buggy/truggy/MT - ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I know this is a loaded question but I'm looking for what would be the best for me: a buggy, truggy or monster truck. I have a Revo 3.3 and really like it but the neighbors...not so much. I want to keep the Revo a nitro because there are places that I can drive to and run it but I'd like an electric to run around in the neighborhood. I would be driving on the street, in the back yard, in the green space around the corner and at a track. The track driving would be at most a couple of times a month and right now I don't have any serious aspirations of racing.

My initial thought was to get an E-Revo since it would be the same as I already have and could share parts if needed. Now I'm thinking about get something different.

- Buggy: looks like a lot of fun but I'm worried about the ground clearance since probably 50% of the driving would be in grass.

- Truggy: More ground clearance and would still be fun on the track. A converted Mugen MBX6TR looks mega-sweet but that's a lot of money to spend. Really wish they had a MBX6TR Eco roller like the buggy.

- Monster truck: An E-Revo like I said. There have been many positive reviews about the Thunder Tiger MT4-G3.

I'm really looking for some help please. I won't be buying right away since i'm trying to avoid the impulse buy, but I would like to get a price in mind and set the money aside. Thanks.

My suggestion would be either the HPI savage flux for an MT or the trophy flux for a truggy. The savage has been proven to be a great basher. The trophy flux, although not track worthy, handles much better than the savage and also makes a great basher IMO.

Last edited:
^Agreed^ With the type and styles of driving it sounds like you are going to do I would look at the Flux as well. I dont have a Savage myself but I dont think I've heard any negative feedback from anyone ever having 1 nitro or electric. The groundclearance issue would be all set with a MT over a buggy/truggy anyway.

I've seen mixed reviews on youtube about the Savage Flux HP. Poor battery door design, but that is easily fixed with velcro straps, and the size is an issue for 3s batteries. That said running on 6s looks bonkers - it flips a lot, giant pizza cutter wheels, can't get to full throttle. Full throttle isn't a big deal since I'm not going to be trying to break any speed records (or just run it on 4s). The wheels have a weird hex and need to be upgraded to run 17mm/aftermarket. Again not a huge deal, it might come with the conversion or isn't that expensive. I haven't really seen anything from people that actually own it and have been running it for a while though so I'm not sure what to think. The nitro Savages have a great reputation but the Flux is not the same from what I have been able to find.

Mixed reviews for Trophy Flux too. Some say it's not very durable but watching some of the videos they are doing things I never would and it seems to hold up.

The Vorza Flux is one of many E-buggies that look like a lot fun but won't be if temperatures running in grass are an issue.

I have no clue.

Honestly not real sure what your reading ... Savages are tough as nails and built like a tank, they also handle about as good as tanks :)

If you want to jump and bash pretty hard I would get the savage and never look back. If you want something that is going to handle well and take some decent abuse then look at an e-revo. Just keep in mind the erevo is not going to take anywhere near the abuse of the savage.

Honestly not real sure what your reading ... Savages are tough as nails and built like a tank, they also handle about as good as tanks :)

If you want to jump and bash pretty hard I would get the savage and never look back. If you want something that is going to handle well and take some decent abuse then look at an e-revo. Just keep in mind the erevo is not going to take anywhere near the abuse of the savage.

joshman,

Thank you for replying. These are the reviews I watched:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6qPv3KdEFU"]HPI Savage Flux HP Review - YouTube[/ame]

In this one he seems to be trying to break something but it's still a good review i think.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqcWBcHU-n8"]HPI Savage Flux HP Review - YouTube[/ame]

In this one he blows the tire out on purpose but gives it a good review.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltJRCjM6T_A&feature=related"]RC ADVENTURES - BOOM! HPI SAVAGE FLUX HP 4WD MT - 6S LiPO - SHREDDiNG PURE POWER - YouTube[/ame]

I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative, that is not my intention. I just wanted to share what I had watched. Thanks for your time.

I can't stop looking at hpi trophy truggy flux, it looks real nice. I think that may be my next big rc purchase.

I watched all of those video reviews and honestly dont agree with a single thing they are saying. Basically they are complaining becuase of the price of the HP and they want it to handle like a truggy or something.

Is the HP perfect? NO. Is it way ahead of anything else in its class for extreme bashing? YES.

Basically if your going to bash hard then there isnt a single RTR rig out there that will not need atleast minor upgrades. The HP basically needs a little bit of shock work and some velcro straps on the battery doors and it is a solid basher.

Thanks for taking taking the time to watch the videos and your thoughts.

Buddy go with what you want. Just don't go with a buggy if you're going to be bashing on grass! If didn't have a MT already I'd be saving my pennies for a savage flux, but like I said the wife wants me to sell one before I get another our we move to a bigger house. It's reasonable we're out of space with all my fish stuff, hockey, golf and RC equipment and her make up and amassing large quanities of everyday items that are sale and even cheaper with coupons. I ain't complaining about that, it makes life cheaper and it's her hobby so. Oh and we're in the process of shopping for a new house.

So what did you finally settle on?

I ended up getting the Thunder Tiger MT4-G3. I've only had it out once and then the weather has turned to crap. I like it though.

It's got good punch and the steering servo is pretty decent. Batteries are a tight fit but it's workable. The only downsides are the advertised upgraded radio is a downgrade imo and parts will be a week away if something breaks.

Thanks again.

I have heard that thing is a monster and from what I have seen the design looks pretty cool. I think you will be plenty happy with that rig and I doubt you will be waiting for parts very often as it is a pretty durable rig.

Post up some pics when you get a chance!

I just can't seem to find time to take the pictures and upload them so I'm going to post up someone else's. Dishwasher quit so had to buy and install a new one. Now this week my 1:1 packed it in.

My truck looks exactly the same except I have the red body. I will still try and get a picture of it sitting next to my Revo for a size comparison.

mt4.jpg

mt5.jpg

mt6.jpg

mt7.jpg

I just can't seem to find time to take the pictures and upload them so I'm going to post up someone else's. Dishwasher quit so had to buy and install a new one. Now this week my 1:1 packed it in.

My truck looks exactly the same except I have the red body. I will still try and get a picture of it sitting next to my Revo for a size comparison.

mt4.jpg

mt5.jpg

mt6.jpg

mt7.jpg

I know that feeling my man! My summer was crap. Work was very busy, worked to much overtime and then weekends well somewhat of a weekend I worked Saturdays too, went to doing things around the house or spending much needed time with the Missus. I did have a week off, that went to completely tearing down the bathroom and redoing it.

Now that the weathers getting pretty cold up here in Canada, my work has slowed down I still get 44hours but now I have the time for RC. So hello indoor onroad and offload season, I'm in the middle of building a vta car just waiting on the motor, ESC and batteries then I hope to start and finish the build in a weekend. I hope it comes tomorrow and this is the weekend, then I start to set up an buggy for indoor as well.

Back