre really slow, and in my opinion there probably more like 160 maybe 170oz/in max. That being said @Surlyman if you want to buy MG995s (I'm not judging) I would actually recommend that you get the MG996R's instead. Theyre basically the same except the MR995s have a bit of a centering problem. Just a thought :)

No worries, no offense taken @Greywolf74. As I said I was expecting to get ridiculed for it haha. In all honesty I bought them while I was between a rock and a hard place as a temporary fix years ago expecting to go through them like nitro while I purchased something els, the two I have installed are still working and I have two more in the parts bin haha. I do agree the specs are probably higher than what it actually puts out as it can't quite take my Savage lock-to-lock on pavement, but in its defense the servo saver soaks up a bunch.

Also interesting you mention the centering issue, today I noticed I was constantly adjusting the steering trim, every time I brought the truck back to me, the tires would be turned just a bit one way or the other, not enough to make it turn, but enough that it wouldn't quite roll straight. I'd look into the R model but when/if I munch through all these, i'll be upgrading haha.

Hey, the saying still holds true today, you get what you pay for. But at 8 bucks shipped, they are pretty rad.

I hear ya. I ordered a handful of 995s and 996s just to try em out cuz I figured what the heck theyre dirt cheap. turns out I didnt use em very long but I like to try budget items out cuz every once in a while you find an unpolished gem. These werent gems but at least I learned about em and now I can pass on what I know about them to other people. :)

Yeah, most certainly not an endgame option, but they keep you between the ditches. And when high-end servos come in at $60+, that's an extra several hundred percent over the cost of 995, are they several hundred precent better? Suppose the beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder? I think I got that right haha.

But yeah on the 995 for this particular scenario, I was just suggesting something to get an SS kit steering on the cheap, but still have durable steering. Because like @Greywolf74 said, if a person is going to spend $40 on an "okay" product such as the PPP servos, they may as well spend the extra 20% and get the far better unit, i.e. Savox/Hitec but a $60 servo brings the potential build cost up considerably.

Absolutely thats why I mentioned that really, between the K4.6 and the 5.9, id take the 4.6 anyhow and to just run it. Grab an SS kit, FLM TVP's, XL extended axles and a TF40 tx/rx.

But that if someone was looking to the 5.9 for the added power, that there are much, much better options out there. And that one could pull the 4.6 and sell it as new to fund said superior option, the FLM TVP's, and the XL extended axles. Total capital investment would be about that of a stock xl.

Just mentally adding it up, selling on the low side, and buying on the high side.

I Get $585 At XL length with a rotostart, or $610 Extended length with a pull starter. This is the aprox same price, better alternative to an XL RTR at $600. Give or take some for shipping variables. Pricing doesn't include a 3 speed, but the 2 speed is good for $20 bucks, and a 3 speed goes for around 60. But the two speed is just fine if not better suited for abuse. And a person would get the hop ups that come with the SS, adjustable upper arms, tuned aluminum pipe, ect.

Again, the XL is awesome, and its ready to go out of the box. The method described above would have a few weeks of down time buying and selling.

The way I see it, there are two currencies in the world, time & money, and you can compensate one with the other.
Looks like I'm getting ready for a new Savage Too many people like them. What do you all recommend for a good Steering Servo? Please not just brand . Model number would be a great help.

When I go to replace the servo in my savvy I'm either gonna use this if it will fit (its a really tall servo):

Savox SB-2231SG Ultra Fast Brushless Tall Steel Gear Digital Servo

Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x45.0
Weight(g): 84.0
Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .14
Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 444.4
Speed(@7.4V sec/60): .10
Torque(@7.4V oz-in): 555.5
Gear: Unique Steel
Bearing: 2BB
Case: Full Aluminum
25 Tooth Spline
Frequency: 250-333hz
Pulse Width Frequency: 1520

or this:

Savox SV-1270TG High Voltage Monster Torque Titanium Gear Digital Servo

Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x37.2
Weight(g): 56
Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .14
Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 361.1
Speed(@7.4V sec/60): .11
Torque(@7.4V oz-in): 487.7
Gear: Titanium & Aluminum
Bearing: 2BB
Case: Aluminum
25 Tooth Spline
Frequency: 250-333hz
Pulse Width Frequency: 1520

Hot damn.

The specs on the tall gear model are impressive to say the least. But certainly not light on the wallet haha.

But dang, ill have to hop aboard that boat too when I'm in the market for a new one!

Well Guys I did the math 4 times . Just ordered a Savage XL 5.9 ! Should be here tuesday maybe wednesday!

Back