Looking for a RTR Buggy Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gokwhossj5

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello I'm about to buy a 1/8 rtr buggy the ones i have found that i can get are out of these Kyosho 7.5 sport,Hot Boddies Lightining or Lightining2 rtr, Power Racing Swift rtr, Gs Storm Plus,or XTM X-Terminator Deluxe rtr,Ofna hyper 7 PBS or 9.5 Violator I'm going to be doing around 50%racing and 50% bashing so i want somthing pretty strong and all of these are under $400 thats kinda my max since i need to buy every thing else for it. Please give me answer's on which one you think is best and why you think it is and whats bad with them and i already have a 200oz servo for steering I would really appreciate it thank you.:cheers: If i have posted in the wrong spot please forgive me I'm new to the forum.

I would buy the hyper 7 pbs. It has a strong engine, its durable, and its fast as hell.

buy mayhem or hot bodies lightning 2 pro
because they are good cars

Welcome to the board. If you do a search you will find a TON of info on all of these buggies. Just a quick suggestion,if your racing,does the track you run at allow a mill bigger than the "standard" .21?? If not that will narrow your choices. Also look to see what your local hobby shop carries as for parts,this will help when you break a arm or something and just want to run it and dont want to wait for a online shop to send it.

That all said,I would say the Storm(I have one) or the Hyper if you have to keep it .21.

look at my newest post called "buggy bashing" a couple threads down. it has very helpful advise on both aspects racing and bashing.

Thanks for the reply's and yes only .21 is allowed and parts for all of these are easy to get the lhs carry's all of these cause i hear I should get the swift but i dont really see many good thing's on it besides the radio and some graphite and how is your Storm is it the plus or the older 1 and is there anything i should change if i get it.Ofna's pbs is good to nice motor but i called them up and some dude had an attitude so that kinda turned me off to Ofna,Power Racing Swift guys and GS were nice.Hey do you have any videos of you storm running if so any way you can send to me so i can check it out and thank you again for replying.

i had a hyper, just sold it after a full rebuild. have a storm pro and a SUT (storm truck). the storm plus is a good buggy w/room to upgrade things as u want. the B01 engine is very powerful, more than enuff for you especially in a race situation. makin laps and not makin mistakes will net u far more than a novarossi engine 4 example. its far easier to tune than the hyper 8. and rebuilds/parts are that motor are dirt cheap. and yes the GS folks are nice. they have helped me quite a bit already in helpin me w/my 2 GS products.

dont any vids of a my storm truck (buggy is still b'g rebuilt) b/c my cherished dvcam went to 'camera heaven' or else i'd have plenty. only had vids of my hyper.

i will give u the line on what u need/or should do on the GS stuff. hypers too. a good buggy w/easy 2 get parts and your ability to learn how to drive it and make setup changes will see you beatin more than a few xRays, mugens, k-buggies, etc w/all their glitzy motors and pipes.

ever seen the look of pissyness or concealed dejection when a Storm Truggy (what a SUT is) on 3 occasions runs down a mod'd RB s7'd hyper PCR from 1/2-1/3track back over course of 2-3 laps? its quite funny 2 look at actually.

for starters, if u had 2 do 1 mod outta the box b4 u broke it in. i'd say do the steering plate and upgrade to the pro. ball bearing'd piece instead of sleeve races, MUCH stronger, wont bend or twist. well worth money.

-Ult

Last edited:
I dont have any vids of mine,(older one,but same as the new RTR)but I have raced it a few times now. Yes the mill is okon them,easy to tune,decent power. I have broken 2 arms,but they were MY fault(I can't drive). I have ran it pretty hard,and it always comes back for more. You will have to fill the diffs when you get it, and thats about it. Pro bits are nice,but I have none. Just some thicker towers I made up at work,the stocks looked a little thin,but I never had a prob. with them.

Hey i just found out from the guys at the track that i can run a buggy at any size engine in club races so now i can get a buggy with a bigger engine they sayed i shouldnt get anything bigger then a .27 because after that its just to much power for the buggy if you have any advice on which buggy with a big engine would be good I'm open and i was looking at ofna 9.5 Violatoror an XTM X-Terminator Deluxe if you know of somthing better would you tell me please thnak you.

I have never run eithe of those buggies. With that said, From what I have read, and other people's opinions I would go with the XTM.

I have a 24.7 engine, and its a kick ass engine! Its extremely easy to tune and very very strong.

What parts does the hobby shop at the track carry? The XTM sounds like a nice buggy,but from what I have seen all parts will be bought online. I would go with the Violator between the 2. Both have good engines,and Ofna parts are usually easy to find. What it the $$$ limit/range you are looking at?